Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GM Strikes Back - Corvette ZR1 Laps the 'Ring in 7:26.4

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 01:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I want to see Jan behind the wheel, that thing is going to move! I hate seeing new info on it, because i love it so much and know i can't afford it.
-Joel
Old 06-28-2008, 08:15 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
Come on dude? You speak like i'm the one disregarding physics in this argument.

Bottom line is that we have record of nearly 200 different production cars running the ring. These times give an educated and experienced driver a damn good idea of what a given weight combined with a given hp can do. What people like you don't seem to grasp is that no amount of technology can overcome the basic laws of physics. Tires are getting grippier, sure...but they are still limited by the fact that they are simply pieces of rubber that derive grip from the downward forces applied to them. AWD is still limited by the fact that it only has four places to apply power. Traction control, yaw control, and stabilization algorithms are still limited by the fact that the vehicle they control is a finite and unchanging machine. The day that a car can transform into whatever it's computer system decides is optimum at the time, these things will change. But that day is not today.

The absolute unchanging end all of this argument is that a 38XXlb car with 480-550hp DOES NOT run a 7:29 on the Nurburgring. It just doesn't. No amount of arguing or reasoning is going to change that. You might as well just come to terms with it and move on...most already have.
You make absolutely no sense. Going by your logic, if your transam( a 3400-3500lb car) had 480hp, it would be able to beat a GTR on the Nurburgring. Simply because it weighs less? Suspension setup, awd, DSG transmission, center of gravity, powerband, or the simple fact it handles better have no place in your calculations. Its all about the weight,huh? I wouldn't be surprised if the best handling car you've ever driven was your Trans Am, lol.
I work on BMW's for a living and have driven plenty of other high end cars, trust me weight is a factor that can be overcome(to a point).

Going by that logic the ZR1 shouldnt have been able to best the Koenigsegg CCR's time given that it has a less power and more weight. Going by "your logic" anyways.
Old 06-28-2008, 09:52 AM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i'm still in awe of that damn CTS-V too lol 175 in a sedan
Old 06-28-2008, 12:13 PM
TECH Regular

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ go to youtube and type in brabus rocket in, 200 + in a sedan
Old 06-28-2008, 01:37 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kevin99hoss
^ go to youtube and type in brabus rocket in, 200 + in a sedan
226 is what ive heard. fifth gear was gonna try it but it broke and then plato didnt have enough room on the autobahn.

i wanna see a C6R driver in it with no headwind. juicy times await!
Old 06-28-2008, 02:03 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by bboyferal
I'm surprised nobody has brought up the V-Spec yet, though.
IF P.C. (Pissy Chrissy) were still on here, (or when he does get back on) THAT will be his very first import defense comeback, of course.
Hopefully, the ZR1 in the right hands can still obliterate the import fanboieezz 'savior 2.0'!!

I wonder if our #1 pimp for Japan is really gone for good??
Old 06-28-2008, 02:07 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Whisper
On another forum Im a member of one guy planning on buying a GTR says the GTR boards have had over 800 new members sign up today- all Vette trolls.

Maybe that will help make up for/counter all of the import fanboy trolls/I.D.L.ers on here.
Old 06-28-2008, 02:53 PM
TECH Addict

Does anyone know what kind of experience the engineer that drove it has in driving experience? Someone on Digital Corvettes pointed out that for all we know this could be the time that GM states for an average driver, and then they may post the time it cna do with an experienced driver behind the wheel. Which would make sense, since it can show what it can do, and what it can do with a normal person driving.
-Joel
Old 06-28-2008, 05:30 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
Does anyone know what kind of experience the engineer that drove it has in driving experience? Someone on Digital Corvettes pointed out that for all we know this could be the time that GM states for an average driver, and then they may post the time it cna do with an experienced driver behind the wheel. Which would make sense, since it can show what it can do, and what it can do with a normal person driving.
-Joel
This would have to be a very experienced driver, if he was able to run the fastest time ever on the nurburgring in a production car. The nordschleife is one of the most difficult tracks in the world(which is why its so highly held). For someone to run it under 8 minutes, regardless of the car, takes a very experienced person who's familiar with the track. Im pretty sure if they were to put any of us behind the wheel, it would take some time to get the car under a 9 minute pass.
Old 06-28-2008, 05:51 PM
Problem?

