Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

MoreToe Otta Vs GM Stuff

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2008, 12:58 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MoreToe Otta Vs GM Stuff

Is one brand better than the other? Well, give me the facts and let me figure it out. OK the facts.

The true cost, ie value of a car, is figured by many factors. Few folks think a dealer ever gives more for a trade then it's worth. I've never heard anyone say they received too much for a trade from a dealer. They might tell their friends "I screwed that dealer."

We have a standard trade form thats filled out by all sales associates. Common knowledge at this dealership is fill it out completely, have the customer on a car, we don't need trade in practice quotes. You'll get the most that way. Ask the customer what they have done in the last year to improve the value of their car. One valuable tool for most Import cars is to ask this question. Can you show me when you replaced your timing belt last? Most Toe Otta and other Jap brand customers look at you and. You know they want to tell you they don't talk Japanees. If you find one who knows many Toe Otta and Jap brand cars trucks timing belts need replaced at 60K, per the manufacturer. You have a customer who has performed what was needed to their cars. That car then becomes more valuable worth more as a trade. Put and extra buck into the trade made the deal.

Why does any manufacturer put anything on any engine that doesn't last
100K. A car isn't worn out at 100K but it can be.. Why doi so many Jap brands, including Toe Otta do this?

An old man and his dog - Jake
Old 02-04-2008, 09:39 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This is why I like saying this:

"A Toyota with 100,000 miles needs a $1,000 timing belt replacement.
A GM with 100,000 miles is still under warranty."

Old 02-05-2008, 04:14 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by OctaneZ28
This is why I like saying this:

"A Toyota with 100,000 miles needs a $1,000 timing belt replacement.
A GM with 100,000 miles is still under warranty."

Toyota is 90K for the belt replacement. Subaru is 105K. Weird considering Subaru has much longer belts with their Flat 4's.

Originally Posted by Jakes Dad
Is one brand better than the other? Well, give me the facts and let me figure it out. OK the facts.

The true cost, ie value of a car, is figured by many factors. Few folks think a dealer ever gives more for a trade then it's worth. I've never heard anyone say they received too much for a trade from a dealer. They might tell their friends "I screwed that dealer."

We have a standard trade form thats filled out by all sales associates. Common knowledge at this dealership is fill it out completely, have the customer on a car, we don't need trade in practice quotes. You'll get the most that way. Ask the customer what they have done in the last year to improve the value of their car. One valuable tool for most Import cars is to ask this question. Can you show me when you replaced your timing belt last? Most Toe Otta and other Jap brand customers look at you and. You know they want to tell you they don't talk Japanees. If you find one who knows many Toe Otta and Jap brand cars trucks timing belts need replaced at 60K, per the manufacturer. You have a customer who has performed what was needed to their cars. That car then becomes more valuable worth more as a trade. Put and extra buck into the trade made the deal.

100K. A car isn't worn out at 100K but it can be.. Why doi so many Jap brands, including Toe Otta do this?

That is a good question. Toyota used to recommend 60K til the replacement of the timing system. Now they recommend 90K.

I would guess they use a belt for low noise and cost as compared to a chain which can last longer. Doesn't that say something about the Nippons?

You tell me how you expect to crank serious power out of a Toyota motor with the factory timing system metal core belt or not.

The problem with this is that the belt system is designed for factory power. Go outside of that and how can your belt system keep proper tension on the belt? Surely it is possible to loose a tooth on the belt or loose the correct timing due to streching of the belt under a lot of power.

Last edited by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed; 02-05-2008 at 04:21 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 04:51 PM
Banned

There's no difference in the material used to make either a Japanese or Domestic timing belt. It is only wise for someone to change the belt before its recommended service anyways.

I dont understand the purpose of your post considering Ive had hell with my 2004 Tahoe's:

power window switch(twice)
power window motor(twice driver, once passenger)
transmisson x3 (replaced one under warranty twice and one at 104k)
brakes(worste brake problems Ive ever encountered)

All those listed should last longer than a timing belt, but does it? No! We can look at another scenario called oil changes. Manufactors recommend changing them at 3000 mile intervals. Again, do we? No!
Old 02-05-2008, 05:21 PM
Banned

If you want to keep comparing Toyota vs GM, lets try to gather why Toyota is 13 times more profitable than GM.

"General Motors General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM) has a current market capitalization of $18 billion versus the behemoth Toyota Motor Corp. (NYSE: TM) with a massive market capitalization of $236 billion, over 13 times bigger than GM. Yet on the surface one would never guess these numbers as their revenues are fairly close in comparison: GM for 2007, estimates revenues of $173 billion, and Toyota's at $200 billion."

http://www.briefing.com/GeneralConte...39HeadlineHits

These post you makes are pointless/useless.

