Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Clunking/Banging in driver front?? Strut??

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2010, 06:09 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Clunking/Banging in driver front?? Strut??

I put a post on here a while back and got some feedback saying that people thought my issue was most likely a strut or wheel bearing. I've had it up on a lift a couple times and haven't been able to lock down what the issue is. There is no noticeable slack or anything out of the ordinary in the front, but on bumpy roads I have a loose front left...I spent the weekend in the mountains, driving on the backroads and there was a couple times I thought the wheel was gonna fall off. Is there any way I can nail down what this may be without just starting to replace parts till I find the right one? I've taken it to 2 garages and neither time could I find a road that was rough enough to replicate the noises and overall loose feeling. It's a 04 with 93,xxx on the clock. Just wondering if someone has had anything similar or what parts typically go bad around 100k.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Have you checked your swaybar endlink(s)? I have a small clunk in the front sometimes myself and am thinking that is to blame. Problem is, you probably need to check it 'loaded' (weight down), so not sure easiest way. Irritating having little nuiasances like that on a suspension!
Old 12-05-2010, 07:49 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by JNR_Design
Have you checked your swaybar endlink(s)? I have a small clunk in the front sometimes myself and am thinking that is to blame. Problem is, you probably need to check it 'loaded' (weight down), so not sure easiest way. Irritating having little nuiasances like that on a suspension!
I haven't checked them alone...I had a shop look over the "entire front end" and said there wasn't anything worn out of the ordinary for the mileage. I don't really think they knew what they were looking at and were a bit overwhelmed by the V....At one point they had all 5 of their employees looking under the car at once. I talked to a guy last week that I have a little more confidence in his abilities that is gonna look at it tomorrow. THANKS for the suggestion, that gives me a direction to go.
Old 12-05-2010, 08:14 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar issue and similar diagnostic results: nothing. Then I decided to take a closer look at my endlinks. I removed the end that connects to the bar so I could examine the link better. Tight. Hmm. I put it back and did the same thing to the other side. Also tight. Double hmm. Then I got smart and pulled that one back off the bar and yank up and down on the sway bar. I tried this before and everything was tight, but with an end link disconnected I finally found my culprit. Both sides had worn sway bar bushings and the bar was clunking around but ONLY when one side of the car would hit a bump or a dip. If yours doesn't clunk over something like a speed bump taken evenly, but does over a single wheel bump or dip, do look into the above. Of course, the bushings are cheap but back ordered...

Oh and I have 101k on mine and I think the bushings are original. I noticed you're at 93k...but it could be a few other things in your case, like shocks, if this doesn't pan out.
Old 12-05-2010, 09:13 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by kevm14
I had a similar issue and similar diagnostic results: nothing. Then I decided to take a closer look at my endlinks. I removed the end that connects to the bar so I could examine the link better. Tight. Hmm. I put it back and did the same thing to the other side. Also tight. Double hmm. Then I got smart and pulled that one back off the bar and yank up and down on the sway bar. I tried this before and everything was tight, but with an end link disconnected I finally found my culprit. Both sides had worn sway bar bushings and the bar was clunking around but ONLY when one side of the car would hit a bump or a dip. If yours doesn't clunk over something like a speed bump taken evenly, but does over a single wheel bump or dip, do look into the above. Of course, the bushings are cheap but back ordered...

Oh and I have 101k on mine and I think the bushings are original. I noticed you're at 93k...but it could be a few other things in your case, like shocks, if this doesn't pan out.
Yep that sounds like mine...If I hit a speed bump or even a seam in the road, like a bridge seam there's no real noticeable banging around, but if I hit the ridges or potholes with the driver's side only it feels like I'm gonna leave a wheel behind.....Thanks for the answers and now I have some direction to look.....And back ordered??? Why would anyone be surprised?...i.e. motor mounts were on a 6 week back order when I bought my car..... Big Up to GM
Old 12-05-2010, 10:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Same thing on my car. Thinking it's the sway bar bushings as well
Old 12-06-2010, 09:59 AM
TECH Fanatic

it is the bushings.. just cut th wheel ad grab the bar..if u can pull it dide to side then theres ur problem
Old 12-06-2010, 10:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Same thing on my car. Thinking it's the sway bar bushings as well
Same here. It's annoying. Mine will do it if I hit a speed bump at over 5mph.

