Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Just ordered some OBX headers for the V

Old 01-16-2011, 09:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Just ordered some OBX headers for the V

I can't tell you enough how addicting it is to modify these cars. I've owned my V for under a month and I've already did a cam, valve springs, push rods, muffler deletes, x-pipe, Borla exahaust tips, K&N air filter, hollowed cats.

I just ordered some OBX headers so I'm hoping to push it past the 400rwhp mark.

Last edited by JD_Z28; 01-16-2011 at 09:27 PM.
Old 01-17-2011, 12:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice! Post some pics of the install. What is up with that god awful picture?
Old 01-17-2011, 02:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Boo on the pic.

Please show and tell us where you have to bang in the primary for the header to fit!
Old 01-17-2011, 03:25 PM
On The Tree

it is a video, you have to click it. But that thing sounds mean.
Old 01-17-2011, 05:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 06blackonblackctsv
it is a video, you have to click it. But that thing sounds mean.
Thanks Buddy!!
Old 01-17-2011, 05:45 PM
Launching!

im right there with ya, i just ordered some obx headers and magnaflow exhaust. already did the muffler delete too. i am getting pat g to spec a sleeper cam for me. i also am hoping to get a little over the 400whp mark. just enough to stay ahead of the local bolt on camaro boys.
Old 01-17-2011, 06:49 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JD_Z28
Thanks Buddy!!
No problem
Old 01-18-2011, 12:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

i dont think you have to bang in anything if your engine mounts are up to par. if they are sagging then you have to bang.... but i would just get new mounts.
Old 01-18-2011, 11:37 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Could you tell me about your build? I was going to do a cam first so I'm interested to see how the power turned out. I ended up putting headers and my FAST 92 on first (LS6) and am putting down 372 rwhp.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by andrewzpsu
Could you tell me about your build? I was going to do a cam first so I'm interested to see how the power turned out. I ended up putting headers and my FAST 92 on first (LS6) and am putting down 372 rwhp.
I'm running a 227/231 cam, x-pipe, no mufflers, K&N filter and a tune. I hoping the car makes 400rwhp with the long tubes. I currently don't have any dyno numbers with my setup.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

So I did my headers and UUP motor mounts. The headers are really nice and fit pretty good, the only issue is that they seem to want to tap the steering shaft on short turns (1/8 of a full rotation). I'm sure over time the tapping will go away after they wear from the occasional tapping. The headers do not come with bolts and the gaskets that come with them aren't the best choice. I would personally recommend new GM header gaskets with purchase of these headers. Expect more heat in your interior if you don't coat the headers or wrap them.
Old 01-24-2011, 10:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

So I did my headers and UUP motor mounts. The headers are really nice and fit pretty good, the only issue is that they seem to want to tap the steering shaft on short turns (1/8 of a full rotation). I'm sure over time the tapping will go away after they wear from the occasional tapping. The headers do not come with bolts and the gaskets that come with them aren't the best choice. I would personally recommend new GM header gaskets with purchase of these headers. Expect more heat in your interior if you don't coat the headers or wrap them.
Did you mean UUC motor mounts?
And are you serious about the steering shaft? You prefer wearing your steering or header? when either fail = not a good scenario...
Steering fail = who knows... I dont want to be on the road with you
Exhaust hole = ECM thinks too much air, will compensate rich if running CL
wow...

just lazy in my opinion. Nothing should 'RUB'
Remember, your motor moves when you give it gas, lets say your turning and tromp on it, who is to say the rubbing doesnt get worse or worse yet, lock your steering as it somehow jams...
Old 01-24-2011, 10:46 AM
TECH Apprentice

Agreed fix asap. Beat the header a bit if needed to get some space. Other then that how is the new power?
Old 01-24-2011, 03:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by vmapper
Did you mean UUC motor mounts?
And are you serious about the steering shaft? You prefer wearing your steering or header? when either fail = not a good scenario...
Steering fail = who knows... I dont want to be on the road with you
Exhaust hole = ECM thinks too much air, will compensate rich if running CL
wow...

just lazy in my opinion. Nothing should 'RUB'
Remember, your motor moves when you give it gas, lets say your turning and tromp on it, who is to say the rubbing doesnt get worse or worse yet, lock your steering as it somehow jams...
Sorry I meant UUC. The amount that the header is touching isn't enough to cause damage to either the header or shaft. Like I said it only taps when slightly turned and even then you can barely tell it's touching. When you rev the motor believe it or not but it doesn't touch at all. The header will eventually massage it's self against the shaft to where it wont be an issue. If it were hitting hard at all I would then say it was going to be an issue.

So you're telling me I should pull the header off and gently indent it for clearence? Why would I do that when it's going to do it on it's own?

Last edited by JD_Z28; 01-24-2011 at 03:56 PM.
Old 01-25-2011, 05:49 AM
Staging Lane

Sorry I meant UUC. The amount that the header is touching isn't enough to cause damage to either the header or shaft. Like I said it only taps when slightly turned and even then you can barely tell it's touching. When you rev the motor believe it or not but it doesn't touch at all. The header will eventually massage it's self against the shaft to where it wont be an issue. If it were hitting hard at all I would then say it was going to be an issue.

So you're telling me I should pull the header off and gently indent it for clearence? Why would I do that when it's going to do it on it's own?
Im having the same problem with my install. i had to get a longer 02 sensor for my driver side header too.I didn't change my motor mounts but i will soon. I have the CS motor mounts, didnt install them because the stock one looked fine. I am learning the hard way. I will listen next time to someone who has done it before.
Old 01-25-2011, 09:49 AM
TECH Apprentice

I would not pull the header off. I would mark where it is hitting the steering shaft and then take the steering shaft off and use a small pipe or piece of wood and a hammer to gently clearance the tube that is hitting. Your call but by now it may of already done it by itself. I would check though...good luck

ps. How is the new power from the headers? I am thinking of getting some soon...
Old 01-25-2011, 02:34 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chitown21y
I would not pull the header off. I would mark where it is hitting the steering shaft and then take the steering shaft off and use a small pipe or piece of wood and a hammer to gently clearance the tube that is hitting. Your call but by now it may of already done it by itself. I would check though...good luck

ps. How is the new power from the headers? I am thinking of getting some soon...
I was running stock manifolds with a cam before so the gains with the headers are very noticable.
Old 01-27-2011, 01:36 PM
Staging Lane

i installed a set of obx headers this weekend and the shaft hit so i massaged the header in prolly about less then an 1/8 of an inch to clear...have corsa cat back and more performance CAI tuned it last night and it made 372hp and 372 tq on an LS2
Old 02-10-2011, 10:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Like I thought, after 2 weeks of driving the car with the headers tapping the steering shaft it finally messaged it's self enough to where it doesn't touch anymore.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Just ordered some OBX headers for the V