Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

H/C CTS-V: Feels Slow

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2011, 04:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default H/C CTS-V: Feels Slow

Well here goes.

I have an 05 V

Mods:
232/240 .618/.624 114 cam
Patriot stage 2 heads
OBX Longtubes
X pipe
Muffler delete
B&M Shifter
K&N Intake

Car was street tuned, my buddy tunes for RPM. Still waiting to get on the dyno for a full tune.

However, the car feels SIGNIFICANTLY slower than my old cam only z28. I don't know what to do, I know there is a big weight difference. But, the car just feels like it barely moves. To me it feels no different than before the heads cam
Old 07-21-2011, 04:24 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I don't see a tune making a car feel like there's something majorly wrong. Are you sure the cam is in there right?
Old 07-21-2011, 08:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yeah, how was the cam degree'd when installed (ret/adv deg?)

Did you get this car already modified? It's kind of hard to tell on your description, but the way I read it is you picked up a modified V that got tuned, but feels a lot slower than your Z28 that had an upgraded cam...There is a lot of missing information and assumptions/subjectiveness is left to the reader, so can't answer your question as-is.

The car will feel slower sensation than an F-body apples to apples, but with those mods, considering they're done right and everything working properly, it should still feel faster, I would think. We have 3.73 gearing to compensate for the weight, but the build and tightness is where the sensation gets drowned out somewhat...
Old 07-21-2011, 08:29 PM
TECH Regular

LS6 with large cam and large heads results in lousy low and mid rpm torque. You'll have to rev hit higher, but it needs a dyno tune before you beat on it. How are you not being stopped by cops for what I see as a loud exhaust?
Old 07-21-2011, 08:59 PM
TECH Apprentice

A heads cam cts is slow. Unless you have well over 500 to the wheels, the car will still be pretty slow.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Funny how the definition of slow has transgressed...

btw - if you ever had to push a car, you can appreciate the work the engine is doing to propel these 'slow' cars so fast, hehe...
Old 07-21-2011, 09:20 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 98cobra
A heads cam cts is slow. Unless you have well over 500 to the wheels, the car will still be pretty slow.
I agree, any first gen V will be slow without a power adder, unless you go 427 and a badass heads/cam package. Even a 408 is gonna be slow. Only reason mine feels fairly quick is because of the nitrous. 510lb/ft at 3k rpm feels pretty good and helps to get it moving.

Hate to say it but a cam only f body is capable of high teens trap speed, your heads/cam V might go 115.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

I ran 119.99 trap speed in the fbody.

I bought my car stock, did all the work myself. There was no timing retard or advance. The tune is run with bumped up timing, my buddy tunes for RPM he did a full street tune.

IDK, just not as happy as I would have expected to be with the whip. I know it's 4000lbs, but thought it would have a little more to it
Old 07-22-2011, 01:53 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lubelizard
LS6 with large cam and large heads results in lousy low and mid rpm torque. You'll have to rev hit higher, but it needs a dyno tune before you beat on it. How are you not being stopped by cops for what I see as a loud exhaust?
I really haven't been bothered. Trust me, I drive very spirited too lol. Don't jinx me
Old 07-22-2011, 01:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by z28C4maro82z
I ran 119.99 trap speed in the fbody.

I bought my car stock, did all the work myself. There was no timing retard or advance. The tune is run with bumped up timing, my buddy tunes for RPM he did a full street tune.

IDK, just not as happy as I would have expected to be with the whip. I know it's 4000lbs, but thought it would have a little more to it
Throw a bottle on it and youll be satisfied. After I did the cam I knew for a fact doing heads/fast intake would be a complete waste of money, just jet it to 150 if i wanted more.

The 93 coupe i built/building is the reason why the V will get zero mods from now on, itll be a car with a ton of potential, hell with 400rwhp itll go easily 2 seconds faster and trap 5-10mph faster then the V on the bottle.
Old 07-22-2011, 02:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

I had a 5.0 I was going to lsx swap. Oh well, I'm sure once the clutch gets swapped out for the one in the trunk now I'm sure the SOTP feel will be a little greater and feel a little better revving quicker. We'll see, just not happy with it 100%. I know on the street tune it was tuned on the stock box and everything. Above 5500 rpms I'm not getting enough air so it's detuned a little I believe. So the cam really kicks in around 4200. We'll see maybe a fast, and now the K&N I have now will help. Other than a fast I probably wouldn't do much else.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:21 AM
TECH Addict

See what it makes after it's tuned. It is 100*F outside and that slows every LSx car down a good bit. If it's still not making good power, I would try a smaller cam on a tighter lsa, and a set of tea TFS heads.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:57 AM
TECH Fanatic

Yea, I know the heat but it;s felt like this since I was done the install. I think the clutch slips on hard shifts too because the rpms seems to float and drop so that may not help. We'll see in the end lol
Old 07-22-2011, 09:41 AM
TECH Resident