Last edited by suprastars; 02-05-2008 at 05:32 PM.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by suprastars
If you want to keep comparing Toyota vs GM, lets try to gather why Toyota is 13 times more profitable than GM.

"General Motors General Motors Corp. (NYSE: GM) has a current market capitalization of $18 billion versus the behemoth Toyota Motor Corp. (NYSE: TM) with a massive market capitalization of $236 billion, over 13 times bigger than GM. Yet on the surface one would never guess these numbers as their revenues are fairly close in comparison: GM for 2007, estimates revenues of $173 billion, and Toyota's at $200 billion."

http://www.briefing.com/GeneralConte...39HeadlineHits

Why pull stock market banter into this? What does it have to do with the long term reliability of a particular engine?
Old 02-05-2008, 06:57 PM
14 Second Truck Club

Yeah, it couldnt possibly be the the manipulated exchange rates, non union work force, lower benefits costs, unfair overseas trade, etc., etc., etc......

Your posts are completely useless and uneducated. Toyota is more profitable because they enjoy many unfair advantages and our own government just helps them out with tax breaks. Also research how Toyota reacts when their workers have tried to organize and become union.

Also, most manufacturers do not recommend 3000 mile oil changes any more. And it is funny to hear all your BS about your 04 Tahoe when my 04 Silverado has been perfect- User error? Abuse? Probably like the guy at work who was complaining that his power windows stopped working after I had watched him a few times wash his car with the windows cracked open.
Old 02-05-2008, 06:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

http://www.lemonauto.com/complaints/...ota_tundra.htm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWjTbiYo3x0
https://ls1tech.com/forums/showpost....00&postcount=9
Old 02-05-2008, 08:11 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by mzoomora
Yeah, it couldnt possibly be the the manipulated exchange rates, non union work force, lower benefits costs, unfair overseas trade, etc., etc., etc......

Your posts are completely useless and uneducated. Toyota is more profitable because they enjoy many unfair advantages and our own government just helps them out with tax breaks. Also research how Toyota reacts when their workers have tried to organize and become union.

Also, most manufacturers do not recommend 3000 mile oil changes any more. And it is funny to hear all your BS about your 04 Tahoe when my 04 Silverado has been perfect- User error? Abuse? Probably like the guy at work who was complaining that his power windows stopped working after I had watched him a few times wash his car with the windows cracked open.

1. GM (and Ford, to a lesser extent) has been much too slow to downsize in an era (spanning 50 years or so) when three or four dominant manufacturers in the NA market became 15 or 20. It was inevitable in such a hyper-competitive environment that some "evening out" would occur, and they should have planned to shrink and consolidate a bit to accomodate that (Instead they signed hugely limiting labor contracts in the 90s guaranteeing their workforce jobs forever, an enormously unrealistic projection). But of course, shrinking is an unpopular term at board meetings, and GM is driven by the whim of the board, which shifts so frequently they can't possibly make a long-term plan for growth and have any hope of sticking to it.

2. GM (and Ford to a lesser extent! ) are "enjoying" the legacy of neglecting to compete with product for the last couple of decades. Buyers aren't very interested unless they put cash on the hood that amounts to 1/4 or 1/3 of the MSRP of the vehicle. For some import devotees, reliability is a question mark. When Hyundai had that problem, they slapped on a huge long 0-deductible warranty to show people the product would last and work without problems (and would be repaired for free if it didn't), and sales jumped right up. Now Hyundai is reinvesting those profits, new models are coming out, and all of a sudden it is a JD Power champ. Why the domestics have not taken this route is anybody's guess.

3. Legacy costs dictate that GM's price will have to be $1500 or $2000 higher than the price of a comparable vehicle from other manufacturers. They will get that down a bit over time with further negotiations on the whoel healthcare issue, but there is no quick fix there.

And of course, on the other side, Toyota is very methodical about growth. It doesn't want anything to do with growth in leaps and bounds, because that is not the way a company grows sustainably. a few more percentage points here, a few more there. They have the type of long-term vision for their company that I don't think the domestics will ever be able to mimic. Problem is, without a long-term vision and an iron-clad commitment to stick to it, you get the kind of waffling around Ford has done in the last 15 years (first they're up, then they're down, we're on what, the third recovery plan now and STILL the analysts think Ford will need another one after this one?). GM does the same. Both companies need to decide something and stick to it through thick and thin.

I do congratulate GM on not just tossing their commitment to reduced MSRPs and reduced cash incentives when the going got tough a few months back. And they have just reiterated that they will reduce fleet sales another 60K or 70K this year, another positive step that follows the plan they set forth.

