Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

GM Strikes Back - Corvette ZR1 Laps the 'Ring in 7:26.4

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008, 08:39 PM
Launching!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
LS1Tech 10 Year

Originally Posted by DiscerningZ32
The ZR1's time is very respectable and the car is probably capable of running even quicker.
There's no more point in discussing the GTR's laptime. I seriously doubt Nissan would bother making false claims. The GTR has beaten the 911 turbo and Z06 on every track it has ran on. That was Nissan's goal, the actual time is irrelevant.
Now that the ZR1 has beaten the GTR, Nissan will more than likely try to strike back with a spec II NUR. I don't think they can beat the ZR1, but it should be interesting...

To every crybaby: Quit being so childish. I'm sure there are far more important things you could be bickering about...
Really? Explain this:

Maybe a pattern here?

Road America- Car# 25 beats GTR
Mid America-# 25 & 16 beats GTR.
Mid America #2-# 25 & 16 beats GTR
Texas World-#25 beats GTR
Lone Star Drag-#20 & 25 beats GTR
No Problem-#25 & 16 beats GTR
No Problem #2-#25 beats GTR
Carolina-#25 beats GTR
VIR-# 23 beats GTR
VIR #2- #23, 20 & 25 beats GTR
VIR #3-#20 & 25 beats GTR
Beave Run-#25 beats GTR
Beave Run #2-#25 beats GTR
Beave Run #3-#25 & 16 beats GTR
Tire Rack-Car#25,16 & 20 beats GTR.
Old 07-08-2008, 10:55 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suaveat69
Really? Explain this:

Maybe a pattern here?

Road America- Car# 25 beats GTR
Mid America-# 25 & 16 beats GTR.
Mid America #2-# 25 & 16 beats GTR
Texas World-#25 beats GTR
Lone Star Drag-#20 & 25 beats GTR
No Problem-#25 & 16 beats GTR
No Problem #2-#25 beats GTR
Carolina-#25 beats GTR
VIR-# 23 beats GTR
VIR #2- #23, 20 & 25 beats GTR
VIR #3-#20 & 25 beats GTR
Beave Run-#25 beats GTR
Beave Run #2-#25 beats GTR
Beave Run #3-#25 & 16 beats GTR
Tire Rack-Car#25,16 & 20 beats GTR.
The Vettes that you are referring to are indeed not stock. The number 25 car is a 427 C5 Z06 with wings, diiffuser's, suspension, brakes and aero upgrades. I believe the #16 is a modified C6 Z06(I will verify this later on). The only stock Z06 that was there, did finish behind the GTR in total points. The #20 Z06 was stock with a modified suspension.

Here are some pics from the event:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1000829
Old 07-09-2008, 02:19 PM
Restricted User

Originally Posted by c6ls3
The Vettes that you are referring to are indeed not stock. The number 25 car is a 427 C5 Z06 with wings, diiffuser's, suspension, brakes and aero upgrades. I believe the #16 is a modified C6 Z06(I will verify this later on). The only stock Z06 that was there, did finish behind the GTR in total points. The #20 Z06 was stock with a modified suspension.

Here are some pics from the event:

http://www.nsxprime.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1000829
The GT-R that ran one lap of America was NOT stock, so it kinda throws a wrench in any comparisons.
Old 07-09-2008, 02:32 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Blakbird24
The GT-R that ran one lap of America was NOT stock, so it kinda throws a wrench in any comparisons.
I was there and I'm telling you that it was! Tell me what wasn't stock about it? Where is your proof that it was indeed not stock?
Old 07-09-2008, 03:45 PM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

I was there and I'm telling you that it was! Tell me what wasn't stock about it? Where is your proof that it was indeed not stock?
The R&T editors discuss the provenance of the GTRs used in testing. Nissan provided 3 GTRs for testing to the automotive press. A white, a silver, and a Black one. The black one was damaged somehow and was kept in reserve for parts. All three cars are US spec, but are definitely pre-production, and are classified as "engineering test cars", which is the only way they are legal for registration and operation on US roads. Once their lifecycle is done (90 days), they go to the crusher. This explains the caveats by C&D, and MT regarding the performance, and the extraordinary dyno result produced by the silver car.

