Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GM back to #1 in sales

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2007, 10:34 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thumbs up GM back to #1 in sales

http://channels.isp.netscape.com/pf/...20071021TOK103

"Toyota Motor Corp.'s worldwide vehicle sales for the first nine months of this year - at 7.05 million vehicles - also fell short of Detroit-based General Motors Corp.'s sales of 7.06 million vehicles for the same period."

It's a small lead, but we'll take it.
Old 10-23-2007, 11:51 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Damn looks like they will be loosing a few customers too, w/ all the recent recalls.
Old 10-24-2007, 09:33 AM
TECH Addict

Damn what can GM do to stay in the lead. These recalls for Toyota are going to slow them down but not by much. Had it been GM recalls it would have been all over the news. Least they are fighting back and doing alot better.
-Joel
Old 10-24-2007, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Well, the G8, New Camaro, and Malibu should bury the Hatchet pretty well!
Old 10-24-2007, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

what were all the recalls toyota had? did they just announce a bunch of them?
Old 10-24-2007, 03:57 PM
12 Second Club

WOW!!
Could things actually be turning around for not just GM, but the other domestics as well??
I caught Autoline Detroit on Speed today, and they pointed out TOY's recall problems , and how the settlements with the UAW will help out the Big 3 against the Asian/Nippon onslaught (albeit not until a few years from now ).

Some of the best news was that the domestics "repatriated" (I call it "un-traitorizing" ) some of the Nippon Giant's top/best American executives by "courting" them and then "stealing them away" from TOY/Lexus!! I had a big smile on my face after hearing this!!!
Old 10-25-2007, 09:20 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by OctaneZ28
http://channels.isp.netscape.com/pf/...20071021TOK103

"Toyota Motor Corp.'s worldwide vehicle sales for the first nine months of this year - at 7.05 million vehicles - also fell short of Detroit-based General Motors Corp.'s sales of 7.06 million vehicles for the same period."

It's a small lead, but we'll take it.
Apparently GM's sales included #'s from a joint venture they own less than 50% off (normally those numbers wouldn't be included):

TOKYO (Reuters) -- General Motors Corp appears to have inched past Toyota Motor Corp in global sales so far this year as U.S. sales at the Japanese carmaker slipped last quarter, but some counts may leave Toyota in pole position.

Toyota, the world's most valuable automaker worth $190 billion -- or nine times as much as GM -- said today its consolidated global sales grew 7 percent in January-September to 7.05 million vehicles.

That was a shade short of GM's 7.06 million vehicles, which marked a 2 percent rise for the same period.

But GM's tally includes sales of vehicles built at a joint venture in China in which it holds a minority stake, cars that some industry watchers exclude.

Automotive News, a leading industry publication, said Toyota overtook its U.S. rival as the world's largest automaker last year.

The publication excluded 420,140 vehicles sold at the China venture, which is majority held by SAIC Motor Corp, from GM's sales.

Toyota's tally includes sales at minivehicle unit Daihatsu Motor Co <7262.T> and truck maker Hino Motors Ltd, in which Toyota holds stakes of more than 50 percent.

GM said last week its global sales grew 4 percent to a record 2.38 million vehicles in the third quarter, although sales in North America fell 6 percent.

America's biggest carmaker, which lost more than $12 billion in the past two years, is in the middle of a sweeping restructuring that includes cutting more than 34,000 jobs and closing 12 plants in North America.

Toyota is on its way to another year of record profits, aided by healthy sales growth in Europe, China and many emerging markets.
Old 10-25-2007, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Im just glad to hear that they arent falling off, hopefully Toyota's recalls will help englighten people to the fact those cars arent all theyre cracked up to be
Old 10-25-2007, 09:39 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ericbigmac83
Im just glad to hear that they arent falling off, hopefully Toyota's recalls will help englighten people to the fact those cars arent all theyre cracked up to be
Theres nothing wrong with recalls. The problems lies with the manufactor, who ignores the issues. So far, Toyota is owning up to their mistakes.
Old 10-25-2007, 01:47 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by modmotor
Theres nothing wrong with recalls. The problems lies with the manufactor, who ignores the issues. So far, Toyota is owning up to their mistakes.
You're right. After having to be taken to court, and forced to recall/fix their "sludge pig" Camrys.

WOW! You really do want to see them (your TOY/Japan, Inc.) win, don't you?? It's even beyond just "consumerism", or the lemming/sheeple standard, "I just buy the 'best' product for my money", right??
Do you also root against the U.S. teams in the Olympics/international competition?? How about our enemies in military wars, are you "gung ho" for them as well?
I bet you are "Chrissy" (25/45/****/etc., whatever the f*** you'll call yourself next).

Last edited by dailydriver; 10-25-2007 at 02:00 PM.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:03 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Originally Posted by dailydriver
I bet you are "Chrissy" (25/45/****/etc., whatever the f*** you'll call yourself next).
It is surely him, I wish he would just admit it. Same bad sentence structure and pointless rambling, overuse of commas, etc.

If it isnt him they went to the same school.
Old 10-25-2007, 04:05 PM
14 Second Truck Club

What about when Toyota's own domestic government had to step in on their recalls and procedures? Didnt hear much about that.
Old 10-25-2007, 05:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mzoomora
It is surely him, I wish he would just admit it. Same bad sentence structure and pointless rambling, overuse of commas, etc.

It is him, just do a search on his posts lol.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:35 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by mzoomora

Yup, same dude. Not very good at the incognito gig. The fact that he appears in any thread where even a passing mention of Toyota is made gives it away.

As for that article, if we are going to include/exclude sales of venture companies, we need to do it completely or not at all. Otherwise we end up counting the vehicles from a company that is 51% Toyota, and not counting vehicles from a company that is 49% GM.
Old 10-25-2007, 07:38 PM
Restricted User

Theres nothing wrong with recalls...So far, Toyota is owning up to their mistakes.
GM's been doing that since time began. Toyota is new to the "OH...that...yeah sorry, our bad" way of thinking.

LOL @ the "there's nothing wrong with recalls" comment. I bet you'd try to sell me a wrecked car at full price and tell me "there's nothing wrong with flames in the engine compartment".
Old 10-25-2007, 07:41 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
GM's been doing that since time began. Toyota is new to the "OH...that...yeah sorry, our bad" way of thinking.

LOL @ the "there's nothing wrong with recalls" comment. I bet you'd try to sell me a wrecked car at full price and tell me "there's nothing wrong with flames in the engine compartment".
Exactly! The whole point of a recall is that there is something GRIEVOUSLY WRONG with the car.
Old 10-25-2007, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
I bet you'd try to sell me a wrecked car at full price and tell me "there's nothing wrong with flames in the engine compartment".
Dude I pissed myself when I saw that...

Quick Reply: GM back to #1 in sales