Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GM Strikes Back - Corvette ZR1 Laps the 'Ring in 7:26.4

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2008, 02:25 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well didn't the CTS-V engineers say that you can gain about 10% more power with justa bit of tuning on the LSA? Well i can't wait to see what happens when a tuner gets their hands on the LS9. I got to see the ZR1 at Sebring and its like the vette from a different planet. Its an amazing looking car, and i would love to have one!
-Joel
Old 06-29-2008, 03:56 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by meangreen94z
You must be one of those people that still doesnt believe that man ever stepped on the moon. That technology/evolution isnt capable of letting us do something that hasnt been done before.
Ahem...

Originally Posted by blakbird24
...i'm done with this argument. It's widely accepted at this point that the 7:29 run is complete BS and totally useless. I'm not wasting my time arguing a moot point with one random guy on one forum.

If you dont want to believe the Nurburgring time, thats fine. Theres more proof that it occured than proof that you have that it didnt occur(none). But please explain to me what happened on the many other tracks the GTR has been compared to the Z06. Explain to me How Road and Track ran the GTR 5.3 seconds faster then the Z06 through Buttonwillow Raceway. Explain to me how the stock GTR consistently finished ahead of the stock Z06 in the One Lap of America competition. Beating it by as much as 12 seconds at times.
There's no proof that either the 7:38 time or 7:29 time occurred. All we have is one video showing the GT-R running the ring. There is no official timer shown in it. Those are facts. Stop wasting my time.

The GT-R beats the Z06 around some tracks for the same reason that the Z06 beats the GT-R around many more. Cars will always have tracks that they are better suited to than others.

BTW - the GT-R that ran the one lap of america was not stock. It was the same factory "test" car that ran the ring runs wearing r-comp tires and running modified boost maps.

Do you actually have any racing experience or are you just another internet bench racer wasting my time?
Old 06-29-2008, 04:06 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by Suaveat69
Your right. I will post again to those that missed this:

Also I just watched the GTR video and the start and end points are different.

The clock stops just after he makes that final turn.
The clock starts after he runs down that straight away which is after the final turn.
For the 7:29 run, they skipped the entire Betonschleife section...which is worth 6-7 secs for a car like the GT-R.
Old 06-29-2008, 04:30 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
For the 7:29 run, they skipped the entire Betonschleife section...which is worth 6-7 secs for a car like the GT-R.
You are right. they also did the same for the 7:38.
Old 06-29-2008, 05:47 PM
12 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

why dont they just stop the BS and run the car and give the time it runs? you only look dumb when people find you out. i cant wait for the PRODUCTION time.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:15 PM
Launching!

Your right. I will post again to those that missed this:

Also I just watched the GTR video and the start and end points are different.

The clock stops just after he makes that final turn.
The clock starts after he runs down that straight away which is after the final turn.

In the two images you can see the buildings on the left when the clock
starts yet you see the buildings on the left in the distance when the clock starts. That's probably 5 seconds right there.

If they pulled that bullsh!t it makes me wonder what else they did.

From David Yu:

I had the privilege of talking to all 6 drivers after their race at Le Mans yesterday.

I had a short chat with Jan Magnusson (after getting him to sign my entry ticket) and said he was my hero after seeing the shots of him doing the 7:43 time in the Z06.

He said they had already been out there trying to beat the Z06 time (in a current Z06) and he had driven the ZR1 and was blown away by it.

In his words "it is to the Z06, what the Z06 is to the regular C6"!

And he confidentally predicted it would post a Nordschleife lap time "in the 7:2x" range
The Nordschleife has remained a one-way, public toll-road for nearly 80 years except when it is closed off for testing purposes, training lessons or racing events. Since its opening in 1927, the track has been used by the public for the so-called "Touristenfahrten", i.e. to anyone with a road legal car or motorcycle, as well as tour buses, motor homes or cars with trailers. It is opened mainly on Sundays, but also on many Saturdays and weekday evenings. During the winter months, depending on weather conditions and maintenance work, the track may be closed for weeks.

