Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

lowering my v need spacers

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2009, 12:05 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lowering my v need spacers

Guys im lowering my v probably with H&R springs and from what I undestand i need spacers for it to sit properly. Where can i get them.
thanks
Old 07-04-2009, 12:41 PM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You can just flip all the rear upper shock bushings to the top side and screw the assembly back together. Slide a thin piece of rubber in between the shock perch and the body on the outside of the car to reduce vibration/noise.

I did this recently w/out the rubber isolator and had great results. I get a bit of shock "thunk" if I hit a deep bump, but no problems otherwise. The car is lowered 1" in the rear with this method and 5/8 of a coil cut off in the rear.
Old 07-04-2009, 04:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by TheBlurLS1
The car is lowered 1" in the rear with this method and 5/8 of a coil cut off in the rear.
5/8 got you 1"? Good info.

Did you cut the front springs at all?
Old 07-04-2009, 11:58 PM
Teching In

Is this a method for the stock springs or for the h&r?
Old 07-05-2009, 03:14 AM
That's what she said...

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CTSV_510
5/8 got you 1"? Good info.

Did you cut the front springs at all?
I did 5/8 of one coil and I removed the lower spring isolator in favor of some heater hose wrapped around the bottom coil. It came out around an inch I'd guess. It doesn't move up or down when driving or sitting for a while, and the shocks were raised 1" (by moving the spacers).

I cut about 1-3/4" worth of coil (if measured circumferentially) and it dropped about 1/4" to 3/8", which is all I wanted in the front.

I figured I would at least try this before I spent the money on springs. The car rides EXACTLY like stock, but sits much nicer. I don't have any problems with scraping or anything. My wheels stick out a bit more than stockers and I run a bit wider tires, so I had to roll the right rear fender lip to keep it off the tire. Oddly enough, the driver side rear was already rolled from the factory lol.
Old 07-05-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Nels, on the Cadillacforums.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I did 5/8 of one coil and I removed the lower spring isolator in favor of some heater hose wrapped around the bottom coil. It came out around an inch I'd guess. It doesn't move up or down when driving or sitting for a while, and the shocks were raised 1" (by moving the spacers).

I cut about 1-3/4" worth of coil (if measured circumferentially) and it dropped about 1/4" to 3/8", which is all I wanted in the front.

I figured I would at least try this before I spent the money on springs. The car rides EXACTLY like stock, but sits much nicer. I don't have any problems with scraping or anything. My wheels stick out a bit more than stockers and I run a bit wider tires, so I had to roll the right rear fender lip to keep it off the tire. Oddly enough, the driver side rear was already rolled from the factory lol.
That is exactly the drop that I'm looking for when I cut the springs so the info will be very helpful!

Originally Posted by BacDoc
Nels, on the Cadillacforums.
Or 2003RC51. His are less than half the price of Nels' spacers.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:51 AM
Teching In

Guys I want to use h&r opposed to cutting stock springs because NY streets will make my car bottom out quick. I've read that someone on this forum sells these spacers, does anyone know who it is?
Old 07-05-2009, 11:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vlavsky
Guys I want to use h&r opposed to cutting stock springs because NY streets will make my car bottom out quick. I've read that someone on this forum sells these spacers, does anyone know who it is?
I just posted right before you - contact 2003RC51 for the spacers.
Old 07-05-2009, 11:53 AM
Teching In

Sorry I posted before reading the entire reply
Thanks
Old 07-05-2009, 09:02 PM
Staging Lane

I just looked at my driverside wheel well and it is rolled also. I wonder why they done that?

Anyway, who has the best price on the HR springs?
Old 02-03-2010, 07:08 AM
Teching In

TheBlurLS1, do you have any side view pics of your ride?

Quick Reply: lowering my v need spacers