Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

CTS-V Whipple supercharger

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2010, 07:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default CTS-V Whipple supercharger

I am looking at doing an upgrade and pulling off my 122 supercharger. Does anyone here have a whipple on here? Intercooled? max boost? what kind of numbers are they making? It maybe a shot in the dark on this but I need more airflow then the 122 can provide and i dont want to swap heads to do a hybrid TVS2300. I am looking to make at least 15-16 lbs of boost with a different setup. I am currently running a 416 ci ls3 and about 7 lbs boost (depending on belt slip) at 540RWHP. If it can be done i am pushing for closer to 750RWHP. If not keep what i have.....
Thanks
Sheldon
Old 12-16-2010, 08:58 PM
Launching!

Somebody did put a whipple on a CTS-V and there were pictures and the name of the shop that did it.
Can't remember, but I think it was on the other forum 6 months to a year back.

Found it.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...installed.html

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...ternative.html

http://www.dragonrace.com/

Last edited by Stepside; 12-16-2010 at 09:25 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 09:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

yea thats the only place ive seen that has done one.

why not go turbo, way more options as far as turbo sizes, boost etc.........but your prolyl set up for blower obviously.
Old 12-17-2010, 08:22 AM
TECH Regular

I'm guessing you are running a 243 casting ls6 heads?
You said you didn't want to, but it only seems logical to me to run swap on CNC'd ls3 heads and then run a jackshaft driven tvs2300. Do the 2010 SS and CTS-v share the same accessory drive spacing?

Or like itsslow said, sell your stuff and go Turbo. Thats the route I went, selling the supercharger and all the supporting accessories paid for 80-90% of my turbo build, if you do the work yourself.
Old 12-17-2010, 12:00 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Said you are running an LS3? If that's the case, why would you change heads? The G8 kit uses the same pulley config and should work well if you already have L92 or LS3 heads.

I hear that if you are running the cathedral port heads I believe the LS2 Vette manifold kit is the way to go, if you can get hold of one.
Old 12-17-2010, 01:51 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe you don't want to think of it as getting to a certain boost pressure, 15-16. The Whipple will be at 6-8 psi but, will be pushing a ton more air per revolution and most likely get you to the 750 mark.
Old 12-18-2010, 11:52 AM
On The Tree

I am running an LS3 but just block-stroked and forged rotating assembly-I have et perfomance heads on it that are cathedral port.
I do want to stick with a supercharger and not turbos just because of simplicity for me.

The reason I am not a fan of the TVS 2300 is you have to build a hybrid kit due to the jackshaft length and swap the heads. plus I struggle with the design since its similair to the 122. I was just hoping to see if anyone was using the Dragon Whipple Kit ( dont have to change the heads) and how they liked it and what kind of numbers they were putting down. I just like the 3.3 liter twin screw blower and the cooler charge temp with the ability to build more boost
Old 12-18-2010, 12:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im interested in buying your current setup.. pm me
Old 12-18-2010, 01:31 PM
Teching In

The Maggie TVS series will make just about as much power if not more per psi compared to the whipple and will make way more torque and have a broader powerband. And after having turbo and a Maggie I would choose the Maggie over the turbo every time. Unless the only thing your looking for is a dynoqueen so you can brag about the numbers you make then go turbo. I personally would rather have instant torque, huge predictable power and loads of fun on the street then go TVS. The turbo will cost just as much if not more and they can be a huge pain. If you decide to go with the TVS let me know. I can get you a killer deal on them. Or if you want to go turbo I have a guy in Vegas and in So Cal who can build awesome custom turbo kits for a reasonable price.

FTM
Old 12-18-2010, 02:11 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by NastyZ06Rebel
The Maggie TVS series will make just about as much power if not more per psi compared to the whipple and will make way more torque and have a broader powerband. And after having turbo and a Maggie I would choose the Maggie over the turbo every time. Unless the only thing your looking for is a dynoqueen so you can brag about the numbers you make then go turbo. I personally would rather have instant torque, huge predictable power and loads of fun on the street then go TVS. The turbo will cost just as much if not more and they can be a huge pain. If you decide to go with the TVS let me know. I can get you a killer deal on them. Or if you want to go turbo I have a guy in Vegas and in So Cal who can build awesome custom turbo kits for a reasonable price.

FTM
Why do you think the TVS will make more power then the whipple given its a smaller design and will have to be driven harder (2.3 l per rev vs 3.3 l per rev)to make the same airflow as the Whipple 3.3 ?
Old 12-18-2010, 04:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think Performance Solutions in Phoenix was doing a whipple kit for the V's, I had been talking about it with them but it was over a year ago. I'd talk to them and see what they say.
Old 12-18-2010, 04:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

FTM
Are you on crack? That is the absolute dumbest thing i have ever heard. Do a little research before you spout off dumb ****.

