Automotive News, Media & Press Television | Magazines | Industry News

2009 MB SL65 Black Series

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2008, 01:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2009 MB SL65 Black Series

I posted a thread awhile back about the SL65 Black Series before much was known about it. Here is a Motor Trend Article that talks about the final production model. It looks pretty amazing (except for the HUGE price tag that is sure to come along with it).

It all started with the introduction of the Mercedes-Benz CLK63 AMG Black Series late last year; a luxury sports coupe that pushed the envelope of the standard version and gave even more power, performance, and exclusivity to even fewer people. The first car in the Black Series lineup was an overnight success, with hard-core enthusiasts the world over craving one for their own garage. In fact, the majority of the 350 cars bound for the U.S. were already spoken for even before they landed on American soil.

Then, earlier this year came rumors and spy photos of a new Black Series --- this version based on the venerable Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG. Motor Trend's very own Todd Lassa was among the first to confirm the car's existence after it was shown to him and a handful of other journalists at the 2008 New York auto show this past March, and now we have the full details on the latest bad-boy Benz. And what details they are.

Starting with the standard SL65 AMG (if you can call anything about that car "standard"), Mercedes' in-house AMG Performance Studio tweaks the 6.0L V-12 bi-turbo engine for a full 670 hp -- 58 horses more than the SL65 -- while the torque figure remains identical at an electronically limited 738 lb-ft for drivability reasons (AMG claims that 885 lb-ft would be available in derestricted form). To achieve these gains, larger turbochargers were developed specifically for this application, while a new AMG sports exhaust and optimized airflow tubing round out the power boost. The result is a heart-pounding 3.9 sec sprint from standstill to 62 mph and an electronically limited top speed just a single mph shy of the magical 200-mph mark.

Such an increase in performance isn't limited to the power increase alone. Weight savings paired with the horsepower boost provide less mass for the newfound muscle to push around. In fact, Mercedes claims a reduction of a massive 551 lb from the SL, though the total curb weight still comes in over the two-ton mark at 4123 lb. To achieve such weight loss, Mercedes constructed many of the SL65 AMG Black Series' body panels out of lightweight carbon-fiber composite (CFRP), while also giving the car a fixed roof made from the same material, with an integrated roll bar. The advantages of the new lightweight roof are two-fold: increased structural rigidity and a lower center of gravity.

As expected on a car of this type, various aerodynamic aids have been implemented to not only give the appearance of added performance, but to actually perform the task. A concealed CFRP rear spoiler will raise at speeds exceeding 75 mph, while a wider front apron incorporates new carbon splitters to direct airflow in an optimal manner. Out back, a carbon rear diffuser fits neatly between the outlets of the new sports exhaust system.

Brakes and suspension have also been tweaked for Black Series duty, with larger discs at all four corners, supplemented by six-pot calipers up front and four-pot items in the rear, covered by 19- and 20-in. black AMG wheels at each respective end. Rubber comes from Dunlop (AMG's DTM partner) in the form of a set of Sport Maxx GT tires. A new adjustable coil-spring suspension is fully adjustable for track duty, and the track has even been widened by 3.8 in. in the front and 3.3 in. in the rear. Meanwhile, weight has been reduced in the new aluminum wheel carriers and the spring links, camber struts, and pull/push rods at both axles are all of new design.

The standard AMG Speedshift Plus five-speed automatic transmission is retained from the standard SL65 AMG, likely deemed suitable as a result of the nonexistent torque increase. The transmission features four modes with varying degrees of comfort and performance and an automatic rev-matching feature on downshifts. Three-mode ESP is fitted in conjunction with a limited-slip differential with 40-percent locking capability to keep power delivery optimized and the car pointed in the right direction.

The Black Series SL appropriately receives all-black interior trim, with a few unique enhancements. New Nappa leather and Alcantara-wrapped sport seats feature AMG-embossed headrests, and a smaller diameter, flat-bottom steering wheel is trimmed in perforated leather. Silver-colored aluminum shift paddles, carbon-fiber center console trim, a carbon-fiber inlaid gearlever, carbon door panels, white gauge faces with LED shift lights, and Alcantara lining on the roof, A-, and C-pillars round out the special touches.

Pricing has not yet been announced for the new Mercedes-Benz SL65 AMG Black Series, though the first examples of the limited-edition coupe will hit European showrooms in November.
Old 07-11-2008, 02:11 PM
TECH Senior Member

That thing has to be absolutely insane to drive! My only guess as to why the 0-60 isn't a couple tenths faster is traction problems. It's ugly as **** though IMO!
Old 07-11-2008, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Spoolin
That thing has to be absolutely insane to drive! My only guess as to why the 0-60 isn't a couple tenths faster is traction problems. It's ugly as **** though IMO!
I actually kinda like the looks...reminds me of the old SL500-600 models...
Old 07-11-2008, 04:25 PM
Customizing Director

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice looking car
Old 07-11-2008, 05:25 PM
TECH Addict

I think it looks pretty damn nice, and i would like the unrestricted model with 885lb ft of torque.
-Joel
Old 07-11-2008, 10:34 PM
10 Second Club

My only guess as to why the 0-60 isn't a couple tenths faster is traction problems.
Or it could be it's weight, it IS a little on the obese side.
Traction usually isn't a real problem in those cars, they have some very advanced launch/traction control systems. Though I'd bet that with no passengers with a near empty tank of fuel (less weight on the rear wheels) on a cold winter's day with the traction control switched off it will spin it's tires quite effortlessly.
Old 07-12-2008, 01:10 AM
TECH Senior Member

Jeremy Clarkson from top gear test drove a black series (Not sure what model, could of been this one actually) this season, episode 1 or 2 maybe and he absolutely LOVED it. He and stig both agreed that it was one of their favorite cars of all time. That's some great praise coming from those two! I'd love to drive one that's for sure!
Old 07-14-2008, 12:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Jeremy Clarkson from top gear test drove a black series (Not sure what model, could of been this one actually) this season, episode 1 or 2 maybe and he absolutely LOVED it. He and stig both agreed that it was one of their favorite cars of all time. That's some great praise coming from those two! I'd love to drive one that's for sure!
Well, it just goes to show that the fastest cars in the world usually aren't all that much fun to drive for extended periods, or on roads for that matter.
Old 07-14-2008, 06:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Of course Clarkson did, it's a Euro car. If that were an American car they'd say it was a piece of **** and dog it all day. I agree it's a pretty nice car though.
Old 07-14-2008, 09:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Malicious
Of course Clarkson did, it's a Euro car. If that were an American car they'd say it was a piece of **** and dog it all day. I agree it's a pretty nice car though.
Yeah he is biased against American cars and favor's English brands over most all other brands but he did own a Ford GT, which funny enough broke on him all the time so he sold it.

Quick Reply: 2009 MB SL65 Black Series