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
it is the bushings.. just cut th wheel ad grab the bar..if u can pull it dide to side then theres ur problem
I'll check that. Thanks.
Old 12-06-2010, 12:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Mine rarely does it on speedbumps or even the usual bumps on the road. It only happens when im on a rough road where the the bumps are abrupt and uneven. Its not horrible but its enough that i notice it. Im better a million bucks its my sway bar bushings since everything else in the steering/handling feels tight as it should. Ive just been too lazy to check it. About to do another oil change though so ill look at it when i get it on the lift.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:45 PM
Staging Lane

Mine seems kinda bad now. I'm hoping it's causing a weird side to side feeling over certain road surfaces. It feels so awful sometimes that I laid under my rear suspension for like an hour over the weekend. If it's just the front bushings causing the bar to have no resistance for a couple degrees of roll I will be THRILLED...still on back order....the stupidest **** for these cars is unavailable with no aftermarket vendor. Makes me so mad...
Old 12-07-2010, 08:32 PM
Launching!

My dealer ordered sway bar bushings for mine yesterday.... said it would be this week but we shall see. I have a feeling that they will call back and say they are backordered..pff
Old 12-07-2010, 08:53 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by .Houdini.
My dealer ordered sway bar bushings for mine yesterday.... said it would be this week but we shall see. I have a feeling that they will call back and say they are backordered..pff
I'm gonna call tomorrow and see what they tell me. How much $$ did they quote on these if you don't mind me asking? I'd like to see how much they vary by dealers. I got the "next week" runaround for 6 weeks on my motor mounts till I got some from a guy on here.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:17 AM
Launching!

No idea on the price...everything is under CPO warranty. sorry.
Old 12-09-2010, 01:02 PM
TECH Resident

@ the local dealer they are $15.99ea....Says it's a "special order" part and he's gonna get back with me on the timeline. I cut the wheel and it has about 1/4-1/2" of slack. Definitely a problem....Not sure if it's all the problem, but something that's GOTTA be replaced.
Old 12-09-2010, 02:15 PM
Launching!

I'm starting to hear the same type of clunk of bumps in the rear of the car now... time to check the bushings on that sway bar...sigh
Old 12-09-2010, 02:18 PM
TECH Resident

I'm starting to hear the same type of clunk of bumps in the rear of the car now... time to check the bushings on that sway bar...sigh
And the list goes on........How many miles?
Old 12-09-2010, 03:15 PM
TECH Regular

I have a similar noise over a bumpy road that seems like it's coming from the front struts. It only happends in cold temperatures though. When summer roles around I don't hear a thing...same road too.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:35 PM
Launching!

38500 miles on my 07 V. I must have over 3-4 pages of service history... Thank god I bought a CPO car with warranty through 7/2012.

Last edited by .Houdini.; 12-09-2010 at 04:59 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

38500k miles on my 07 V. I must have over 3-4 pages of service history... Thank god I bought a CPO car with warranty through 7/2012.
Hindsight is 20/20 FOR SURE...If I had it to do all over again, I would have paid a little more $$ for a V with lower mileage or at least still had some warranty left on it.....
Old 12-11-2010, 12:43 PM
Staging Lane

I think the front sway bar bushings get worse in cold weather because they shrink and harden. This makes the hole bigger and when the bar hits the bushing, it's louder. Mine is still driving me insane and I haven't heard anything from Luke on the status of the back order. I think I paid $12/ea or something.

Quick Reply: Clunking/Banging in driver front?? Strut??