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

-Joel
I was going to say this about why they didn't use the "pro's". Not only did they set records they did it with an "engineer" Talk about adding insult to injury.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:00 PM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

-Joel

Actually, Jim Mero has a whole lot more than two weeks at the Ring. As was shown on the Speedvision program on the development of the C6, Mero was one of the key development test drivers for the C6. He has extensive time at the Ring and helped design GM’s Milford Road Course which is nicknamed the Lutzring. He is one of only about a dozen GM engineers (including John Heinricy) qualified to make Ring runs. See below for confirmation of same.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features..._anyway_column

Again he is no Jan in driving but a very good driver. From Bwright.
Old 06-28-2008, 07:11 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by meangreen94z
You make absolutely no sense. Going by your logic, if your transam( a 3400-3500lb car) had 480hp, it would be able to beat a GTR on the Nurburgring. Simply because it weighs less? Suspension setup, awd, DSG transmission, center of gravity, powerband, or the simple fact it handles better have no place in your calculations. Its all about the weight,huh? I wouldn't be surprised if the best handling car you've ever driven was your Trans Am, lol.
I work on BMW's for a living and have driven plenty of other high end cars, trust me weight is a factor that can be overcome(to a point).

Going by that logic the ZR1 shouldnt have been able to best the Koenigsegg CCR's time given that it has a less power and more weight. Going by "your logic" anyways.
Well my post was obviously over your head.

There is only one smidgen of claim in your post that has anything to do with my post...

weight is a factor that can be overcome(to a point).
To break it down for you, it's obvious to engineers and experienced drivers that 7:29 is well beyond "that point" for a 480hp 3800lb car. If you took time to study the runs posted by other vehicles in that speed range you'd understand what i'm saying.

But i'm done with this argument. It's widely accepted at this point that the 7:29 run is complete BS and totally useless. I'm not wasting my time arguing a moot point with one random guy on one forum.
Old 06-28-2008, 08:12 PM
11 Second Club

I acknowledge the GTR for what it is, but the fact that Nissan engineers' involved in this were so dishonest and misleading about their latest creation, I have lost respect for their product and reputation.

Those involved in the Nissan GTR propaganda campaign have no choice now but to commit seppuku.
Old 06-28-2008, 10:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Built LT1
Those involved in the Nissan GTR propaganda campaign have no choice now but to commit seppuku.
... leaving aside any blades for adorned table tennis paddles on a ritual mat in front of a showroom ZR-1.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:55 AM
TECH Addict

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/06/27/v...ing-virtually/

Looks like Porsche has the upper-hand in testing under the 'ring variables. They can now dyno their engines as if they are running the 'ring virtually. Basically they can perfect the engine for the harshness of the track, and the money they save to better develop the body/chassis. The video looks amazing watching the engine go through so many angles, and accelerate and decelerate as if they are on the track itself. Now with all companys wanting the all around performance, Porsche is now running an amazing way to test their engines to perfection.
-Joel
Old 06-29-2008, 09:58 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
Well my post was obviously over your head.

There is only one smidgen of claim in your post that has anything to do with my post...

To break it down for you, it's obvious to engineers and experienced drivers that 7:29 is well beyond "that point" for a 480hp 3800lb car. If you took time to study the runs posted by other vehicles in that speed range you'd understand what i'm saying.

But i'm done with this argument. It's widely accepted at this point that the 7:29 run is complete BS and totally useless. I'm not wasting my time arguing a moot point with one random guy on one forum.
You must be one of those people that still doesnt believe that man ever stepped on the moon. That technology/evolution isnt capable of letting us do something that hasnt been done before.

If you dont want to believe the Nurburgring time, thats fine. Theres more proof that it occured than proof that you have that it didnt occur(none). But please explain to me what happened on the many other tracks the GTR has been compared to the Z06. Explain to me How Road and Track ran the GTR 5.3 seconds faster then the Z06 through Buttonwillow Raceway. Explain to me how the stock GTR consistently finished ahead of the stock Z06 in the One Lap of America competition. Beating it by as much as 12 seconds at times.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:35 AM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i doubt the 7:29 time, cuz they didnt finish the full track (saw it in some comparison pics somwhere) but i dont care cuz the zr1 handed it it's ***.

as for the driver aspect, i think they are holding out on a really good one for the V-SPEC. whatever time that runs, theyll really let the STILL STOCK zr1 crush its hopes and dreams! anyone ever heard of Sabine Schmidtz? she can get a Ford Transit (moving van) around the 'ring in 10 minutes 8 seconds.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sJ_j5UX7PDo
i say let her run both cars around the track and lets see what they run!!

Last edited by WSsick; 06-29-2008 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-29-2008, 01:05 PM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

You must be one of those people that still doesnt believe that man ever stepped on the moon. That technology/evolution isnt capable of letting us do something that hasnt been done before.

