Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Wheel cleaner ruined my wheel paint WTF

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-2011, 07:05 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheel cleaner ruined my wheel paint WTF

Last week I took off the wheels and cleaned the 57K mile worth of brake dust off of the inside barrels. After doing this the wheels looked amazing. So yesterday, in an attempt to keep them clean, I used this wheel cleaner that I have never used before and it ruined the paint on my wheels. There is the whitish color spot stain on the inside of the spokes that looks like it took the paint right off. The cleaner I used was a cleaner that they use on a day to day basis here at the Cadillac dealership I work at. They say that they have never seen this before. The cleaner is called First Place Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner and after looking into it a bit I realized that is has acid in it. I did a search online and noticed there was a few people that have had this some problem with there V wheels.

Has anybody on here ran into this same problem/issue.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:40 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

No, but I have accidentally touched the inside with a very powerful brake caliper cleaner that took some of the powdercoat off. I prefer the general-purpose (2 in 1) Eagle One wheel cleaner that cleans rubber and wheels, but the ArmorAll stuff is a good second (and they're both cheap).
Old 06-22-2011, 07:54 PM
TECH Addict

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to be careful with any of the tire/wheel claeners that have acid and have that aweful burning smell to it. Theres a reason it cuts through brake dust so easy! Never use that stuff a a dusty or barely dirty wheel, thats only for the heavy stuff. Use regular car soap or even an APC if its a little dirter than normal. the acidic stuff should only be used when everything else doesnt work. Start with mild cleaner and go heavier as needed.
Old 06-22-2011, 07:57 PM
On The Tree

Usually I use the Eagle One stuff. I figured I would use the stuff here at work and thats what I get I guess for just winging it. This is all I have been thinking about since yesterday. Anyways I called my powdercoater and he said he could redo all 4 wheels for $160. The car is platinum and now I am just wondering if I should do the factory bright silver finish, gunmetal/comp grey, black, or chrome. Probaly just going to do the original color, I just hope they match correctly.
Old 06-22-2011, 08:12 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

pictures?
Old 06-22-2011, 09:12 PM
TECH Enthusiast

"Pro" stuff can be crazy harsh for places that value quantity over quality. If you use it on a hot wheel or let it sit, it can ruin stuff...

The OEM finish is absurdly weak, too. Post a picture, though, maybe it can be fixed.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Launching!

I've always used Meguiar's Hot Rims wheel cleaner, it works pretty well and doesn't seem too harsh on the finish. Used it on painted wheels as well as chrome.
Old 06-22-2011, 10:35 PM
TECH Resident

After you get 'em clean, that new(?) Armour-all wheel protector works pretty damn good at keeping all that brake dust at bay for a few extra days (or even weeks!).
Old 06-22-2011, 10:36 PM
On The Tree

I will post pics tomorrow. It doesn't look like it is fixable without having the wheels redone. The paint looks incredibly thin were the damage happened. I think the combination of the outside heat(95 degrees), the heavy duty wheel cleaner, powerwasher, and the thin OE paint is what did. Just my luck for trying to keep it clean. Usually I am the one who let's the wheels get brown with brake dust and never even mess with my car at work. The bright aide is that hopefully they will look better, clean easier, and be more durable once they are powdercoated rather than painted. GM actually had a TSB on this wheel paint issue but car had to be within factory warranty.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:16 PM
TECH Regular

Best thing u can use on your sensitive wheels is simple green. It will do an awesome job, and its easy on The finish.
Old 06-22-2011, 11:47 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by STAGEUP
Best thing u can use on your sensitive wheels is simple green. It will do an awesome job, and its easy on The finish.
I think I have the same stuff and yeah it works real good.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:30 AM
Staging Lane

sonax full effect wheel cleaner/
Old 06-23-2011, 11:04 AM
Launching!

Simple Green. I don't use anything else & it's worked for me for years with no side effects.
Old 06-24-2011, 12:51 AM
TECH Apprentice

Mia is correct. Sonax only product to use
Old 06-24-2011, 07:09 AM
TECH Resident

Doesn't simple green have a warning on the label that says not to use on painted surfaces? Maybe it's because I have the simple green 'max' bottle...
Old 06-24-2011, 11:15 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by madball
I am just wondering if I should do the factory bright silver finish, gunmetal/comp grey, black, or chrome. Probaly just going to do the original color, I just hope they match correctly.
Why worry about matching the factory color if you're painting all 4? From my understand, it's almost impossible to find common OTC touch-up paint matching the silver color the factory painted them. If I were to paint all 4 of mine, I'd try to find as close a match to the factory color as possible but is still fairly standard and is easy to find touch-up paint for in case of scratches or re-paint, etc.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:42 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Spray 9 FTW. I buy that crap by the gallon and use it for everything. Best **** on Earth.
Old 06-24-2011, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by egypt123
Why worry about matching the factory color if you're painting all 4? From my understand, it's almost impossible to find common OTC touch-up paint matching the silver color the factory painted them. If I were to paint all 4 of mine, I'd try to find as close a match to the factory color as possible but is still fairly standard and is easy to find touch-up paint for in case of scratches or re-paint, etc.
That's what I'm doing. Went and talked to the powder coater yesterday and he is going to do a few samples for me. I am also considering satin black or gunmetal. Now I am also considering doing the brake calipers bright red.
Old 06-24-2011, 05:25 PM
TECH Regular

Simple green Max is too strong for paint. Use regular simple green.
Old 06-24-2011, 06:20 PM
-M-

Originally Posted by STAGEUP
You must be daft...

Get a effective and safe cleaner, dont apply on wheels that are still hot from driving (same as washing a car in the sunlight) and dont let it sit.

OP: It sounds like that 57k miles worth of corroding brake dust caused just enough problems with the paint and allowed the cleaner to seep into places you didnt want it to.

Quick Reply: Wheel cleaner ruined my wheel paint WTF