Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Push button start for 04-07 V's

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Push button start for 04-07 V's

I have been getting a lot of PM's this week about people looking for wire diagrams and how I got the remote start button to work. Just get a engine start button from Honda for a 2004 and up S2000, then you will see that the electrical terminals inside are numbered and very small. If you can find a pig tail for the button the that would work best, but I called a few Dealers and could not, so I cut the plastic housing around terminals and soldered about 12 inches of wire to #1-3 terminals, then used heat shrink so they don't touch. #1 from button will go to yellow crank signal wire from ignition switch to PCM. you can cut wire and make the key not able to crank car or you can just solder wire in-line so they both still work to crank car. #2 goes to key on power supply, use a test light to find there are a lot to choose from. #3 goes to ground. I will post latter what size hole I drilling to get switch to fit perfect. Hope this help....

Old 02-19-2011, 09:28 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Very cool, i never really understood the function of it other then looks but very innovative. So do you not need a key at all to start the car now, im not familiar with push buttons.
Old 02-19-2011, 10:13 AM
TECH Resident

Most likely need the key in the ignition in the on position i would assume to start the car. You would need an electronic key or fob.

I know my brother in laws is350 does not even have a key, nor does the is-f as i was looking at getting one. They have an electronic key fob. You can leave it in your pocket, get in, push the brake in and hit start.
Old 02-19-2011, 11:04 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by big reg
Most likely need the key in the ignition in the on position i would assume to start the car. You would need an electronic key or fob.

I know my brother in laws is350 does not even have a key, nor does the is-f as i was looking at getting one. They have an electronic key fob. You can leave it in your pocket, get in, push the brake in and hit start.
Yea thats what I thought, that would make it worth it, having to use the key and the button seems kinda pointless. I know the Lexus the doors unlock and exterior lights come on as soon as you walk up on the car as well.

OP anyways to get it to work with an electronic setup so you have no use to the key?
Old 02-19-2011, 01:29 PM
On The Tree

it's still pretty cool!! Good job, maybe you can write up a how to or pm me details, I love doing little projects like this.
Old 02-19-2011, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Don't the c6 vettes have the eletronic key fob and push button start. If I remember right a friend of mine had this in his 07 vette. Wonder if it would be an easy swap seein as they are gm products?? I always like the push button start. Nice job op.
Old 02-19-2011, 03:46 PM
TECH Resident

Received 60 Likes on 46 Posts

Thanks OP!!!!
Old 02-19-2011, 08:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's pretty cool

I never understood why the Gen IV vipers have push button but require the key inserted...I agree, pointless.
Old 02-20-2011, 08:47 AM
On The Tree

Well yea you do need to have the key in the ignition, but what I would eventually like to do is find a possible after market alarm or key fob system that wakes up the car when ever you get inside in with the key fob. I really like how that system works on the Corvettes. That is how you start the Honda S2000, so it may seem a little corny, but the make a few Factory cars that start that way as well. The other thing that the CTS-V owners may like is when you turn the key to the on position and push the button to start it doesnt turn off any of the accessories to crank the engine, so for the guys that like to get you favorite movie set up on the DVD player you can do it before starting the engine.
Old 02-20-2011, 12:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

very cool that it can be done, but for me i think it would be annoying, i drove a guys s2000 once, and thought it was just an inconvenience to have to put the key in, turn it, then go over and hit a button.

If somebody figured out how to adapt true keyless starting i would spend good money on that (especially if they could get keyless unlocking by just being near the car)
Old 02-20-2011, 01:20 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Wuzzy
very cool that it can be done, but for me i think it would be annoying, i drove a guys s2000 once, and thought it was just an inconvenience to have to put the key in, turn it, then go over and hit a button.

If somebody figured out how to adapt true keyless starting i would spend good money on that (especially if they could get keyless unlocking by just being near the car)
I know! Now I really want to start looking for something like that.
Old 02-20-2011, 03:48 PM
TECH Addict

You could always hide the start button as well. It would make a good theft deterrent. They may get in, but they wouldn't be driving off in it. Then again, not sure I would want the car after being molested by thugs.
Old 02-20-2011, 04:00 PM
TECH Resident

I did mine today but in a different place.

Old 02-20-2011, 08:11 PM
On The Tree

Subscribed.

Where is the best place to get the start button...Honda or online somewhere?

LAW
Old 02-20-2011, 08:37 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LS6BlackCTS-V
... The other thing that the CTS-V owners may like is when you turn the key to the on position and push the button to start it doesnt turn off any of the accessories to crank the engine, so for the guys that like to get you favorite movie set up on the DVD player you can do it before starting the engine.
Do you think this would apply to the navigation system, as far as being to operate any of the functions while driving? I hate how it limits you so much, unless you're pretty much stopped. If that's the case, then do you think it affects any other functions of the vehicle since it "thinks" it's not started, so to speak (in that regard)? Possibly not though, as the ECU must still know the engine is started and the vehicle is travelling at 'x' speed, etc...I'd like to find a way to fool that crappy nav into thinking the parking brake was on or something, without affecting anything else, but best thing would be to get a real nav/stereo system in here and have some screen for the driver info stuff

Not something I'd probably do to mine, but cool idea nonetheless!
Old 02-20-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Resident

TheLaw: I got mine off eBay. I got the push button for $47 shipped and the pigtail for $12 shipped. I really like the mod but I think I may go this route: http://advancedkeys.com/ kind of pricey but I might splurge.

JNR Design: it doesn't trick the Nav. I'm copying oh5v's install of an aftermarket HU and I will post pics when i'm done.
Old 02-21-2011, 04:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

That advanced keys looks really cool plus i like the added safety of them not being able to start the car without one of the key cards. So you're getting an alarm with the keyless entry and start.
Old 02-21-2011, 09:15 AM
TECH Resident

Night shot of light illuminated

Old 02-21-2011, 01:30 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by azn2dmax
TheLaw: I got mine off eBay. I got the push button for $47 shipped and the pigtail for $12 shipped. I really like the mod but I think I may go this route: http://advancedkeys.com/ kind of pricey but I might splurge.

JNR Design: it doesn't trick the Nav. I'm copying oh5v's install of an aftermarket HU and I will post pics when i'm done.
Nice! So they do make something like that for just any car. I'm getting one today and price seems fair. I like the location of your start button, but I was just worried if I put it there then I bump it when driving ...
Old 02-21-2011, 01:33 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by JNR_Design
Do you think this would apply to the navigation system, as far as being to operate any of the functions while driving? I hate how it limits you so much, unless you're pretty much stopped. If that's the case, then do you think it affects any other functions of the vehicle since it "thinks" it's not started, so to speak (in that regard)? Possibly not though, as the ECU must still know the engine is started and the vehicle is travelling at 'x' speed, etc...I'd like to find a way to fool that crappy nav into thinking the parking brake was on or something, without affecting anything else, but best thing would be to get a real nav/stereo system in here and have some screen for the driver info stuff

Not something I'd probably do to mine, but cool idea nonetheless!
Well do you know what to do so that the DVD Player keeps playing a movie when driving right??

Quick Reply: Push button start for 04-07 V's