Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Hendrix Engineering - Fortuitous Purchase?

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2011, 08:45 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hendrix Engineering - Fortuitous Purchase?

First off, I just got this car (a 2004 V) three weeks or so ago. Since then, I've lowered it (H&R and MM), cut off the mufflers (out of curiousity, but I'm doing Magna and Kooks with cutouts) and did a complete stereo. I'll talk about that all in another thread.

I also put in a Katech shifter from Lingenfelter (which doesn't come with a bushing, which is stupid... yet another thread I'll make and the solution we came up with), as well as a Hendrix Engineering Lightweight Flywheel and Clutch. I really really like the stuff from Hendrix so far, just as my salesman from National Speed, Inc (Jordan Watson) said I would. He's been right every time on other projects of mine.

The stories and pictures of snapped axles lead me to ask if Hendrix had a solution for the ridiculous inability for the drivetrain of these cars to handle the power. Thomas said that they had two solutions - A) an axle that is designed correctly, or B) the whole kit and kaboodle, the Pro Axle kit. Honestly, I don't even know what all this has in it but I was in love. I upgraded everything possible (to "road-course standards" he said) and gave my CC number and had it all shipped. That was 5 days ago. Three days ago, I joined AAA. One day ago, I snapped an axle. How wild.

So I had the car towed to my fave shop, and am waiting to hear when the complete rear end will be there from Hendrix. I hope soon, as we aren't far from them (Charlotte to Knoxville isn't bad at all - I could drive to go get it if it hasn't shipped yet). I want to get this baby back on the road. I also want to never have a concern about the axles again.

I'll be doing a build thread on this new setup from Hendrix Engineering. I hope you all stop in to see it. And more than that, I hope that it doesn't suck.
Old 04-17-2011, 08:53 PM
TECH Apprentice

good luck
Old 04-17-2011, 09:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Good luck. I think there is a reason he is not an authorized vendor here any longer. Aside from the failed products and the fact that he stopped paying his bills (collections ban), i'm sure he's a good guy.

The DSS axles are legit, but from what others have said about his clutches on the V...I'd stay away. Look at LS7, LS9, Monster, Spec etc.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ive also heard of a certain ls9 that was adertised on here that broke as well^^^, but yes i havent heard great reviews on his clutches but his axles are legit.
Old 04-17-2011, 09:40 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Get us the part number off of your current Diff...the early ones had problems shearing the pinion from the case. I think the latest GEN-4 PN is 25873498.

If you do not have the latest Diff (for a cool $1300) you might want to look into the G-Force 9" conversion that has everything to include a new drive shaft and 1000 hp axles. It works.

Last edited by DMM; 04-17-2011 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Ive also heard of a certain ls9 that was adertised on here that broke as well^^^, but yes i havent heard great reviews on his clutches but his axles are legit.
Yes, a few GTO guys in 2008 liked his clutches...and I think one V guys made it work. And yes, the DSS axles sold by Hendrix are legit.

I've heard more positive reviews about the LS9 clutch than I have his clutch on the V. Maybe that's cause he only sold one...and it didn't fit. So he gave it to someone who shoehorned it in with some modifications.

Good luck OP...I'd stick with a LS7 or Monster level 2 clutch.
Old 04-17-2011, 10:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by whisler151
Good luck. I think there is a reason he is not an authorized vendor here any longer. Aside from the failed products and the fact that he stopped paying his bills (collections ban), i'm sure he's a good guy.

The DSS axles are legit, but from what others have said about his clutches on the V...I'd stay away. Look at LS7, LS9, Monster, Spec etc.
Dss is really the only legit axle make i would stand behing and honestly every clutch you mention has had its fair share of issues with the cts-v crowd.

the fact that you even mention spec shocks me.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:28 AM
TECH Addict

SPEC.........lol
Old 04-18-2011, 12:29 AM
TECH Addict

I would hesitate to order anything from Thomas. He my come across a little brash on the forums, but the guy will bend over backwards to help you out.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:32 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

he goes above and beyond helping people out. it also seems every time i open a gm performance magazine one of his cars is in there making silly hp.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:09 AM
On The Tree

Well fellas, I just got it up on a lift.

The carrier itself is broken at every mounting point. The diff is hanging there somehow. Actually knocked the exhaust off the hangers. The passenger axle is destroyed and the driveshaft is snapped next to the diff.

I don't even know what comes with Thomas' $2000 kit. I have that on order and am looking forward to hearing if it's already on its way or not. I also really need to get a detailed description of what this comes with so that I can find the other stuff.

Sorry to ask questions here that I could find through searching, but I'm literally here in the shop bay with my car now. I need to get this thing fixed pronto and back on the road. But I also need to get it done correctly so that this never happens again. This sucks.

Does someone make a goiod one-piece driveshaft? What does the Hendrix Pro kit come with? What else do I need? Does it only come with the axles and such, or any diff internals? Surely it doesn't come with a carrier, does it?

Any help is GREATLY appreciated.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:27 AM
Launching!

I thought the pro kit was just new axles with race CVs. You're going to have to get yourself another carrier.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:36 AM
On The Tree

Old 04-18-2011, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

Those pics suck. I know.

OK. So the DSS is just the axles (both) and race CVs. I need a carrier. I need to find one out of what year? I have seen in other posts that I should find a 2007 V. Others say 2006 will work. Others say to find a 2008 non-v. From what I can see, those came with different gear ratios. So what is the way to go here? Lastly, anyone know anything about a one piece driveshaft?
Old 04-18-2011, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Man that sucks, good luck with the build.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blakt Out
The carrier itself is broken at every mounting point. The diff is hanging there somehow. Actually knocked the exhaust off the hangers. The passenger axle is destroyed and the driveshaft is snapped next to the diff.
Damn, that sucks.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:48 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

I would give Chris over a G-FORCE a call about his 9" kit...comes with everything (drive shaft, axles, carrier with your choice of gears, etc) for $5k. The OE drive shaft is $1k, a GEN 4 Diff is $1300, and your soon to come axles are at least $1k...you are almost there now. Do the 9" and you will never have to worry about it again.

Have to admit that is pretty impressive though...what exactly did you do to get that amount of carnage?
Old 04-18-2011, 08:56 AM
On The Tree

3500 rpm drop on very grippy pavement. That's it. Sucked.
Old 04-18-2011, 08:57 AM
On The Tree

Is that 9" kit still IRS?
Old 04-18-2011, 09:12 AM
TECH Resident

Sure is.

Quick Reply: Hendrix Engineering - Fortuitous Purchase?