During Touristenfahrten sessions, German road law (StVO) applies despite a common misconception assuming it is derestricted like in races. There is no general speed limit, however speed limits exist in certain areas in order to reduce noise and risks. As on public roads, passing on the right is prohibited, and the police take an extremely dim view of poor driving as they prosecute offenders with the aid of helicopters.

The cost for driving a single lap of the Nordschleife is 21 Euro for each car or motorcycle. Multi-lap tickets can be purchased for a lower per-lap price, such as 4 laps at a cost of €70 (€17.50 per lap). Additional multi-lap prices are 8 laps for €135, 15 laps for €235, or 25 laps for €370. An annual ticket with unlimited laps, valid from January to December, can be purchased for €995. All prices are current for the 2008 calendar year, and include VAT.

This Nürburgring version is a popular attraction for many driving and riding enthusiasts from all over the world, partly because of its history and the considerable challenge it still provides. The lack of oncoming traffic and intersections sets it apart from regular roads, and the absence of a blanket speed limit makes it an additional attraction mainly for foreigners.

Normal ticket buyers on these tourist days cannot quite complete a full lap of the 20.8 km (13 miles) Nordschleife, which is bypassing the modern GP-Strecke, as they are required to slow down and pass through a 200 metre "pit lane" section where the toll gates are installed. Since 2006, season ticket holders only can pass mobile toll gates on the track itself, in order to reduce the length of queues at the fixed barriers.

Drivers interested in lap times (a dangerous thing to worry about, as running stop watches are frequently found in crashed vehicles) often time themselves from the first bridge after the barriers to the last gantry before the exit. In the event of an accident, the local police are known to make note of any timing devices present (stopwatches, etc.) in the police report. Consequently, the driver's insurance coverage may be voided leaving the driver fully liable for any and all damage. Normal, non-racing, non-timed driving accidents should be covered by driver's insurance, but it is increasingly common for UK insurers especially to put in exclusion clauses that mean drivers and riders have third-party cover only. Accidents are common, though, and those considering driving around the Nordschleife should read the rules that apply, as well as the "do's" and "don'ts". The 'ring has caught many people out. There is very little run-off and the armco barrier will be hit at almost any speed, should a vehicle leave the tarmac.

Drivers who do crash have a responsibility of warning following vehicles that there has been an incident. They should not try to continue driving as spilled fluids are a hazard to others, especially bikes, and it might be regarded as an attempt to escape the hefty bill for an armco repair. The 'Ring, although being to all intents and purposes a race track when used for racing, still remains a public road when opened to the public, and it is policed as such. Anyone caught or reported as driving dangerously can be fined or banned by the authorities. The costs can also be prohibitive with vehicle recovery, track closure penalties and armco repairs putting some unfortunates up to €15,000 out-of-pocket.

New for 2008 sees the possible TÜV testing of vehicles for which on-track complaints have been received by the authorities. This is only likely to be an issue for heavily modified vehicles, but German TÜV testing is far more rigorous than the UK MOT test. Vehicles which fail these on-the-spot inspections risk being banned from the circuit.
Old 06-29-2008, 06:27 PM
Launching!

Not stock at OLOA: The R&T editors discuss the provenance of the GTRs used in testing. Nissan provided 3 GTRs for testing to the automotive press. A white, a silver, and a Black one. The black one was damaged somehow and was kept in reserve for parts. All three cars are US spec, but are definitely pre-production, and are classified as "engineering test cars", which is the only way they are legal for registration and operation on US roads. Once their lifecycle is done (90 days), they go to the crusher. This explains the caveats by C&D, and MT regarding the performance, and the extraordinary dyno result produced by the silver car.

That SAME silver car, with Michigan plates, is the one now competing in the One Lap. It is therefore NOT a production car, and if the dyno is any indication, is making a lot more power than the production car's certified 480.

Here are some various track times, a nock stock C5Z06 and 3 stock C6 Z06's:

Maybe a pattern here?

