Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Brake Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2010, 09:24 AM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake Problems

Ok well seems I might have a problem with my rear brakes. I recently have been getting more and more brake squeal. I decided yesterday to pull the wheels off and see if I could see the problem and check the pads. Started with the front and everything seemed fine. The rotors would spin fairly easily, you could hear the pads touching the rotors but nothing that kept it from spinning. Then I went to the rear. Took the wheels off went to spin the rotor and it would not spin. It would take a significant amount of force to spin it. The parking brake was off and the car was in neutral and the wheels would still not spin.

The front pads looked great but the rear pads need to be replaced. Another symptom is the brake dust. My front wheels after 2 weeks would look ok, nothing bad at all, my rear wheels after 2 weeks would be black! The squeal is there while I am driving slow without putting the brakes on. I also get a horrible squeal when I am backing-up.

Any ideas what it could be. The only thing I can think of is to remove the calipers with the pads attached and see if it would spin to see if it is the pads pressing. Then completely unhook the e-brake to see if it would spin...anyone know how to completely disengage the e-brake from the rear wheels?

Please help here guys this is getting really annoying!!!
Old 10-23-2010, 01:02 PM
Launching!

how do you turn the adjuster on the parking brake shoe? Mine wont turn at all.
Old 10-23-2010, 01:10 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

are the drivers side and passenger side both worn out?

are both rear wheels turning black?

it almost sounds like a sticking caliper. but would seem odd to have both rear wheels doing it.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Spray some pb blaster on the adjuster, I've heard it's a pita, some had to replace the assembly. As for your brake problem, my guess is as good as the next, sticking calipers? I know they're not adjustable but these cars do have some sort of proportioning valves right? Is braking pressure even? or will it lock the rears up under hard braking?

OR, stability control does use the brakes to right the car, are you doing alot of slides/burnouts?
Old 10-23-2010, 05:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

One more idea...air in your front lines, overusing the rears to stop.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Launching!

not sure about the over using of the rear yet....but i think i found out the squealing. The inside rear brake pad what completely gone So I went and bought some duralast gold pads from autozone. Put them in and not a squeal! I will see about the brake dust, maybe the dealership I bought the car from put cheap *** pads in....if the dust continues I will check out the air in the front lines.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

You're not going to have an easy time spinning the rear. You have to turn through the diff, and there's lots of drag. The OEM Brembo pads dust quite a lot. My bet is the rears are original, and the fronts have been replaced with some type of low dust ceramic. How many miles on the car? My '05 with OE pads dusts the front and rear wheels pretty quickly, usually within 400 miles.

My rear pads do squeak. I believe it's because a ridge has built up around the outer inner diameter of the swept surface. I need to take a grinder to it and see if the squeak goes away. Maybe yours is the same?
Old 10-23-2010, 09:33 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Gus_Mahn
You're not going to have an easy time spinning the rear. You have to turn through the diff, and there's lots of drag. The OEM Brembo pads dust quite a lot. My bet is the rears are original, and the fronts have been replaced with some type of low dust ceramic. How many miles on the car? My '05 with OE pads dusts the front and rear wheels pretty quickly, usually within 400 miles.

My rear pads do squeak. I believe it's because a ridge has built up around the outer inner diameter of the swept surface. I need to take a grinder to it and see if the squeak goes away. Maybe yours is the same?
Very well could be. It was not a very smooth turn through the back wheels but it did help me figure out where the squeal was coming from. I kept thinking because of the hard to turn it was not fully releasing. The care has 65k miles on it.

I did notice the lip on the rotors. I thought it was just that mine where getting worn out, did not realize it was typical. Hopefully we will see how the new pads work.
Old 10-23-2010, 11:53 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

just make sure you are not treating the symptom but not the cause.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:54 AM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Wuzzy
just make sure you are not treating the symptom but not the cause.
I am trying to make sure that I have. That is why I did not spend a fortune on the pads themselves. The squeal was for sure the brake pads, went driving around last night after the bed-in process and not a single sound. Now that I know when the pads where replaced and what kind they are, I am going to keep an eye on them. If they wear out prematurely then that means it is the calipers, lines, or etc. I am going to bleed the brakes just to make sure there is no air in the system.

Knowing the dealership I bought the car from where a bunch of idots, would not surprise me that they just did not put good pads in or that they did not bed them in at all.
Old 10-24-2010, 01:43 PM
TECH Apprentice

BTW, other than the dust, I believe the OEM Brembo pads are fantastic. They stop outstandingly, last a loong time, and are minimally damaging to the rotors in terms of wear and warping. I paid $135 for OEM rear pads from a local Delco supplier. There was a Brembo sticker under the Delco sticker. Pretty cool (at least to me) but expensive.
Old 10-24-2010, 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by TriGuy
not sure about the over using of the rear yet....but i think i found out the squealing. The inside rear brake pad what completely gone
You've got bigger problems then. Sounds like the slider is stuck on that caliper which would also explain why the wheel wouldnt freely spin.

I had one do that in an fbody..it was so bad the car wouldnt roll downhill in neutral.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JJSimon904
You've got bigger problems then. Sounds like the slider is stuck on that caliper which would also explain why the wheel wouldnt freely spin.

I had one do that in an fbody..it was so bad the car wouldnt roll downhill in neutral.
It's a fixed caliper. There are no sliders. The only moving parts are the 4 pistons per caliper front and rear.
Old 10-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by JJSimon904

I got the wheels to spin. The opposite side was not fully off the ground. My jack had slowly lowered back down onto the jack stand and the wheel was touching. I was trying to spin the passenger side rear wheel which the driver side was slightly still touching the ground. Once I realized that I got them both in the air and they spun and the sqeauling was definetly coming from the rear wheels.

I am going to periodically check the new pads and see how they are wearing.

Quick Reply: Brake Problems