Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Oh, it's only the 400 hp one

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 07:14 AM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by wcryan
Another good quote...... At least we dont have chrome vents on our cars, haha
I personally like em, but I made mine black

Originally Posted by KamaSutra
Most people that I talk to that suddenly get dissapointed with the horsepower on the V1 can barely put down 200whp on whatever they're putting around with. Its all a numbers game. Just tell them its your daily/winter beater and move on haha.

It just goes to show that proper marketing works. The V1s were pretty much invisible to the general public but everyone knows about the V2s. Now they might not be able to tell the difference right off the bat between the V1 and V2 (I guess our cars haven't aged too bad lol) but they at least know the V Series exists.
Yeah how much did caddy advertize the v1.... both are nice cars, just in their own ways. I love the fact that for 300 bucks plus a tune you can make the v2 have 550rwhp.

Originally Posted by meatyCTS-V
I agree, I think those vents really cheapen the look of the car...

And the damned edges and things look so sharp you could get cut on them!

The V1's definitely a better choice in body style, IMO.

-meaty
I love the lines and edges of the v2. Everyday when I walk to the car in my parking garage the lines all kind of blend together and just look sexy! But hey each to their own. I think the v1's are BA in their own right too. Heck pretty sure my bro's v1 will still beat me, for now

I'm not sure how much GM could drop the weight of the v2, and still stay competitive in ride and quality with the german crowd.... Even today I still think the m3 and AMG have better interiors then me, but then again, I really don't care about that like my m3 friends do. I want the straight line power
Old 06-09-2011, 08:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I feel like I say it more than anyone else... just because they start with the 500something hp and I have to correct them. Can't let em think it's something it's not.
Old 06-09-2011, 11:14 AM
Teching In

Eventually when the V3s come out then the V2 guys will know how V1 guys feel.

" oh, its just the 556hp one........"
Old 06-09-2011, 12:22 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get more comments about a cadi that has a 6speed... Then I tell them it has a vette motor and they ask "how much did it cost to put that in it"? I'm sure everyone has had to explain that it came from the dealership like that as much as I have...
Old 06-09-2011, 12:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
I get more comments about a cadi that has a 6speed... Then I tell them it has a vette motor and they ask "how much did it cost to put that in it"? I'm sure everyone has had to explain that it came from the dealership like that as much as I have...
I get that a lot too. "That thing is stick?!?!?!?" I just say, "Yeah, that's the only reason I bought it"

I was just recently at a friends wedding and I had to drive my car in the vacinity of where everyone was waiting for their party bus. I had my cutouts open and my car got swarmed with people saying "Rev it, Rev it" "is this the one with the corvette motor in it?" I told them it has the V6 in it. Most of them believed it. Moral of the story, no one really knows what it is until you tell them.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It really throws them off when you've got corvette FRC's on it.
Old 06-09-2011, 12:57 PM
Launching!

^^^THIS!!!!
"How much did that grill cost?"
"It came like that!?"
"It's one of those auto-stick things you mean right?"
Old 06-09-2011, 02:14 PM
On The Tree

Believe it or not I always get asked if it has a v12, idk why but it has happened at least 4-5 times lol
Old 06-09-2011, 07:22 PM
On The Tree

Usually its me saying "its just the 400hp one".

Then again, 9/10 people who ask about my car don't know its a stick and are shocked when they figure it out and I tell them its the only way they come (it IS why I bought the car). Some ask if its RWD, then others don't know what the hell a V is. Which is actually something I knew going into buying the car and something that I do like. I have to have a V2 when I'm done with this one.
Old 06-09-2011, 07:52 PM
Staging Lane

I park inside the plant at my work so a ton of people see my car. A few people ask if it's the 556 hp one, but most just say "nice car"!

people are also VERY surprised when they find out it's a manual. anyone that goes for a ride, doesn't comment on it being "only" 400 hp.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

lol, yeah if they get a ride they realize "only" 400 hp in a 3,850 vehicle and nice gearing and handling is a lot more than they imagine from the advertisements and magazine shootouts, ha ha...

Funny (sad) thing with the weight, is that most cars now are close to or more than our cars and considering how long the car is, it really doesn't weight that much...One guy commented to me after I told him that it was like a 4-door vette (performance wise) then he was thinking it weighed like 4,500 lbs or something and had a typical caddy soft suspension...