That SAME silver car, with Michigan plates, is the one now competing in the One Lap. It is therefore NOT a production car, and if the dyno is any indication, is making a lot more power than the production car's certified 480
Old 07-09-2008, 03:49 PM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

So did you vreify the dyno test? What tires? What shocks? Since you were there you must have went thourgh tech inspection. I guess they through it on the dyno for you to see as well?

Tell us the driver profiles of all drivers, Tony in teh GTR and the vette drivers.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Banned

The R&T editors discuss the provenance of the GTRs used in testing. Nissan provided 3 GTRs for testing to the automotive press. A white, a silver, and a Black one. The black one was damaged somehow and was kept in reserve for parts. All three cars are US spec, but are definitely pre-production, and are classified as "engineering test cars", which is the only way they are legal for registration and operation on US roads. Once their lifecycle is done (90 days), they go to the crusher. This explains the caveats by C&D, and MT regarding the performance, and the extraordinary dyno result produced by the silver car.

That SAME silver car, with Michigan plates, is the one now competing in the One Lap. It is therefore NOT a production car, and if the dyno is any indication, is making a lot more power than the production car's certified 480
The majority of the dyno charts regarding the GTR are in excess of the advertised hp of 480. Granted, it was not a production car, but to say it was not stock is heresay!

Are you to say the ZR1's Nurburgring time, are indeed not true. Because this was a pre-production spec model. Furthermore, there is no real indication besides GM's post that this actually occurred.
Old 07-09-2008, 04:45 PM
Banned

So did you vreify the dyno test? What tires? What shocks? Since you were there you must have went thourgh tech inspection. I guess they through it on the dyno for you to see as well?

Tell us the driver profiles of all drivers, Tony in teh GTR and the vette drivers.
No I did not have a chance to verify the dyno. Again, what would this prove?

"Each vehicle is required to be equipped with tires from a single brand.

Offering these multiple tire brands should reduce the difficulties of finding appropriately sized tires to fit unique vehicles, as well as minimize problems due to availability from the tire manufacturers.

Because many vehicles entered in the One Lap of America are fitted with different tire sizes on their front and rear axles and due to the fact that tag-a-long trailers are permitted to carry tools and spares, each team will be restricted to using a maximum of six tires during the event (unless additional tire changes are deemed necessary for safety reasons and authorized by the event organizers).

Regardless of which tires were fitted to the vehicles as Original Equipment, only street legal tires with a minimum UTQG Treadwear Rating of 140 will be allowed.

No racing slicks or DOT-legal Track & Competition tires will be permitted.

Tire shaving is not permitted and all tires, including spare tires, must begin the event with a minimum of 8/32-inch tread depth (to be confirmed during pre-event vehicle inspection) and complete the event with a minimum of 2/32-inch of remaining tread depth (to be confirmed during post-event vehicle inspection) at no less than 2 points around the tire's circumference that are approximately 180-degrees apart.

In order to assure that all tires are standard street legal tires as sold by their manufacturers to the general public, all participants are required to purchase the tires they use during the event directly from The Tire Rack.

The 2008 One Lap of America tires will have unique identification permanently branded to their sidewall to clearly identify their origin. Vehicles will not be allowed to participate in the event unless their tires have the required identification branding. Because of this unique branding, tires must be purchased and installed on the vehicle before competitors arrive in South Bend for registration and tires purchased through this program are not returnable, even if they have never been mounted."
Old 07-09-2008, 04:57 PM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

The majority of the dyno charts regarding the GTR are in excess of the advertised hp of 480. Granted, it was not a production car, but to say it was not stock is heresay!

Are you to say the ZR1's Nurburgring time, are indeed not true. Because this was a pre-production spec model. Furthermore, there is no real indication besides GM's post that this actually occurred.
GM said that the ZR1 will be the same thing spec wise that will be sold. SAME CAR SPEC WISE as the PRODUCTION MODEL. Where did Nissan ever claim that for the GTR? Please show me?

Did Nissan ever say that the cars in OLOA were in fact rated higher in HP that production models? No they did not. So in effect you are saying that because the car is above HP & TQ specs that the rest of the car is stock and to claim otherwise is heressay? Delusional!

