Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

everything great until harmonic balancer...

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 12:56 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default everything great until harmonic balancer...

everything went great until the harmonic balancer...
Maggie snapped on like a charm, well almost because they ran out of LS2 directtions and sent LS6 instead. Not such a big deal, just a matter of which tubing goes under the unit, which goes on top. Mechchanic told me "basically you can tell by how much they give you." New install directions alreaready been emailed. I will give an A- to Magnuson for customer service, they try their assess off to keep the consumer happy. A STRONG word of caution when dealing with Hendrix Engineering. Hendrix (or should I say Thomas at Hendrix) has the reputation for underselling EVERYONE else handling Magnuson supercharger kits. The reason he has this reputation is because it's COMPLETELY true! I purchased my MP 112 lock stock and barrel for $4900-NO ONE can touch that price! Go ahead and try, I dare ya, no I double dare ya! Problem is they leave out the hand held tuner unit that containts the custom tune for your CTS-V. Magnuson will sell the unit for $400, supposedly all ready to go for whatever it is we have done to out lovely Cadillac CTS'v. Apparently if you have an 04 ot 05, you must send the entire ECU in for a reflash, while 06 and 07 can be "maill ordered" back with the tuner. The other option would be to flat bed the V and send it to a nice reputable LS tuner and start from scratch. I'm looking at just sending it via flat bed and buying SCT3, which Cindy at Manuson assures me hold up to 4 different tunes
So the OBX headers went on "flawlessley" according to Ling Pao Chung (not his real name). He did run over to the local Chvey dealy and replaced gaskets and bolts. We tied the stoxk OBX "resonators (fake cats)" directly into the stock 06 CTSV exhaust system. LOOKS superlative...haven't heard it run yet, nor have Mass or CT state police! That should be an interesting exchange of ideaas. This installer has chose to apply heat wrap tape to known vulnernable areas, such as starter and battery cables, brake lines, there was NO TOUCHING of the steering column, at all! He was actually able to poing out areas where GM had already insulated problems spots with an aluminized foil tape materieal.
Now the problem spot (isnt't there always one?). Freaking Innovators West Harmonic Balancer. It's such a pure thing of beaty that I've left it on my kitchen table as a centerpiece for the last three weeks! Words can't describe it's beauty!! The drill holes are so close to the crank that they emit light! Anyway, problems putting it on. It arrives "keyed" but most folks prefer to just go ahead and drill two holes throught the piece and "'pin" it to the crankshaft. For some reason yet unknown to me, my wrench does not see to be able to do this. He became very upset last night and refused to discuss the matter anly more. I mean this is basically the last step until drive the sucker away! Anyone albe to descibribe this layer of frustration we have encountered, or suggest an alternative suggestions.
Old 04-24-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Go ahead and pay the extra 400 for the handheld to have a CRAPPY worthless canned tune that will do more harm then good. They are borderline on maggie only cars let alone header/pullied cars. Then you have to spend another 400 on a dynotune at least so you have 800 wrapped up in a tune.

I have seen 40rwhp gains from just a dynotune over a canned tune for magnuson.
Old 04-25-2011, 03:11 PM
On The Tree

Default crapppy maggie tner

Well, I bought the damn thing. Reason 1: I only paid $4900 for the entire unit. Reason 2: at least I can drive the damn thing out of the garage where its's been taking up space for over a week (flat bed would have been $100) and Reason 3, the biggest one, is that Magnuson will only warranty superchargers that have their programs initially installed. I guess they don't give a **** what you do later, but start up program must be theirs! Go figure, but it seems like a pretty good insurance policy for $400 bucks! Probably some fine print in there somewhere though...

ON another subject, I'm watching "American Chopper'" and Rick comes flying up the driveway in a 2005 CTS-V with some chrome wheels I've never seen anywhwere before, probably made them himsef

Oh, I will also have it dyno tuned, also!
Old 04-25-2011, 03:21 PM
Staging Lane

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i034krMY1Ek

its magnacharged
Old 04-25-2011, 03:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

Vinny owned a maggied V...

Hope you get the bugs worked out i would like to see this thing someday!
Keith
Old 04-27-2011, 12:02 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by kzeliminator
Sorry, wrong American chopper dude!! Nice run at 12.5 anway. Magnacharger, that's it?

Quick Reply: everything great until harmonic balancer...