Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

STS Twin CTS-V Kit...

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2010, 03:01 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I sent them an email. I personally would not spend the 8k MSRP is asking for the kit. But if I could get it for around 5k. i would do it in a heartbeat.

I had a maggy on my V, fricken loved it. Wanted more power but then I was given the opportunity to drive a work mustang(GT500!) around so I pulled the blower preparing to sell the car. Now that the company car was totaled (not by me!) I NEED MY SPEED BACK!!!
Old 08-04-2010, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
this thread is the reason why we have no V1 aftermarket. things come out, and people act like children all over the thread. the vendor then leaves to greener pastures.

I personally will like to do a sts-kit.
The funny thing is that I agree! I was just reading some of the shiat that I was posting from a year+ ago and thinking how much of an idiot I sounded like... oh well! I would also love to get the kit but I would have to change my DD to another car if I did as I've heard that you lose everyday drivability from the kit... then again I wish I could just drive one to let my self be the judge of that... this kit plus a 50shot for quick spool = I wet my self!
Old 08-04-2010, 09:01 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by DoctorNick
I sent them an email. I personally would not spend the 8k MSRP is asking for the kit. But if I could get it for around 5k. i would do it in a heartbeat.

I had a maggy on my V, fricken loved it. Wanted more power but then I was given the opportunity to drive a work mustang(GT500!) around so I pulled the blower preparing to sell the car. Now that the company car was totaled (not by me!) I NEED MY SPEED BACK!!!
So wait! You pulled the blower of your V and were going to sell it because you got to drive a company car that you wernt even the only one driving? I must be missing something big time... on another note how was the GT500 compaired to your blown V in power and fun factor? I would have loveeeeed to been able to bounce between a blown V and a blown mustang....

P.s. don't take the first part of my post as an attack please! I'm just surprised/enterested in your post... thanks
Old 08-04-2010, 09:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

for the price of an STS kit im sure there are 50 shops out there that will fab up a custom kit for the same price using 50x better components.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:38 PM
TECH Regular

yea this is true, my boy matt at tune time performance really does nice work, he did a custom twin turbo setup on a FF GTM with a forged ls3 OMG it made power , it was also really cleanly done. on another note the STS kit does come with tail components and is nice cause everything is plug and play.
Old 08-05-2010, 10:27 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
So wait! You pulled the blower of your V and were going to sell it because you got to drive a company car that you wernt even the only one driving? I must be missing something big time... on another note how was the GT500 compaired to your blown V in power and fun factor? I would have loveeeeed to been able to bounce between a blown V and a blown mustang....

P.s. don't take the first part of my post as an attack please! I'm just surprised/enterested in your post... thanks
It was supposed to be mine. Someone got a little too overzealous with the throttle a few weeks back.

I work in conjunction with http://www.autosportdynamics.com/
We make CF drift mustangs Other then that my hands are tied with confidentiality.

Originally Posted by itsslow98
for the price of an STS kit im sure there are 50 shops out there that will fab up a custom kit for the same price using 50x better components.
Thought about it, talked to my shop and he said he could do a TT 35R kit for about 5k but it wouldn't happen to Jan/fab at the earliest.

Originally Posted by lilgcts-v
yea this is true, my boy matt at tune time performance really does nice work, he did a custom twin turbo setup on a FF GTM with a forged ls3 OMG it made power , it was also really cleanly done. on another note the STS kit does come with tail components and is nice cause everything is plug and play.
I like the idea of PnP
Old 08-05-2010, 12:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Doctornick 5k for a custom kit, id go for it, i guarantee youll make more power and more useable power. Plus you can put the turbos where you want. If i did one itd be right off the stock manifolds.
Old 08-05-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

If he could make a kit and sell it for 5k he'd prolly do ok with it.
Old 08-05-2010, 06:00 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you thought about insulating the exhaust piping to the turbo? Only thing (besides the long IC tubing) I don't like about the STS' is by the time the exhaust reaches the compressors, it has to have been cooled a considerable amount and one thing that makes a good turbo setup is being able to use retained heat energy from the engine. Does going thru the cat(s) and resonator create any weird pressure waves?