Road America- Car# 25 beats GTR
Mid America-# 25 & 16 beats GTR.
Mid America #2-# 25 & 16 beats GTR
Texas World-#25 beats GTR
Lone Star Drag-#20 & 25 beats GTR
No Problem-#25 & 16 beats GTR
No Problem #2-#25 beats GTR
Carolina-#25 beats GTR
VIR-# 23 beats GTR
VIR #2- #23, 20 & 25 beats GTR
VIR #3-#20 & 25 beats GTR
Beave Run-#25 beats GTR
Beave Run #2-#25 beats GTR
Beave Run #3-#25 & 16 beats GTR
Tire Rack-Car#25,16 & 20 beats GTR.

Care to explain?

Anyone see the new Car and Driver?

Z06
0-60 - 3.8
1/4 - 11.9@124
0-100 - 8.3
0-150 - 17.9
5-60 - 4.5

GTR
0-60 - 4.1
1/4 - 12.6-111
0-100 - 10.2
0-150 - 26.6
5-60 - 5.2

0-100= 2 seconds slower
0-150=8.7 seconds slower
5-60=.7 seconds slower

I guess this car is closer to the actual production car and not a ringer?
If memory serves me correct(you can correct me with proof) only #16(the 2008 car) was factory stock. #25, a 2001 Z06, has no relevance. Thats only 5 out of 15 races by my count.

I dont have the most recent Car and Driver, but the numbers you provided sound like a Japanese model, which was limited to 111. Every other indication I've seen of this car suggest its mid to high 11 second car. Because Nissan "rated" the car at 480hp prevents the car from performing otherwise?
Old 06-29-2008, 06:33 PM
Launching!

Ahem...

There's no proof that either the 7:38 time or 7:29 time occurred. All we have is one video showing the GT-R running the ring. There is no official timer shown in it. Those are facts. Stop wasting my time.

The GT-R beats the Z06 around some tracks for the same reason that the Z06 beats the GT-R around many more. Cars will always have tracks that they are better suited to than others.

BTW - the GT-R that ran the one lap of america was not stock. It was the same factory "test" car that ran the ring runs wearing r-comp tires and running modified boost maps.

Do you actually have any racing experience or are you just another internet bench racer wasting my time?
I knew you would respond..lol

Waste your time? yet you responded...lol

Believe what you want to believe....

The GTR will become available in the next week or so in the U.S. I guess only then will begin to know...
Old 06-29-2008, 08:05 PM
Restricted User

The GTR will become available in the next week or so in the U.S. I guess only then will begin to know...
Well there's one thing we can agree on. IMO a big disappointment awaits.

Wasn't this thread about the ZR1? The GT-R isn't even in the same league or class.
Old 06-29-2008, 09:48 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How much is the gtr and how much is the zr1?
Old 06-29-2008, 10:31 PM
TECH Junkie

I knew you would respond..lol

Waste your time? yet you responded...lol

Believe what you want to believe....

Weak response.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:09 PM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

The Nordschleife has remained a one-way, public toll-road for nearly 80 years except when it is closed off for testing purposes, training lessons or racing events. Since its opening in 1927, the track has been used by the public for the so-called "Touristenfahrten", i.e. to anyone with a road legal car or motorcycle, as well as tour buses, motor homes or cars with trailers. Normal ticket buyers on these tourist days cannot quite complete a full lap of the 20.8 km (13 miles) Nordschleife, which is bypassing the modern GP-Strecke, as they are required to slow down and pass through a 200 metre "pit lane" section where the toll gates are installed. Since 2006, season ticket holders only can pass mobile toll gates on the track itself, in order to reduce the length of queues at the fixed barriers.
Normal ticket buyers on these tourist days cannot quite complete a full lap of the 20.8 km (13 miles) Nordschleife, which is bypassing the modern GP-Strecke, as they are required to slow down and pass through a 200 metre "pit lane" section where the toll gates are installed.

Which means nothing when GM or Nissan RENTS the entire track, there are no other cars allowed when they rent the whole track.

