Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

=( Just bought the car a week ago and now wont start!!! HELP!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 11:35 PM
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default =( Just bought the car a week ago and now wont start!!! HELP!!!!

So i "Just joined the Cts-v club" LOL and now i'm already working on it not even a week later! haha.

So i come home yday and the car was fine. Hour later i tried to start and got nothing. Lights turn on and everything. Just complete silence when trying to turn the key. Had a buddy check it out and it seems the WIRE HARNESS FOR THE STARTER got really hot and has been completely. Its starting up right now but the harness needs to be replaced! Anyone know where i can get one cheap or is anyone selling one on here? Appreciate any help. I guess i heard this is a common thing but mainly cars with longtubes! I still have the stock headers. Anyway please call me if you have a harness for sale.

Thanks
Gill
916-871-3719
Old 02-03-2011, 04:02 AM
TECH Fanatic

There's a guy parting his V out in the classifieds section. U might wanna hit him up.
Old 02-03-2011, 04:51 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by A-Bomb
There's a guy parting his V out in the classifieds section. U might wanna hit him up.
thanks
Old 02-03-2011, 04:52 AM
TECH Resident

Just because it has stock manifolds now doesn't mean it always did. Good luck finding the harness.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:18 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When I had a no-start issue a few weeks ago, during a search, I found a thread that had a GM part number for the replacement pigtail that pugs into the starter solenoid.

I had a bad starter, but the wiring harness was still pliable and the insulation was still in tact.

I wish I could point you to the thread that had that info in it. But a search should yield you decent enough results.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:42 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mitchntx
When I had a no-start issue a few weeks ago, during a search, I found a thread that had a GM part number for the replacement pigtail that pugs into the starter solenoid.

I had a bad starter, but the wiring harness was still pliable and the insulation was still in tact.

I wish I could point you to the thread that had that info in it. But a search should yield you decent enough results.
A friend sent me this. I think its the link your talking about. The other link is the forum discussion about it.

http://frugalmechanic.com/auto-part/...delco&t=PT1762

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...t-start-3.html
Old 02-03-2011, 06:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That's not the thread I saw, but it certainly is the same information.

My issue was definitely the starter motor. Sounded like a box of marbles when I hit it with 12V on the work bench.
Old 02-03-2011, 06:55 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by mitchntx
That's not the thread I saw, but it certainly is the same information.

My issue was definitely the starter motor. Sounded like a box of marbles when I hit it with 12V on the work bench.
Lol thats not good. Yea mine was complete silence, and after playing with the harness it started right up again. so i'm thinking it must be the burnt, melted harness thats causing the problem.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:29 AM
-T-
TECH Enthusiast

I bought my pigtail from rockauto.com . Also, check your connections at the battery and make sure your grommets covering your terminals aren't being compressed in between. That was my problem. Haunted me for over 6 months. I then eventually had to replace my starter because my solenoid came loose from me jerking on the wires. Good luck man.

And really, don't overlook the connection. It really is **** especially in interstate batteries.
Old 02-03-2011, 10:09 AM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

I had the melted harness deal on my car. It happened after installing Kooks headers, but the tech @ Lindsay said it's pretty common even with the stock shorty headers.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:09 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by -T-
I bought my pigtail from rockauto.com . Also, check your connections at the battery and make sure your grommets covering your terminals aren't being compressed in between. That was my problem. Haunted me for over 6 months. I then eventually had to replace my starter because my solenoid came loose from me jerking on the wires. Good luck man.

And really, don't overlook the connection. It really is **** especially in interstate batteries.

Thanks! My connections seem ok. i'll double check tho. I have an optima battery.
Old 02-03-2011, 03:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GuLuMoNeY
Thanks! My connections seem ok. i'll double check tho. I have an optima battery.

Optima FTW! That's $200 well spent!
Old 02-03-2011, 03:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
I had the melted harness deal on my car. It happened after installing Kooks headers, but the tech @ Lindsay said it's pretty common even with the stock shorty headers.

Thanks. that makes me feel better that atleast its happened to others and that its not just from my car. I seen a link somewhere about a company called WIRE CONCEPTS making a wire harness with high temperature tolerant. I just gave them a call but its an old ad and there website isn't working so we'll see what they say when and if they call back.

here's the link.

http://www.cadillacdirectory.com/blo...-concepts.html

Monday, January 23, 2006

New Wire Harness from Wire Concepts Break Ground in Automotive Industry

by Heidi Boh�rquez

Aircraft technology adds excitement to the American hot rod.

San Juan Capistrano, CA (PRWEB) January 12, 2006 -- Wire Concepts today announced the launch of their new Starter Mini Harness designed for small block Chevrolet engines and other high performance vehicles. Wire Concepts is the first to offer this state of the art technology to the automotive industry.

The new harness has been turning heads at racing and automotive events with its exciting new look and heavy-duty performance.

"The Starter Mini Harness was developed from necessity," says David McDermott, harness developer and co-founder of Wire Concepts, "As a mechanic and race car enthusiast, I found that the starter wire was constantly burning up and melting under the intense heat produced from the header. I initially just made it for myself, then all my friends wanted it, then their friends and so on. It's so outstanding because it's truly the last starter wire harness you'll ever have to buy for your car," explains McDermott.

The Starter Mini Harness has a high temperature tolerant wire core surrounded in yet another heat shield . The stainless steel braid is then added on the exterior for greater protection and enhanced appearance. Standard OEM (original equipment manufacturer) wire harnesses, made of simple copper wire and basic insulation, are not resistant to intense header heat. When meltdown occurs starter wires may experience an electrical short, termination of starter wire function, and in worse case scenarios causing fire and extensive damage to the wire harness and vehicle. The Starter Wire Mini-Harness by Wire Concepts is designed to withstand heat temperatures up to 1,000 degrees, making it the most durable harness on the automotive market.

The Starter Mini Harness offers an advantage in competition settings. By simply unplugging the Starter Mini Harness, quick removal of the starter is possible thereby shortening engine removal time. As an upgrade to stock applications in which the starter wires are extremely difficult to remove, this harness makes future removal and installation dramatically more efficient.

Currently the harness from Wire Concepts may be adapted for most applications with use of the Universal Kit in which connectors may be applied to individual project needs.

The Wire Concepts Starter Mini Harness is available for purchase online through their website at http://www.wireconcepts.com . For more information please contact Heidi Boh�rquez or David McDermott at (949) 412-2925.

About Wire Concepts
Wire Concepts, a California-based company, produces the highest quality wire harnesses and cables for high performance automobiles. Developing products for durability and beauty, Wire Concepts is at the heart of the mechanic and car enthusiast alike.

http://www.wireconcepts.com
Old 02-03-2011, 03:26 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by A-Bomb
Optima FTW! That's $200 well spent!

lol thanks. i'm lucky it actually came with the car haha

Quick Reply: =( Just bought the car a week ago and now wont start!!! HELP!!!!