When all is said and done, the big 3 (Ford, GM, Toyota) will all settle just shy of 20% market share in the NA market I think. GM's job now is to stay ahead of Toyota. It has the edge in trucks, and with their fiercely loyal following it shouldn't be too hard to keep. But they can't just let the problem take care of itself - they will have to take active measures to keep the edge.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Why is it always people with low post counts who seem to stir the boiling soup we call LS1Tech.com.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
Why is it always people with low post counts who seem to stir the boiling soup we call LS1Tech.com.
hmmm... and its weird that every single fanboy talks about problems with their 04 tahoe?? coincidence? oh probably because its the same person that keeps getting banned! I wouldn't be surprised in the least to find out chrissy is hired by toyota as some propaganda effort geared towards swaying people that buy their own country's products to buy from the japanese

p.s. your screen names keep getting worse and you are first person i have heard refer to the big 3 with toyo included lol the big 3 are AMERICAN
Old 02-05-2008, 08:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

**** The Toyota, **** the Honda, **** the Subaru....
Old 02-05-2008, 09:56 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by My1st Truck
**** The Toyota, **** the Honda, **** the Subaru....
You should hate GM as well then, considering they utilize Isuzu(Toyota part ownership) to power their 2500/3500 trucks. You should also hate GM for outsourcing the:

Radio
Tires
Rims
Suspension components
Dashboard
etc...

You should also consider not purchasing anything from Holden, since its vehicles are built in Australia, by Australians.
Old 02-05-2008, 10:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Dude go away...
Old 02-05-2008, 10:18 PM
10 Second Club

Question

You should hate GM as well then, considering they utilize Isuzu(Toyota part ownership) to power their 2500/3500 trucks. You should also hate GM for outsourcing the:

Radio
Tires
Rims
Suspension components
Dashboard
etc...

You should also consider not purchasing anything from Holden, since its vehicles are built in Australia, by Australians.
Ever hear the phrases: "throwing the baby out with the bathwater" or "cutting off one's nose to spite their face"?

Why is it that when a person expresses their devotion to domestic nameplate vehicles or even shows some disdain for import nameplate ones someone else has to play the 'minor parts content' card?
So say I love GM and Ford and wish to support a U.S. based corporation because I am, well, a proud American and should want to do that just as I would support and honor the U.S. military or even my U.S. sports teams. Yet because a few of these vehicle's parts might be manufactured offshore I may as well bail on that idea and buy a Toyota or Honda instead, vehicles from a Japanese corporation?

Got a hangnail so may as well just amputate the whole arm, right?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by My1st Truck
Dude go away...

Next time you purchase a SUV, you should consider where your parts are coming from. You precious Equinox, is a Suzuki/GM joint venture. While you transmission was built in Japan and your engine was built in China .

What are you arguing again?
Old 02-05-2008, 10:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Radio
Tires
Rims
Suspension components
Dashboard
etc...

The question is to whom they outsource and to whom they supply more labour to. Is the trading partnership fair? Does it benefit the US more? GM wins.

Holden is GM. Don't tell me you didn't know Toyota has workforce in other counties! DOH! Someone messed up....
Old 02-05-2008, 11:06 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 2002_Z28_Six_Speed
The question is to whom they outsource and to whom they supply more labour to. Is the trading partnership fair? Does it benefit the US more? GM wins.

Holden is GM. Don't tell me you didn't know Toyota has workforce in other counties! DOH! Someone messed up....
Of course I know that Holden is GM. But the phrase "buy American" is thrown out the window.

Its pointless arguing whats built where! Nothing is 100% American anymore.
Old 02-06-2008, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Of course I know that Holden is GM. But the phrase "buy American" is thrown out the window.

Its pointless arguing whats built where! Nothing is 100% American anymore.
your certainly not american in the least bit... GM, ford, and dodge will be more american than toyota will ever be PERIOD and that is why my business will go to them. Sorry people on this board feel that way and you won't change anyone's mind. We live in a global market today and everyone understands that not every single part in an American brand name vehicle will be made in the USA, however, most of the parts will be. Go back to ilovetoyotaandhatemycountry.com
Old 02-06-2008, 03:52 AM
10 Second Club

Exclamation

Originally Posted by mzoomora
Yeah, it couldnt possibly be the the manipulated exchange rates, non union work force, lower benefits costs, unfair overseas trade, etc., etc., etc......Toyota is more profitable because they enjoy many unfair advantages and our own government just helps them out with tax breaks. Also research how Toyota reacts when their workers have tried to organize and become union.
Exactly.
Among other reasons:

http://www.economist.com/world/asia/...ry_id=10329261

Quick Reply: MoreToe Otta Vs GM Stuff