THE GTR in OLOA is not PRODUCTION SPEC and neither was the ring-er runners!
Old 07-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

Again since you were there tell us why it is in fact stock? Did you verify dyno? What tires? tell us the accomplisments of the GTR driver and the Vette drivers? Give us some inof on tehre bios and how many times they competeed in OLOA.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:15 PM
Banned

Again since you were there tell us why it is in fact stock? Did you verify dyno? What tires? tell us the accomplisments of the GTR driver and the Vette drivers? Give us some inof on tehre bios and how many times they competeed in OLOA.
I just showed you the recommendations for tires through one lap america. All participants are required to use tires from the Tire Rack to avoid confusion.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:20 PM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

No I did not have a chance to verify the dyno. Again, what would this prove?

"Each vehicle is required to be equipped with tires from a single brand.

Offering these multiple tire brands should reduce the difficulties of finding appropriately sized tires to fit unique vehicles, as well as minimize problems due to availability from the tire manufacturers.

Because many vehicles entered in the One Lap of America are fitted with different tire sizes on their front and rear axles and due to the fact that tag-a-long trailers are permitted to carry tools and spares, each team will be restricted to using a maximum of six tires during the event (unless additional tire changes are deemed necessary for safety reasons and authorized by the event organizers).

Regardless of which tires were fitted to the vehicles as Original Equipment, only street legal tires with a minimum UTQG Treadwear Rating of 140 will be allowed.

No racing slicks or DOT-legal Track & Competition tires will be permitted.

Tire shaving is not permitted and all tires, including spare tires, must begin the event with a minimum of 8/32-inch tread depth (to be confirmed during pre-event vehicle inspection) and complete the event with a minimum of 2/32-inch of remaining tread depth (to be confirmed during post-event vehicle inspection) at no less than 2 points around the tire's circumference that are approximately 180-degrees apart.

In order to assure that all tires are standard street legal tires as sold by their manufacturers to the general public, all participants are required to purchase the tires they use during the event directly from The Tire Rack.

The 2008 One Lap of America tires will have unique identification permanently branded to their sidewall to clearly identify their origin. Vehicles will not be allowed to participate in the event unless their tires have the required identification branding. Because of this unique branding, tires must be purchased and installed on the vehicle before competitors arrive in South Bend for registration and tires purchased through this program are not returnable, even if they have never been mounted."
You said-
Glad you pasted the tire inof form OLOA site. Since you were ther what proof do you offer beside your opinion that it was stock? We would definately like to know?

The R&T editor also said that this car is causing a major ruckus in the auto press and that some mags are rethinking their testing procedures with respect to manufacturer-supplied vehicles. Automobile reportedly declined to test the Nissan at this time because the cars supplied were not production cars. Expect that trend to be followed by others henceforward, he said

This is what Horst von Saurma from SportAuto had to say............

"With all the electronic aids the handling is absolutely perfect, the driver doens´t feel how the drive-by-wire system really works as the GT-R stay on track like on rails, always has grip, doesn´t lose control, higly computerized and a perfect racer for the street. A time less than 7:40 is pretty much optimistic, 7:50 shows the true potential of the car.

ROBVUK-Corvette Forum

OK. I just received word on a single flying lap at VIR by the GTR. 2:09, less than an hour ago. Although this is good. It is about par for a C5Z. Last year I had my students running better than that in bone stock C6Z's on their runflats.

Considering that the GTR is being driven by a very competent driver, I'd say that the GTR is pretty much what those of us who race, expected. Certainly better than a bone stock C5. Equal or maybe even better than a stock C5Z, but barely a match for a C6Z. And for SURE, no match for a ZR1!

If it truly is capable of a 7:29 ring time, assuming it's being measured the same way as a Z06, it should EASILY do VIR in less than 2:00 flat since C6Z's regularly do 2:05 or better.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:24 PM
Banned

GM said that the ZR1 will be the same thing spec wise that will be sold. SAME CAR SPEC WISE as the PRODUCTION MODEL. Where did Nissan ever claim that for the GTR? Please show me?

Did Nissan ever say that the cars in OLOA were in fact rated higher in HP that production models? No they did not. So in effect you are saying that because the car is above HP & TQ specs that the rest of the car is stock and to claim otherwise is heressay? Delusional!

THE GTR in OLOA is not PRODUCTION SPEC and neither was the ring-er runners!
You are being biased here. GM still has not provided us with videos of the C6 Z06, so why should I take anything regarding the ZR1 with a grain of salt? Prove to me that the ZR1 was stock. Where are the dyno charts? Where are the videos? Get my drift?