Try going from a whippled cobra to a v. Now that makes it feel slow.
Old 07-22-2011, 11:23 AM
TECH Addict

Well get that thing on the dyno and see what's up. I know my untuned H/C setups felt slow but that was only because it wasn't tuned. As long as something isn't mechanically wrong, I think it should make good power 440rwhp should be enough to trap 118+mph in cool fall air.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:15 PM
TECH Resident

Not to mention these cars have horrible transmission gearing. There isxa huge gap btw 3rd and 4th. All the newer German sedan are heavier but have great gearing. Most have 7 gears all of which are used for acceleration. The v has 5. I hate that gm markets most of their cars as 6 speed manuals. They are 5 speeds with overdrive. With a true 6 speed tranny it would be so much faster.
Old 07-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Staging Lane

not to start a fire but if your worried about ET's and trap sppeds in a V1 you but the worng car its a performance sedan that was build to make turns not to be launched at 4,000 rpms and ran wide open for a few short seconds yes you can take your v to the track and have some fun everyonce in awhile but it is not a weekend warrior people with M5's (what the V was designed to beat) dont drag race either drive it enjoy it let people be suprised by it on the street,go by a mullet car to drag race in....sorry i had that pent of after reading alot of posts recently
Old 07-22-2011, 01:24 PM
TECH Veteran

Big reg... Coming from a stock eaton cobra with upper and lower pulleys still makes the V feel turd slow lol
Old 07-22-2011, 07:44 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by big reg
Not to mention these cars have horrible transmission gearing. There isxa huge gap btw 3rd and 4th. All the newer German sedan are heavier but have great gearing. Most have 7 gears all of which are used for acceleration. The v has 5. I hate that gm markets most of their cars as 6 speed manuals. They are 5 speeds with overdrive. With a true 6 speed tranny it would be so much faster.
If you want to get technical, it's a 4-speed with two overdrives, or a true 6-speed manual transmission...I don't care how many gears the german cars have, 'cause each one of those would be $$$ to replace (and it'll happen) I've never had any issues with 3rd to 4th as far as gearing go, but between 4th and 5th there doesn't seem to be much change. Besides, we have a dual mass (heavy) flywheel, so I bet with a regular billet steel (screw alum. in a relatively low revving, relatively heavy car), it would feel so much different.

These cars are not drag racers and if you want something fast, build a BB turbo chevelle or something; you want something wicked fast and scary, build a 800 hp Cobra or Viper or on those lines

This car is a great daily driver that does everything well (for stock) and not much else on the market off-the-shelf that will do it like that and esp for a low price. Fast and Slow is a relative term and I don't care how fast it is, I wouldn't want to own half the supposed "fast" car platforms, that everybody else has done 10X, but that's me...I used to be into 'fast', but anymore, if it has the styling, chassis/suspension setup with good power and has the option to improve upon, good enough for me...

There's nowhere to safely excercise the car anyway, even here with open roads and high speed limits, but know the urge. Problem is, the stuff I see people do just to go 'fast' and the way they go about it (cause many of them are young, inexperienced, don't care, don't have the budget, whatever) is not cool when you consider there are other people on the roads and that thing you created was never intended to do that, let alone somebody check thru it, etc...Anyway, not trying to rant, but just saying that things need to be thought thru an there is a huge gap between the real cars that can handle the speed and motions and those that should be 10X more careful...

Still, I wouldn't mind having a supercharger and all that, but my money is better spent on something that will perform like crazy (power and hooking up)...I actually have more fun in my VR4 and while it puts out just a little more power than the V, it weighs 600 lbs. less, has really tall gearing and of course AWD, so when it goes, it goes...Almost scary Same thing with the 'velle, with 'only' 600 hp or so, it could be in the low 11' or high 10's with proper suspension, and sound better doing it too; I like these new age LS engines, but they don't compare in sound to the older stuff and especially the BB's...But, they don't sound bad either and nice to get power so easy, if you want to spend the $.

Last edited by JNR_Design; 07-22-2011 at 10:48 PM.
Old 07-22-2011, 08:46 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 06killerv
not to start a fire but if your worried about ET's and trap sppeds in a V1 you but the worng car its a performance sedan that was build to make turns not to be launched at 4,000 rpms and ran wide open for a few short seconds yes you can take your v to the track and have some fun everyonce in awhile but it is not a weekend warrior people with M5's (what the V was designed to beat) dont drag race either drive it enjoy it let people be suprised by it on the street,go by a mullet car to drag race in....sorry i had that pent of after reading alot of posts recently
1) the v1 raced in a series where you did standing starts, so it isnt odd to see a performance sedan having to launch itself.

2) the V isnt in the m5's class, might perform similar but they are different cars hitting different targets and buyers. but M5 people use the launch control on their vehicles to drag all the time. even the e39 m5 can be seen at the drag stip.

Quick Reply: H/C CTS-V: Feels Slow