In case you missed it:
John Heinricy effectively spells that out in this video on the CTS-V's lap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgfKYeFKK9Y Listen carefully to what he says from 2:26 - 2:57. Pay particular attention to the last 10 seconds of what he says about how much time it would take to do one lap if you were going around the track to come to the start/finish line.

The Z06 DID do a STANDING start---The timed lap was run with a rolling start, a departure from our previous practice of standing starts.
Old 06-29-2008, 11:12 PM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

If memory serves me correct(you can correct me with proof) only #16(the 2008 car) was factory stock. #25, a 2001 Z06, has no relevance. Thats only 5 out of 15 races by my count.

I dont have the most recent Car and Driver, but the numbers you provided sound like a Japanese model, which was limited to 111. Every other indication I've seen of this car suggest its mid to high 11 second car. Because Nissan "rated" the car at 480hp prevents the car from performing otherwise?
If memory serves me correct the GTr is not stock as well!! Proof, why don't you pony up the ficticious proof? I already posted what cars were stock in the last GTR that got deleted. I am not looking for the inof again. ***** in your court. BTW, car to tell us which car # is the C5 Z06???
Old 06-29-2008, 11:36 PM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

MMM..if it was the Japanese model limited to 111 mph how did they get a 0-150 time from the GTR if it was limited????

Also, one of the rags(DRWO) in the june or july issue got a 12.1 @ 115 in the quater with it? Was that a spec model as well??
Old 06-29-2008, 11:38 PM
TECH Addict

Honestly lets not let another thread get locked with all this GTR nonsense. Lets keep this thread on the ZR1 and the ZR1 alone, **** the GTR! Now what do you think Jan will pull off in the ZR1? Post the time you think on a normal day at the 'ring, with jan behind the wheel. Im not sure how much of a difference the headwind made to its time, and not sure how good of a driver Mero is. Im going to say that Jan puts down something like 7:22-7:24, thats my thought.
-Joel
Old 06-30-2008, 12:34 AM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by 2000Hawk
Honestly lets not let another thread get locked with all this GTR nonsense. Lets keep this thread on the ZR1 and the ZR1 alone, **** the GTR! Now what do you think Jan will pull off in the ZR1? Post the time you think on a normal day at the 'ring, with jan behind the wheel. Im not sure how much of a difference the headwind made to its time, and not sure how good of a driver Mero is. Im going to say that Jan puts down something like 7:22-7:24, thats my thought.
-Joel
I agree 1000%. Just sick of these friggin people.

Jim said on the test run that he could have gone faster on some parts. I don't know how much time Jan would have made but I expect it would have been a faster lap than with Jim.

Consider this, the GT2 shaved off 8 secs by switching to PS2 from the runcraps. Extrapolate this to the ZR1 and we have a 7;18 with Jim driving.
Old 06-30-2008, 01:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

I agree 1000%. Just sick of these friggin people.

Jim said on the test run that he could have gone faster on some parts. I don't know how much time Jan would have made but I expect it would have been a faster lap than with Jim.

Consider this, the GT2 shaved off 8 secs by switching to PS2 from the runcraps. Extrapolate this to the ZR1 and we have a 7;18 with Jim driving.
I know, all of these points the GTR fanboyz make we have clearly disproved in any of the 400 GTR threads that fanboyz posted on here, its annoying to have to cover all the same points again. As if it isn't enough when the driver of the GTR himself admits the tires were R compound racing tires.

2000Hawk Honestly lets not let another thread get locked with all this GTR nonsense. Lets keep this thread on the ZR1 and the ZR1 alone, **** the GTR! Now what do you think Jan will pull off in the ZR1? Post the time you think on a normal day at the 'ring, with jan behind the wheel. Im not sure how much of a difference the headwind made to its time, and not sure how good of a driver Mero is. Im going to say that Jan puts down something like 7:22-7:24, thats my thought.
-Joel
I would think a 7:24 with Jan is pretty tangible
Old 06-30-2008, 03:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

Good job on the ZR1 posting those increadible and impressive times!
Old 06-30-2008, 04:30 AM
TECH Senior Member

It's already pretty much unanimous throughout enthusiast communities that the 7:29 time is useless...Nissan skipped 6-8 secs of track to get that time. The 7:38 time is almost believable, if you accept the rumors that Nissan upped the boost from the factory settings and used R-comp tires.
...Comparing it to any Vette was a bad move.
Nice generalization there. But...NO it isn't and nor has it ever been. You think the time is useless which is fine, but please don't tell us that every "enthusiast community" see's things through jaded eyes.