There's no point in arguing. We are beating a dead horse here. There's nothing I could say to make you change your mind. Did you happen to see the production GTR run the 1/4?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-9v8Zl1FMo

and I suggest you read this:

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=23156

Those are production spec US GTR's.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:33 PM
Banned

You said-

Glad you pasted the tire inof form OLOA site. Since you were ther what proof do you offer beside your opinion that it was stock? We would definately like to know?

The R&T editor also said that this car is causing a major ruckus in the auto press and that some mags are rethinking their testing procedures with respect to manufacturer-supplied vehicles. Automobile reportedly declined to test the Nissan at this time because the cars supplied were not production cars. Expect that trend to be followed by others henceforward, he said

This is what Horst von Saurma from SportAuto had to say............

"With all the electronic aids the handling is absolutely perfect, the driver doens´t feel how the drive-by-wire system really works as the GT-R stay on track like on rails, always has grip, doesn´t lose control, higly computerized and a perfect racer for the street. A time less than 7:40 is pretty much optimistic, 7:50 shows the true potential of the car.

ROBVUK-Corvette Forum

OK. I just received word on a single flying lap at VIR by the GTR. 2:09, less than an hour ago. Although this is good. It is about par for a C5Z. Last year I had my students running better than that in bone stock C6Z's on their runflats.

Considering that the GTR is being driven by a very competent driver, I'd say that the GTR is pretty much what those of us who race, expected. Certainly better than a bone stock C5. Equal or maybe even better than a stock C5Z, but barely a match for a C6Z. And for SURE, no match for a ZR1!

If it truly is capable of a 7:29 ring time, assuming it's being measured the same way as a Z06, it should EASILY do VIR in less than 2:00 flat since C6Z's regularly do 2:05 or better.
Why are you reporting parts of the article? Secondly, the driver of SportsAuto did not have months and months behind the wheel of the GTR as did Nissans driver who ran the 7:29. Third, the 7:40 that SportsAuto ran was a Fahrberichte not an all out run. Please stop throwing out magazine articles from different sources. Its not providing any substance.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:50 PM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

You are being biased here. GM still has not provided us with videos of the C6 Z06, so why should I take anything regarding the ZR1 with a grain of salt? Prove to me that the ZR1 was stock. Where are the dyno charts? Where are the videos? Get my drift?

There's no point in arguing. We are beating a dead horse here. There's nothing I could say to make you change your mind. Did you happen to see the production GTR run the 1/4?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s-9v8Zl1FMo

and I suggest you read this:

http://www.nagtroc.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=23156

Those are production spec US GTR's.
First off Nisan NEVER claimed ANYTHING for the GTR except times. GM has said on VIDEO and in PRINT what the car's specs are. The video will be out soon. There are NUMEROUS GTR dynos, track times and videos of the car. The ZR1 has not been relesed yet for testing so how in the HELL do you want proof? In fact the GTR has been al over the place.

ZR1 ring video-This I believe is not the record run. Just a sample. It will be released shortly:

http://www.nrj.1g.fi/kuvat/Autot/200...r1_at_ring.wmv

Anyone see the new Car and Driver?

Z06
0-60 - 3.8
1/4 - 11.9@124
0-100 - 8.3
0-150 - 17.9
5-60 - 4.5

GTR
0-60 - 4.1
1/4 - 12.6-111
0-100 - 10.2
0-150 - 26.6
5-60 - 5.2

0-100= 2 seconds slower
0-150=8.7 seconds slower
5-60=.7 seconds slower

I guess this car is closer to the actual production car and not a ringer?

Also, one of the rags(DRWO) in the june or july issue got a 12.1 @ 115 in the quater with it?

Not being biased just want the FACTS to be clear. The previous cars are not even close top US SPec productions models, hence all the claims. Explain why the new cars that are being tested are way off base performance wise? BTW, I will save you the time on the OLOA cars. Car #25 is the C5Z and is not stock but is still kicking the *** of a non-stock GTR. car the other 3 cars, #23, 16 and 20 are stock C6Z with car #16, if my memory is rihgt, totally bone stock except for tires. The otehr two are stock in the driveline except for splitters and wings. So there goes your not stock BS.

Why don;t you compare Tony Swan, a pro, driving credentials to the other vette drivers and tell us what you find.

Last edited by Suaveat69; 07-09-2008 at 05:58 PM.
Old 07-09-2008, 05:54 PM
Launching!

