Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Need EXACT MEASUREMENTS of Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 03:10 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need EXACT MEASUREMENTS of Motor Mounts

Comrades,

I am in need of the exact measurements of the motor mounts. With the help of some other enthusiasts (on this forum), we are attempting to create an alternative and I (of course) am willing to be the test subject.

In order to get this off the ground, if someone can post or PM me the exact measurement of any mount (stock or creative steel), I would be much obliged.

Thanks in advance,

LAW
Old 02-23-2011, 10:02 PM
Staging Lane

Which part do you need measurements of? The rubber oil filled mount of the aluminum pieces that bolt to the mount and adapt to the cradle and engine?
I have a couple stock broken mounts I could measure up if need be.
Let me know.
Old 02-23-2011, 10:25 PM
On The Tree

Need every dimension of the oil filled (stock) mount. We are working on a piece that will work like these aftermarket poly mounts, but yet be indestructible. They will fit between the two, stock aluminum pieces.

Thanks man,

LAW
Old 02-24-2011, 12:34 AM
Staging Lane

Mine are all broken and pretty wasted so the dimensions will probably not be accurate enough but I will see if I can get a look at a new part.
Old 02-24-2011, 12:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

The compression of the stockers is taken into account for their design, so you can't make solid mounts with the same dimensions.
Old 02-24-2011, 08:14 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by UnsafeAtAnySpd
The compression of the stockers is taken into account for their design, so you can't make solid mounts with the same dimensions.
Good point....I'm obviously not the brains behind this (see Punishment and Doc), but rather the test subject.

Since the aftermarket, poly mounts don't have that kind of "give", anyone have measurements of those?

LAW
Old 02-24-2011, 09:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry LAW, ive been swamped at work.. ill get on this hopefully sunday and try to get a set made up by next weekend. i have the metal just need the time
Old 02-24-2011, 10:05 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
sorry LAW, ive been swamped at work.. ill get on this hopefully sunday and try to get a set made up by next weekend. i have the metal just need the time
No problem man....I've been covered up here as well. Just keep me posted if you need anything from me or I can help in any way.

LAW
Old 02-24-2011, 01:13 PM
TECH Apprentice

I am getting a new set of CS mm's next week so I will post asap if you don't have the measurement by then.
Old 02-24-2011, 10:03 PM
Staging Lane

I have a customer thinking about doing some solid engine mounts.
How is the increase in harshness and noise?
I have driven other cars that had solid mounted engines and transmissions but never a V.
Old 02-25-2011, 07:26 AM
On The Tree

Chitown,

That woul be perfect. Thanks man.

Ecotec,

I undoubtedly know that they should transmit more vibes than a poly mount. However, I doubt it is bad as some may assume. Since many people have recanted their statement that engine mounts are causing the harsh vibes after it was discovered that the tranny mount was the culprit.

Either way, I am willing to try it out and report back. I'm on the stock mounts at the moment so i will notice any change and relay that info to the Collective.

LAW
Old 02-25-2011, 10:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ecotec88fiero
I have a customer thinking about doing some solid engine mounts.
How is the increase in harshness and noise?
I have driven other cars that had solid mounted engines and transmissions but never a V.
Well, if''n when I get measurements I can whip up a set for TheLAW. If you want one too...let me know, and I can punch out two sets.

Originally Posted by TheLAW
Chitown,

That woul be perfect. Thanks man.

Ecotec,

I undoubtedly know that they should transmit more vibes than a poly mount. However, I doubt it is bad as some may assume. Since many people have recanted their statement that engine mounts are causing the harsh vibes after it was discovered that the tranny mount was the culprit.

Either way, I am willing to try it out and report back. I'm on the stock mounts at the moment so i will notice any change and relay that info to the Collective.

LAW
REady whenever you are!
Old 02-25-2011, 01:13 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

no dimensions but two versions i made:
Old 02-25-2011, 01:44 PM
Staging Lane

I like the one of the right.
Have those been installed and tested?

Dr. Speed, what material are you going to make them out of? Wanna test them out on your V?
Old 02-25-2011, 04:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I would prefer a urethane bushing - I'm not making enough power to destroy a urethane bushing...but I do have the ability to fab up that looks like a solid version of MM's.
Old 02-25-2011, 05:38 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

MM, I saw a pair like that (left 2-piece version) on ebay a few weeks ago and was tempted to buy...what did you sell them for new (assuming you sold some)? You still make them?
Old 02-25-2011, 06:24 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by DrSpeed
I would prefer a urethane bushing - I'm not making enough power to destroy a urethane bushing...but I do have the ability to fab up that looks like a solid version of MM's.
I just like the simplicity of the non jointed mount. Made of urethane or delrin would be slightly forgiving(compared to solid steel or aluminum but pretty damn ridgid.
I made some delrin and steel control arm bushings and a trans mount in my lathe for another project car of my own and they worked great.

Do you guys still want stock mount dimensions or not? I could put stock ones in a press to simulate the load if need be and take measurements from there. Let me know
Old 02-25-2011, 09:14 PM
On The Tree

Yeah, Eco...I bet those dimensions under load would be a big help. Thanks man.

LAW
Old 02-25-2011, 11:10 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 45 Likes on 31 Posts

i never sold any, i made them for myself along with posted some cad pics. as for the 'jonted' version, it was far too ridgid for my tastes and removed at which point i poured my own urethane mounts. i figured since the $400 d3 mounts were done so poorly (first gen) that I couldnt do any worse. ( and i didnt )

problem is that the urethane mounts deform *some* with heat and that needs to be considered. I believe delrin would be too rigid. a cast hard rubber solution would be premium.

some say they dont care if mounts transmit some vibration and just want it to hold the motor still. same people that are fine with a solid axle conversion, no cats, and a solid roller cam.

in a cadillac, none of the above is OK for me, and the 80A urethane was my solution.
Old 02-25-2011, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

Now that I think about it, I was using delrin because I did not want the squeaks you get when sliding polyurethane against steel.
It probably would be too rigid for most.

How do you like the urethane ones you made?
Heat shielding would be a must.

Quick Reply: Need EXACT MEASUREMENTS of Motor Mounts