Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

New V owner with obligatory questions that could probably be answered by searching..

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2009, 08:40 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default New V owner with obligatory questions that could probably be answered by searching..

Hey guys, just picked up an 05 V with 29k on the clock yesterday and had a few basic questions. The car did not come with an owners manual, so I need to get one. Anyway-

1) I tried the nav last night on the way home and it would keep showing the map, processing, then showing the map repeatedly for the entire trip. Also, I went into the menu and turned on the TBT and it would not show up. It would flash the TBT list for a few secs, then go back to the map, then process, etc.. Am I doing something wrong?

2) If accelerating hard in a lower gear, when I let off, the car pulls slightly to the right. They offered to align it, but I got them to take some money off so I can handle it myself (friend has an alignment shop). I am going to align it today, but is there anything common that I should look for that could cause this like rear bushings or something? I plan on giving it a good look over anyway, but if there is something specific to look for, I'd like to know.

3) is there any way to turn off/down that loud *** damn door/key chime? That thing can be heard from 3 states away!

4) I noticed that it has the typical lazy clutch pedal that my Vette and F bodies have had. When shifting at high RPM's, the pedal stays down for a split second before popping back up. I was going to do the usual flush/bleed on the hydraulics, but have usually only seen this problem really go away with a heavier pressure plate. I wanted to ask though- does the V have a restrictor in the clutch line like the F bodies did? If so, has anyone had any luck with the "drill mod"?

5) those who have the muffler delete- does it drone on the highway? It sounds better than I thought it would in the vids, but want to make sure it doesn't drone while cruising. If it doesn't drone, I may do this today as well.

6) I read that the flywheel is "heavy" in this car. Is it any heavier than the F body/vette/GTO stuff, or about the same?
Old 08-11-2009, 09:16 AM
TECH Resident

1) It sounds like there is a trip saved in the nav system, so you need to clear it out. Mine was doing that and after a bunch of tinkering I figured that out.

2)Usually with rims/tires like these, they follow every little crack or unevenness of the road. Its probably normal, but an alignment cant hurt.

3)no idea

4)I don't have that problem

5)I read (I dont remember where) that the bumper acts like a big parachute w/o the mufflers...can someone elaborate on that too?

6)I think I read that the vette flywheel is 28lbs lighter

Doesnt answer everything, but might help a little.
Old 08-11-2009, 09:30 AM
Launching!

4) These cars are known to have slave problems, check your fluid first off as the reservior is ridiculously tiny.

5) The Vs will drone with most aftermarket exhausts, especially if you remove the resonator or mufflers. I have the full Magnaflow system w/ X-pipe and it drones pretty badly when in higher gears, under load, and between 1500 & 2000 RPM. The B&B exhaust was supposed to have been designed for no drone, but there have been many complaints that is still drones badly. I have a set of Vortex cones on the way which are supposed to significantly reduce drone without effecting flow.

6) The flywheel is heavier than snot, and it is dual mass. I believe it is the heaviest flywheel ever used in GM cars.

Congrats on the purchase, by far the best year.
Old 08-11-2009, 11:38 AM
On The Tree

3) yes, you have to go into the menu with the radio off and uncheck the "enhanced chime" option. I'm at work now but I will go through it at home in the car and post how to do it for you if someone hasn't already.
Old 08-11-2009, 04:32 PM
On The Tree

3) press the main button under the power button, go to feature prgm (3rd button down on the right side), press ok, scroll all the way down to the bottom of the list, uncheck enhanced chime, Done
Old 08-11-2009, 07:04 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 02QSJOHN
3) press the main button under the power button, go to feature prgm (3rd button down on the right side), press ok, scroll all the way down to the bottom of the list, uncheck enhanced chime, Done
Thanks for the info, I'll do that in a few mins. That thing literally hurts my ears! Everyone in the shop today commented on how ridiculously loud it was!

On another note- did the alignment today, it was out a bit but not too bad. I still have a touch of - camber (~.2 out of spec), but it wasn't enough for me to want to bother with it. The car still has the pull issue though. To better explain it- when accelerating hard in lower gears (or higher RPM in the higher ones), the car feels like it dog legs to the right in the rear causing the front to point left, so you just slightly counter steer and it is fine. When you let off, the car snaps back the other way and wants to shoot right. I am assuming that since it is worse with higher power loads, it is in the rear somewhere. All bushings and such looked to be tight and in tact in the rear though (the car actually looks brand spanking new underneath!). Any ideas?
Old 08-11-2009, 08:12 PM
On The Tree

no idea, my car drives staight as an arrow under accel or decel.
Old 08-12-2009, 07:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

The V flywheels is like 51 lbs or something ridiculous.

There was a group of VIN#s in '04-'05 that had clutch issues where it would sometimes stick at high rpms. Mine did it once but never again. There is a TSB on the issue and if you were under warranty you could have your clutch replaced.

I had a muffler delete at one time and it did drone on the highway. Others that have it says it doesn't. ?
Old 08-12-2009, 08:04 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by CTSV_510
The V flywheels is like 51 lbs or something ridiculous.

There was a group of VIN#s in '04-'05 that had clutch issues where it would sometimes stick at high rpms. Mine did it once but never again. There is a TSB on the issue and if you were under warranty you could have your clutch replaced.

I had a muffler delete at one time and it did drone on the highway. Others that have it says it doesn't. ?
Thanks for the info. I was actually going to do the muffler delete yesterday, but decided I'd wait. We are heading to TN tomorrow night with the 11 month old in the back and I didn't want to risk it droning badly with him in the car.. I also figured that if I decide to mod it, I'll be building a complete exhaust anyway, so I may as well leave the stock one in tact and wait until I decide what I want to do. My twin turbo GTO was 795/806 at the wheels on pump gas with alky and my wife already asked when I plan on doing a turbo setup for the V lol.
Old 08-12-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

unless you do headers there is no point in doing a catback. you gain basically 0 hp and all you get is sound. i bought nice chrome tips and had the muffler delete done for under 200 instead of over 1k for an aftermarket unless you like the magnaflow.
Old 08-13-2009, 07:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by itsslow98
unless you do headers there is no point in doing a catback. you gain basically 0 hp and all you get is sound. i bought nice chrome tips and had the muffler delete done for under 200 instead of over 1k for an aftermarket unless you like the magnaflow.
I'm aware of that. It would purely be for the sound. I am not sure if I am going to end up doing a custom turbo setup or not, so I am not doing headers until I decide for sure. That is also why I am unsure if I want to do a cat back or just do a muffler delete. If I do a turbo, I'll end up doing a custom exhaust as well, making a cat back an even bigger waste of money. I am just unsure of a muffler delete due to possible droning and because I usually like to keep the stock parts in tact when I mod a car, just in case I go back to stock later (never have yet though ). Decisions, decisions..
Old 08-13-2009, 08:23 AM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Not to hijack this thread, but I just bought an 05 V also. I've heard horror stories from the vette guys about valve springs breaking on the LS6 motors... do we have the same issues?
Old 08-13-2009, 09:19 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Beast_1
Not to hijack this thread, but I just bought an 05 V also. I've heard horror stories from the vette guys about valve springs breaking on the LS6 motors... do we have the same issues?
I am pretty active with the Vette crowd and I have heard of a few, but never actually heard of it on a stock V. I think GM had this issue taken care of by '04?
Old 08-13-2009, 10:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by madmaro00
I am pretty active with the Vette crowd and I have heard of a few, but never actually heard of it on a stock V. I think GM had this issue taken care of by '04?
My memory is sketchy, but I recall something along the same lines.

Quick Reply: New V owner with obligatory questions that could probably be answered by searching..