Come on dude? You speak like i'm the one disregarding physics in this argument.

Bottom line is that we have record of nearly 200 different production cars running the ring. These times give an educated and experienced driver a damn good idea of what a given weight combined with a given hp can do. What people like you don't seem to grasp is that no amount of technology can overcome the basic laws of physics. Tires are getting grippier, sure...but they are still limited by the fact that they are simply pieces of rubber that derive grip from the downward forces applied to them. AWD is still limited by the fact that it only has four places to apply power. Traction control, yaw control, and stabilization algorithms are still limited by the fact that the vehicle they control is a finite and unchanging machine. The day that a car can transform into whatever it's computer system decides is optimum at the time, these things will change. But that day is not today.

The absolute unchanging end all of this argument is that a 38XXlb car with 480-550hp DOES NOT run a 7:29 on the Nurburgring. It just doesn't. No amount of arguing or reasoning is going to change that. You might as well just come to terms with it and move on...most already have.
You seem to be very narrow minded, and if engineers thought like you did we wouldn't be where we are today, and certainly vehicles would not be where they are today either.
I'm all for the argument that the GTR's times aren't from a stock car if you want to debate that, but your continued dependence on the Laws of physics in your argument is getting tiring, especially when you show nothing to support your claims other than pathetic bravado. Show me WHY the "laws" of phyics dictate that a "38XXlb car with 480-550hp DOES NOT run a 7:29 on the Nurburgring".

And technology is what is responsible for our understanding of physics and more importantly what defines what the "laws" of physics are and how to push them. Not the other way around. "Laws" are in fact approximations, rules that work when describing motion on the macroscopic scale but which break at the quantum scale. And if you think auto engineers aren't working on the quantum scale to continually outdo and outperform each other then you'd be sorely mistaken.

I find it ironic that WSsick mentioned it already but how can a 8,800 lbs van with 136 hp run the ring in 10 seconds while in traffic? If there wasn't a video to prove it you'd probably call BS on that too claiming "Laws of physics".
I'm all for debating which car is better, faster, cheaper, best bang for the buck, best looking, nicest interior but lets not go to far in claiming the impossible.
Old 06-30-2008, 09:06 AM
Launching!

Normal ticket buyers on these tourist days cannot quite complete a full lap of the 20.8 km (13 miles) Nordschleife, which is bypassing the modern GP-Strecke, as they are required to slow down and pass through a 200 metre "pit lane" section where the toll gates are installed.

Which means nothing when GM or Nissan RENTS the entire track, there are no other cars allowed when they rent the whole track.

In case you missed it:
John Heinricy effectively spells that out in this video on the CTS-V's lap: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rgfKYeFKK9Y Listen carefully to what he says from 2:26 - 2:57. Pay particular attention to the last 10 seconds of what he says about how much time it would take to do one lap if you were going around the track to come to the start/finish line.

The Z06 DID do a STANDING start---The timed lap was run with a rolling start, a departure from our previous practice of standing starts.
Im not going to get into this any further, Im a zr1 fan over a GTR anyday. I just dont see the point in degrading the GTR, I dont believe that Nissan would go out of their way to cheat to get a better time on the Nurburgring.

I provided proof that the unofficial(there are no official rules/governing body) start and stop point are different, which aligns with the two videos of the GTR running on the track. There are no videos of GM running the ZR1 on the track as of yet. Every one of the contentions about the GTR(rolling start, etc.) has been proven to be normal running procedure. If GM actually ran the full track in 7:26 then thats awesome, but you have no proof.

Quick Reply: GM Strikes Back - Corvette ZR1 Laps the 'Ring in 7:26.4