If you dont want to believe the Nurburgring time, thats fine. Theres more proof that it occured than proof that you have that it didnt occur(none). But please explain to me what happened on the many other tracks the GTR has been compared to the Z06. Explain to me How Road and Track ran the GTR 5.3 seconds faster then the Z06 through Buttonwillow Raceway. Explain to me how the stock GTR consistently finished ahead of the stock Z06 in the One Lap of America competition. Beating it by as much as 12 seconds at times.
Not stock at OLOA: The R&T editors discuss the provenance of the GTRs used in testing. Nissan provided 3 GTRs for testing to the automotive press. A white, a silver, and a Black one. The black one was damaged somehow and was kept in reserve for parts. All three cars are US spec, but are definitely pre-production, and are classified as "engineering test cars", which is the only way they are legal for registration and operation on US roads. Once their lifecycle is done (90 days), they go to the crusher. This explains the caveats by C&D, and MT regarding the performance, and the extraordinary dyno result produced by the silver car.

That SAME silver car, with Michigan plates, is the one now competing in the One Lap. It is therefore NOT a production car, and if the dyno is any indication, is making a lot more power than the production car's certified 480.

Here are some various track times, a nock stock C5Z06 and 3 stock C6 Z06's:

Maybe a pattern here?

Road America- Car# 25 beats GTR
Mid America-# 25 & 16 beats GTR.
Mid America #2-# 25 & 16 beats GTR
Texas World-#25 beats GTR
Lone Star Drag-#20 & 25 beats GTR
No Problem-#25 & 16 beats GTR
No Problem #2-#25 beats GTR
Carolina-#25 beats GTR
VIR-# 23 beats GTR
VIR #2- #23, 20 & 25 beats GTR
VIR #3-#20 & 25 beats GTR
Beave Run-#25 beats GTR
Beave Run #2-#25 beats GTR
Beave Run #3-#25 & 16 beats GTR
Tire Rack-Car#25,16 & 20 beats GTR.

Care to explain?

Anyone see the new Car and Driver?

Z06
0-60 - 3.8
1/4 - 11.9@124
0-100 - 8.3
0-150 - 17.9
5-60 - 4.5

GTR
0-60 - 4.1
1/4 - 12.6-111
0-100 - 10.2
0-150 - 26.6
5-60 - 5.2

0-100= 2 seconds slower
0-150=8.7 seconds slower
5-60=.7 seconds slower

I guess this car is closer to the actual production car and not a ringer?
Old 06-29-2008, 01:09 PM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by WSsick
i doubt the 7:29 time, cuz they didnt finish the full track (saw it in some comparison pics somwhere) but i dont care cuz the zr1 handed it it's ***.

as for the driver aspect, i think they are holding out on a really good one for the V-SPEC. whatever time that runs, theyll really let the STILL STOCK zr1 crush its hopes and dreams! anyone ever heard of Sabine Schmidtz? she can get a Ford Transit (moving van) around the 'ring in 10 minutes 8 seconds.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=sJ_j5UX7PDo
i say let her run both cars around the track and lets see what they run!!

Your right. I will post again to those that missed this:

Also I just watched the GTR video and the start and end points are different.

The clock stops just after he makes that final turn.
The clock starts after he runs down that straight away which is after the final turn.

In the two images you can see the buildings on the left when the clock
starts yet you see the buildings on the left in the distance when the clock starts. That's probably 5 seconds right there.

If they pulled that bullsh!t it makes me wonder what else they did.

From David Yu:

I had the privilege of talking to all 6 drivers after their race at Le Mans yesterday.

I had a short chat with Jan Magnusson (after getting him to sign my entry ticket) and said he was my hero after seeing the shots of him doing the 7:43 time in the Z06.

He said they had already been out there trying to beat the Z06 time (in a current Z06) and he had driven the ZR1 and was blown away by it.

In his words "it is to the Z06, what the Z06 is to the regular C6"!

And he confidentally predicted it would post a Nordschleife lap time "in the 7:2x" range
Old 06-29-2008, 02:06 PM
10 Second Club

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by Suaveat69
The treadwear rating on the ZR1 is 220, same as all Corvettes and GMs current standard for the car. By comparison the GT-R has a 140 treadwear rating.
And that's a point I always bring up when people compare the results of factory stock vehicles on road courses (and acceleration times for that matter).
140 means FAR stickier than 220 and stickier is faster.
Yes, if that's the tire the manufacturer chose to put on their vehicle then that that's the way it is...but is it really fair to compare a car with tires that might last 25k-30k miles to one with tires that last only 10k miles or less?

And of course if one were to level that playing field by installing the same tires on both cars (tires are a 'wear' item and do get replaced eventually anyway) it would certainly skew the results.

Quick Reply: GM Strikes Back - Corvette ZR1 Laps the 'Ring in 7:26.4