LS1Tech 10 Year

Why are you reporting parts of the article? Secondly, the driver of SportsAuto did not have months and months behind the wheel of the GTR as did Nissans driver who ran the 7:29. Third, the 7:40 that SportsAuto ran was a Fahrberichte not an all out run. Please stop throwing out magazine articles from different sources. Its not providing any substance.
Well lets see Horst does the driving for them so I guess you should just dismiss what he has to say. The 7:29 was BULLSHIT. Was not time with the beam timers but a stopwatch. Maybe if Jan had in over 4,000 miles of testing like Suzuki did instead of just 4 laps it would have ran faster as well.

Again if it can run those time why can't it do VIR in less than 2 mins?

I reported the part that was condusive to this discussion. Why don;t you paste the rest of the article then since it obviously will disprove waht I wrote. Go ahead.

Again, what proof do you have the the GTR is STOCK? You said you were there so please show us some proof of waht your findings were from OLOA. Second both C&D and R&T said that the SILVER CAR IS NOT STOCK. There words, not mine.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:03 PM
12 Second Club

Suaveat69;

Don't bother.

c6ls3 is Pissy Chrissy, using a GM sounding username to throw us off.
He must have finally found a way to circumvent his perma-ban.
Old 07-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Banned

First off Nisan NEVER claimed ANYTHING for the GTR except times. GM has said on VIDEO and in PRINT what the car's specs are. The video will be out soon. There are NUMEROUS GTR dynos, track times and videos of the car. The ZR1 has not been relesed yet for testing so how in the HELL do you want proof? In fact the GTR has been al over the place.

ZR1 ring video-This I believe is not the record run. Just a sample. It will be released shortly:

http://www.nrj.1g.fi/kuvat/Autot/200...r1_at_ring.wmv

Anyone see the new Car and Driver?

Z06
0-60 - 3.8
1/4 - 11.9@124
0-100 - 8.3
0-150 - 17.9
5-60 - 4.5

GTR
0-60 - 4.1
1/4 - 12.6-111
0-100 - 10.2
0-150 - 26.6
5-60 - 5.2

0-100= 2 seconds slower
0-150=8.7 seconds slower
5-60=.7 seconds slower

I guess this car is closer to the actual production car and not a ringer?

Also, one of the rags(DRWO) in the june or july issue got a 12.1 @ 115 in the quater with it?

Not being biased just want the FACTS to be clear. The previous cars are not even close top US SPec productions models, hence all the claims. Explain why the new cars that are being tested are way off base performance wise? the other 3 cars, #23, 16 and 20 are stock C6Z with car #16, if my memory is rihgt, totally bone stock except for tires. The otehr two are stock in the driveline except for splitters and wings. So there goes your not stock BS.

Why don;t you compare Tony Swan, a pro, driving credentials to the other vette drivers and tell us what you find.

BTW, I will save you the time on the OLOA cars. Car #25 is the C5Z and is not stock but is still kicking the *** of a non-stock GTR. car

Dude, stop quoting magazine articles. I gave you real word GTR times with videos. The dude that ran 122 traps had the car for a few days.

The low times reported by the GTR and Porsche where due to 91 octane ratings. The 911 was more than 8-9mph off as well as the GTR. These cars are designed to run on 93 octane. If the ecu's detect knock, it retards timing and this in fact causes power loss.

Dude I was there at OLOA. Those Vettes where not stock OMG. Get it through your head, the GTR placed higher than the only stock Z06.

http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/...n_gt_r_feature

""At the end of the three-lap run—the standard One Lap road-course time trial—the GT-R had the fourth fastest time of the day, trailing only the ACR Viper, the championship-winning Porsche Turbo, and the turbo Z06 Corvette. ""

Read the last paragraph!
Old 07-09-2008, 06:07 PM
TECH Addict

Damn thats alot of info to go through, i think you guys should get your last words in because i see this thread getting locked as well.
-Joel
Old 07-09-2008, 06:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by dailydriver
Suaveat69;

Don't bother.

c6ls3 is Pissy Chrissy, using a GM sounding username to throw us off.
He must have finally found a way to circumvent his perma-ban.
Im not him, check the IP address.

Quick Reply: GM Strikes Back - Corvette ZR1 Laps the 'Ring in 7:26.4