I guess most people truly don't understand cars, other than hearsay and past experiences they had/hear about. I don't mind educating people, but it's the ones that have the attitude that I don't like talking with; but that goes for most any subject...not sure why some folks just have make an argument no matter what.

Just to be clear though, I do like the V2 a lot and maybe someday I'd get one if my life's ambitions coordinate with that at that time then (problem with being into 4x4 too and older cars), although there are so many other cars I'd like to experience too, not sure it'll ever happen or have the 'need', but ya never know...I'm perfectly content with what I have and chose to go that route more than not 'being able to', 'cause at the end, how much do you want to pay and for what is it you're really paying for?

A tugging thing for me is that I didn't buy it because it was a Cadillac and one thing I like about the V1 more than the V2 in that respect is it is less 'flashy', but yet still retains a solid look...

Last edited by JNR_Design; 06-09-2011 at 08:20 PM.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:51 PM
TECH Regular

I stopped worrying about the othe folks, and just started leaving the dyno sheet in the window... Left a lot less questions....

But if it's got a legit V emblem... I'd drive the hell out of it
Old 06-10-2011, 12:31 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Had a guy ask me if i bought a corvette and swapped drivetrains out of it two weeks ago. I was utterly speechless and i wish i wouldnt have been. I just kinda smiled and shook my head.
Old 06-10-2011, 07:09 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Domsz06
II love the lines and edges of the v2. Everyday when I walk to the car in my parking garage the lines all kind of blend together and just look sexy! But hey each to their own. I think the v1's are BA in their own right too. Heck pretty sure my bro's v1 will still beat me, for now
I won't lie, it certainly makes the CTS stand out, and the lines all do go together quite nice, but man, I'm always afraid to stare because I think one of those sharp points will poke my eye out

And about the vent, maybe it's just because honda's and things have been putting those stick-on vents on for a few years now lol Maybe that's why it "cheapens" it for me.

-meaty
Old 06-10-2011, 08:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JNR_Design
PS - the other morning, I wonder if the AMG CLS63 thought it was the new one or the "only 400 hp" one. I hope he knew it was the slower one, as it was a dead even match 0-70 or so when I let off.
Wow, that's impressive. Please share your your list of mods. The CLS63 is low a low 4 sec 0-60 car.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:52 AM
TECH Apprentice

I do get the "oh, it's only the 400hp one" occasionally. I was talking with a car guy at work and told him that I had run a 13.34@107 with mine. He said "I thought it would be faster. Even real car guys don't always know much about these cars.
Old 06-10-2011, 11:57 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by rocket2ya
Believe it or not I always get asked if it has a v12, idk why but it has happened at least 4-5 times lol
I wonder where people get this from to be honest. A few days ago I had one of the new guys at work tell me he didnt know Cadillac made any cars with a v12. When I told him it was only a v8 he seemed let down by it.
Old 06-10-2011, 12:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Gus_Mahn
I do get the "oh, it's only the 400hp one" occasionally. I was talking with a car guy at work and told him that I had run a 13.34@107 with mine. He said "I thought it would be faster. Even real car guys don't always know much about these cars.
Never mind it's a luxury car that was probably ahead of it's time in 04... and cost less than it's German competition. IMO I still like it's looks better than most current cars
Old 06-10-2011, 01:16 PM
Launching!

I prefer owning the "only 400hp" variant for the moment. Vettes, Cobras, and M5s still assume too much. I have been very AMG owner like lately though... I have been cracking the sunroof and waving as I walk on them.

Don't hate me please.

I easily and thoroughly walked a Roush 427R on the highway a couple weeks back. The guy had his girl in the car and still had a flappy tag from buying it. (Used obviously.) After my ahole wave move we slowed down and through their tint I could see them both trying to figure out wtf just happened. Second guessing that purchase now aye???

If anything the V2's being so highly marketed are making this more fun for me.

"Yeah... I mean... it's not near as fast as the new one." = Good view of the prettier rear-end.
Old 06-10-2011, 04:15 PM
Staging Lane

LOL You maggie'd guys are near (if not surpass) a stock V2 in performance so it's easy to bully around AMGs, Roush or GT500 Stangs... I was playing with a GT500 the other day and at the rate he was pulling I'm sure with a blower I'd have been even at least. Not sure if he was modded. AMGs for all their power are also heavy *****....

Quick Reply: Oh, it's only the 400 hp one