Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Dexron VI vs III

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 06:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dexron VI vs III

There's a thread on fluids to use, and the trans recommendation reminded me of a question I had.

I saw this document:
http://archives.media.gm.com/us/powe...56%20(MM6).pdf

It mentions the T56 was at some point filled with Dexron VI instead of III. Does anyone know how to tell which the car has? Dexron VI is synthetic and is supposed to last much longer than III (the name VI was because it enabled twice as long of a service interval as III).

Has anyone used that when changing fluids? Anything good or bad happen? It seems like a way to get a quality synthetic fluid without the concern that it's not right for the trans.
Old 12-31-2010, 07:25 PM
TECH Addict

The only thing I can think of is the CF blocker rings may not like the DEX VI. All speculation on my part however.
Old 01-01-2011, 01:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by raven154
The only thing I can think of is the CF blocker rings may not like the DEX VI. All speculation on my part however.
According to GM, in that linked document, all 2006 T56's were "compatible" with Dex6. I don't know if they had to make changes for that, or if the '04-05s are as well and GM just didn't state it.

I have noticed my FSM says to use Dex3. But the FSM doesn't tend to get revised once there is a final version, and that would happen early in the model year. If anyone has a 2007 FSM, does it say to use Dex3 or Dex6?

Quick Reply: Dexron VI vs III