Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Differential Girdle

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 05:50 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Differential Girdle

What ever happened to that thread about the guy with the custom girdle for the rear diff? I was looking to see if there were any updates and now I can't find the thread. I was really interested in what something like that would cost.
Old 06-01-2010, 07:37 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The differentials on the 1st gen Vs tend to separate (break) the case's snout side between the pinion bearings and the ring gear. It's literally forced apart at that point, with no girdle design being able to help that situation.

You hard-earned cash would be better spent on axles to help tame the hop inherent in the irs.
Old 06-01-2010, 09:05 AM
On The Tree

Yeah I have no idea where that thread went. It looked like a good idea in theory. It basically covered the whole diff from the pinion back. I think i'm just going to go all out with some DSS axles and the latest generation diff when mine decides to go kaput. I bought the car in 2008, and I have no idea if the diff is the original one or not. There wasn't any differential replacement on the warranty claim info(but there was a transmission replacement 1500 miles before I bought it...right before the warranty ran out). Who knows it's holding up fine so far...
Old 06-01-2010, 09:44 AM
TECH Addict

A girdle would help, but to what degree is the question. No matter what, having extra material bolted to the snout that wraps around and bolts to the side and maybe even to the foward and rear mounts would help distribute the load. As the case start to be forced up it would be pulling on the side of the case as well instead of just the front. I can't help but think it would help. It's still a band-aid but hey, it's better than nothing. I think the axles and girdle together would make a pretty stout combo.
Old 06-02-2010, 08:40 AM
On The Tree

Yeah the one that was in that thread was basically a giant steel bracket that was attached to just about every bolt on the diff. It basically encased the entire thing in steel, with a cutout on the bottom for the drain plug, and a cut out in the back for weight savings. It looked like it had been cut out with a torch or plasma cutter, and was painted red. Not the greatest as far as finish goes, but it looked like it would definitely redistribute stress evenly throughout the whole setup.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The girdle type I was referring to was the rear cap-reinforcing type.

The one you're talking about must be the Corvette IRS cage-type.

I would think that taming the hop (with rear shocks and axles) will go a long way towards rear end reliability and should still be the first step.
Old 06-02-2010, 09:25 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by scatillac
The girdle type I was referring to was the rear cap-reinforcing type.

The one you're talking about must be the Corvette IRS cage-type.

I would think that taming the hop (with rear shocks and axles) will go a long way towards rear end reliability and should still be the first step.
I agree 100% on axles being the first step, and a set of DSS axles will be my next mod after new motor mounts. This guy's setup enclosed the differential almost completely, like a cage.

I tend to build my cars in reverse by doing all of the driveline mods before putting a bunch of power down. I don't want to put in a 500HP 383 and only be able to enjoy it for a week because my differential and tranny exploded after a hard 1-2 upshift. I'd rather focus on getting the power that my car makes now to the ground in the most effecient and reliable way possible. HP and torque don't mean squat if you can't get it to transfer into forward motion.
Old 06-02-2010, 10:53 AM
On The Tree

THIS IS THE WEB http://tcperformance.info/,I BEEN TRYING CALL HIM BUT NO ANSWER
Old 06-02-2010, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

I dont think anyone with hendrix or dss axles has broken a rear year...although there still hasnt been many drag radial passes put on those setups yet. I think the gen 3 rear with good axles and stiff bushings is the answer. $1800 for the gen 3 rear and either $300 or $1500 for axles and you are set.
Old 06-02-2010, 02:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Even if you still get hop, you can still break a diff on a 1st to 2nd shift. I did

others have too with aftermarket axles .

I would suggest if you realy want to drag race the car that bad you need to buy a gen 3 diff and some dds full axles.

If you want to just do some burnouts for your buddies then You can buy a eco axle and you wont get hop. But at the track or even with sticky tires you can blow a diff.

The gridle idea is good but Im not sure I'd depend on it 100%. its more like a band aid for alittle extra security, I wouldnt call it bullet proof.

Theres a guy that made the steel case but the cost is 2,900. Id have to lose my mind to spend that on a diff . But if you serious about drag racing then go for it
Old 06-02-2010, 03:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i want it this peice .. i think it will help the most based on all the carnage i have seen.

how much TC?
Old 06-02-2010, 05:05 PM
On The Tree

Yes that's the one. he had a second piece that covered the bottom as well. I agree with it being a band aid, but it's better than nothing, and probably a whole lot cheaper than a custom steel diff. I thought the steel diff was selling for $5k even.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:08 PM
On The Tree

http://tcperformance.info/Shop_Project_2.html Here's a better link that takes you to all of the pics. No idea on price though. I can't imagine it costing more than $500.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:33 PM
TECH Addict

I may try to find a diff at a local salvage out of a cts and just build my own. Doesn't look too difficult.
Old 06-02-2010, 06:32 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by raven154
I may try to find a diff at a local salvage out of a cts and just build my own. Doesn't look too difficult.
if you can find some cheap steel, build a few while your at it and make some $
Old 06-02-2010, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm going to build some, I just need a diff as a template. Anyone selling an empty case or one with some damaged gears? (or giving one away with the hopes of getting a girdle/cage in return?)

They can be expensive jigs
Old 06-02-2010, 07:49 PM
On The Tree

i'm sure between here and the other forum whoever makes a setup like this available to sell will surely make a nice return on their time/money investment.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:12 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SimplistikTA
http://tcperformance.info/Shop_Project_2.html Here's a better link that takes you to all of the pics. No idea on price though. I can't imagine it costing more than $500.
i talked to the guy who made this thing he said its gunna be around 400 for the half girdle and 800 for the full girdle... u be the judge he claims it works very well he broke 2 of the same diffs before and with this girdle he claims that it can take the beating im a believer i just want to see some hard launches and see it being put to work.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:30 AM
TECH Addict

Yeah I think I'll just make my own. The steel wont be much so basically its almost all labor and some know how. $800 for the full is rediculous.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:34 AM
TECH Resident

^^ thanks for the info! I think $800 for the full is high too, but it will be the ONLY thing on the market so we cant complain too much until some competition comes along.

Quick Reply: Differential Girdle