Add the pressure drop in the piping and bends and just seems so inefficient. Better than nothing and I do like the simple install (relatively).

btw - somebody mentioned why no t-bolt clamps...the trick to any pressurized system is the beads on the tubing (piping), not so much the clamps. I mean, if you had smooth piping ends, doesn't matter what kind of clamps you use, it's not gonna hold. T-bolts look neat though, but are $$$. I chose to go with consta-torque clamps myself, which are superior, imo. They also make t-bolt consta-torque clamps which are probably even better, combining the best of both worlds! (basically a consta-torque uses a spring that compensates for deviation in size from heat and such, so it keeps the same torque applied, plus they have an inner sleeve to not damage your couplings <---that alone is the reason I don't like using regular worm clamps, although I've used them @ 25 psi no problem [beaded IC piping though])
Old 08-06-2010, 09:49 AM
Launching!

looks like your gonna definitely need that 9" rear Dr. I hope to have mine done by Gforce1320 in 45-60 days and will post up lots of vids. It will come with a 1 piece driveshaft which I am excited about too.

the kits will be sold as bolt in's and he is just using my car for the R&D so I guess you can call me the guinea pig, lol.

I would like a turbo kit too
Old 08-06-2010, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

I just wish we had a way to run some of the vette centri kits and make power like they do. thats what i really envy.
Old 08-06-2010, 10:28 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by VmanUSA
looks like your gonna definitely need that 9" rear Dr. I hope to have mine done by Gforce1320 in 45-60 days and will post up lots of vids. It will come with a 1 piece driveshaft which I am excited about too.

the kits will be sold as bolt in's and he is just using my car for the R&D so I guess you can call me the guinea pig, lol.

I would like a turbo kit too

Totally the wrong place for this convo but i brought this thread from the dead so F it.

With a 1 peice driveshaft, I will be curious about the harmonics considering the pinion angle of the rear dif. I am not drivetrain expert but I was always under the idea that single piece driveshafts ain't the best when it comes to 130+mph speeds.

I hope Gforce can have a 2nd one done pretty quick after they finish yours. I am dieing to get a 9inch under this car so I can mark my territory with rubber strips
Old 08-06-2010, 12:16 PM
TECH Addict

Id be interested to see what the 60foot,1/4 times and trap speed would be on a completely stock V with a bullet proof 9" rear! I'm guessing 12.7 to 13.00 with a trap of 110 to 112mph with a good driver.. anyone else have a more educated guess then my uneducated guess? Lol
Old 08-06-2010, 12:18 PM
TECH Addict

Oh, and that's with some meat on the back for traction too...
Old 08-06-2010, 01:27 PM
TECH Regular

Thats kinda my hopes that the 9inch gets finished before the season is over. I wanna get some baselines with my car bonestock (except for a LS7 clutch and intake, no tune).
Old 08-06-2010, 03:14 PM
Launching!

With a 1 peice driveshaft, I will be curious about the harmonics considering the pinion angle of the rear dif. I am not drivetrain expert but I was always under the idea that single piece driveshafts ain't the best when it comes to 130+mph speeds.

I think the pinion angle will be all new since he is creating new brackets but I could be wrong and I stressed my concerns about that to him as well and he said his GTO's have these and lengths of these shafts are at or over 48"'s so I think we will be fine and 130 is slow compared to his goats that trap 140+ .
Old 08-06-2010, 03:31 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by VmanUSA
I think the pinion angle will be all new since he is creating new brackets but I could be wrong and I stressed my concerns about that to him as well and he said his GTO's have these and lengths of these shafts are at or over 48"'s so I think we will be fine and 130 is slow compared to his goats that trap 140+ .
I'm glad to see my memory wasn't failing me and this was a proper concern. Can't wait too see the prototype.
Old 08-06-2010, 03:46 PM
Teching In

I seriously doubt it, there is a lot of research and development that goes into any turbo kit. It's not just about parts and making them fit on.

Seriously jealous of that kit, I wanted one and the boss said no.
Old 08-07-2010, 10:41 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by zinner
I seriously doubt it, there is a lot of research and development that goes into any turbo kit. It's not just about parts and making them fit on.

Seriously jealous of that kit, I wanted one and the boss said no.
for 8k you can have a procharger kit custom made. I KNOW youd be able to have a custom turbo setup made for less and thats 5-6k. A single turbo kit would be sufficient anyways no need to have to of everything IMO. especially when you can mount the turbo closer to the motor to eliminate lag.
Old 08-07-2010, 11:14 AM
TECH Apprentice

for 8k you can have a procharger kit custom made. I KNOW youd be able to have a custom turbo setup made for less and thats 5-6k. A single turbo kit would be sufficient anyways no need to have to of everything IMO. especially when you can mount the turbo closer to the motor to eliminate lag.
my thoughts as well, I know there are at least 2-3 shops in my area, that could make a custom kit and have the turbo in the front of the car, and be done for 5-6k

Quick Reply: STS Twin CTS-V Kit...