EDIT: second red highlighted part now makes sense why you said the dumbass comment before. I wouldnt buy a valve stem cap from you.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:37 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by s-cam
Why do you think the TVS will make more power then the whipple given its a smaller design and will have to be driven harder (2.3 l per rev vs 3.3 l per rev)to make the same airflow as the Whipple 3.3 ?
I'm sorry I should have been more clear. What I meant was the TVS will give a better torque curve down low given you are using the properly sized TVS blower for the motor. And with the potential of making 700-800hp to the wheels which is overkill for any street car. The Whipple does give potential to make bigger peak numbers due to it's larger size. So assuming either setup would be for a street car I would go with the TVS due to the fact the extra low end torque would be more fun on the street. You really can't go wrong with either. But the maggies have been around forever and are probably the most reliable blower on the market which is probably why you see them on the vehicles straight from the factory. Also Maggie offers extended warranties on the engine.
Old 12-18-2010, 06:49 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Are you on crack? That is the absolute dumbest thing i have ever heard. Do a little research before you spout off dumb ****.

EDIT: second red highlighted part now makes sense why you said the dumbass comment before. I wouldnt buy a valve stem cap from you.
Yeah considering I am an authorized dealer for a turbo kit company as well as for magnacharger I pobably don't know what I'm talking about. Considering I've installed plenty of turbo kits as well as PD blowers I probably don't know what I'm talking about. Considering I have built more then one turbo car and more then one car with a Maggie.....all domestics. And I also still own my twin turbo 99 Mustang GT and as well as a heads and cammed C5 with a Maggie on it both of which I also built on my own. I must be clueless.

Turbos are awesome. PD blowers are awesome. Nitrous is awesome. But it all depends on your intentions for how you plan on driving the car.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yeah considering I am an authorized dealer for a turbo kit company as well as for magnacharger I pobably don't know what I'm talking about. Considering I've installed plenty of turbo kits as well as PD blowers I probably don't know what I'm talking about. Considering I have built more then one turbo car and more then one car with a Maggie.....all domestics. And I also still own my twin turbo 99 Mustang GT and as well as a heads and cammed C5 with a Maggie on it both of which I also built on my own. I must be clueless.

Turbos are awesome. PD blowers are awesome. Nitrous is awesome. But it all depends on your intentions for how you plan on driving the car.
So doing all that, you still generalize all turbo cars as dyno queens that arent as fast as PD supercharged cars? Makes sense

BTW you must be putting together the wrong combination of stuff to have shitty running turbo cars.

Last edited by itsslow98; 12-18-2010 at 10:49 PM.
Old 12-18-2010, 08:59 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s-cam
Its simple. He has no clue.
Old 12-19-2010, 09:00 AM
TECH Enthusiast

So assuming either setup would be for a street car I would go with the TVS due to the fact the extra low end torque would be more fun on the street. You really can't go wrong with either. But the maggies have been around forever and are probably the most reliable blower on the market which is probably why you see them on the vehicles straight from the factory.
I'd just point out, twin-screws come on cars from the factory too, just not the GM factory. MB and Ford have used twin-screw blowers on cars straight from the factory.

Also, twin-screws and roots-type blowers are both positive-displacement, why would a twin-screw have a softer low-end?
Old 12-21-2010, 07:30 AM
Launching!

Hmmm, looks like some misunderstandings here.
As an aftermarket add-on, a twin-screw or maggie gives a better daily driver when veiwing cost, maintenance, and usable street torque/horsepower as compared to a turbo.
The twin-screw produces less heat for the given amount of air compressed than the TVS. That is the mathematical physics of it.
So, slight advantage to the twin-screw.
Applications for the maggie are more abundant and time proven.
Turbos . . . turbines . . need I say more. If your vehicle is designed around it, then it wins.
But our vehicles are not designed around turbos and the aftermarket practicality of it goes to positive displacement for overall streetability.

Last edited by Stepside; 12-21-2010 at 07:56 AM. Reason: more info
Old 12-21-2010, 09:03 AM
TECH Resident

Going from the stock 112 maggie on my 03 Cobra to a 2.3 Whipple I can tell you there is no loss in low end but a huuuuuuge gain in topend power and decrease in IAT's. Twinscrews are more efficient but the newer 4 lobe TVS rotor packs with more twist than the older 3 lobe blowers have closed the gap. Roots based blowers tend to be cheaper as well.
Old 12-21-2010, 11:16 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Stepside
Hmmm, looks like some misunderstandings here.
As an aftermarket add-on, a twin-screw or maggie gives a better daily driver when veiwing cost, maintenance, and usable street torque/horsepower as compared to a turbo.
The twin-screw produces less heat for the given amount of air compressed than the TVS. That is the mathematical physics of it.
So, slight advantage to the twin-screw.
Applications for the maggie are more abundant and time proven.
Turbos . . . turbines . . need I say more. If your vehicle is designed around it, then it wins.
But our vehicles are not designed around turbos and the aftermarket practicality of it goes to positive displacement for overall streetability.
i am going to disagree with you on the turbo talk.

Quick Reply: CTS-V Whipple supercharger