Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Is a meth kit worth it?

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 11:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Is a meth kit worth it?

My car should be done in a day or two and im am looking into a water/meth kit for my car since I know our cars run hot, especially with a supercharger on them. I want to have it before summer

Is it worth the power gains?

Ive done some reading and ive heard of it making the supercharger coating flake off

what do you guys think?
Old 12-21-2011, 06:47 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You wont get much in power gains. It'll help with heat soak (I also recommend the thermistor mod) and give you a bit of insurance against knock with its higher octane.
Boost on the Maggie is like an on/off switch, so a progressive system wont help much. Save some money and get a simple kit that turns on at 3psi. You can control the amount of meth with nozzle size. I use my smaller nozzle at full pressure. This helps atomize the meth for better fueling with the added bonus of being easier on your rotors.

There is lots of info out there about meth. And you will here people talk about how a progressive system is so much better and you should go with a top-of-the-line $600 kit because this is what they read on the net. But for our application it's IMO, overkill. Alkycontrol is one of, if not the best kit out there. You wont go wrong if you go that rout, but your not hurting yourself by saving a little money on a simpler setup. In fact, I'm sure Julio can put together a simple kit for you without the expensive controller and you'll have quality at a discount.

However if your looking to squeeze out every last bit of power by maxing your timing and/or boost then we'll be having a completely different discussion.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think its needed with the Maggie as long as you don't try to over spin it. Leave the stock crank pulley size, stock Supercharger pulley. I ran mine several times in 90 degree heat on 20 minute track sessions 5 times a day all weekend and never had an issue. I never felt the car fall on it's face, and the instructor with me kept saying, "damn this car will pull out of the corners!"
Old 12-21-2011, 08:06 AM
TECH Apprentice

Give me about another week and I'll tell you. Haha

Really though I wouldn't have gotten one if I didn't think it was worth it. You can add timing through the IAT spark adder table. This, along with the thermistor mod Twitch talked about, allows you to pull and add timing based upon intake temps. If the meth fails it pulls timing and if its spraying it adds timing. Then you have the additional octane to help reduce knock as well.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:29 PM
TECH Fanatic

I did the termistor and broke.. Bought another one and it broke too.
Old 12-21-2011, 03:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I only use the meth to add a little timing and because I'm overdriven. I look at it as insurance
Old 12-21-2011, 05:35 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can make your own meth kit for $75 from a Grainger that will work just as well as anything on the market for our cars. Google it.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:15 PM
TECH Senior Member

Everything I have read involved spraying after the blower. Is that how you guys are setup. Im about to sell the V to go to an 03-04 cobra and have been looking into meth. They all say to spray post blower.

My brother loves his alkycontrol kit on his 87 grand national. 28psi on pump gas is the ****.
Old 12-21-2011, 06:51 PM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know how u can spray post blower on a 112. I have my nozzle in the intake 4in before the TB.
Old 12-21-2011, 08:47 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

You have to spry it ahead of the throttle body, before the supercharger. Have not heard of any detrimental effects on the rotors although no one has made any promises that they will not be damaged,
Old 12-21-2011, 09:36 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
I don't know how u can spray post blower on a 112. I have my nozzle in the intake 4in before the TB.
Drill and tap the manifold itself?
Old 12-21-2011, 10:04 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
You have to remember there is a HEX in the intake manifold just underneath the blower, unless you have an LSA or LS9. There is just no room to drill/tap in the intake and still have equal distribution. There was a pic of a Maggie 112 off the intake and all you see is core...hard to believe the thing even flows.

Your earlier post was correct though....meth is usually sprayed after the supercharger, but those are for centrifigals (Pro Charger, Vortech, Paxton, etc) where there is no intercooler and the meth is the chemical intercooler or used as an additional aid to an existing intercooler.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:32 PM
TECH Senior Member

Gotcha, must be a different setup on 03-04 cobras cause they all say tap after the blower.
Old 12-21-2011, 10:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

^ no more V for u eh? : /
Old 12-21-2011, 11:05 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by wcryan
^ no more V for u eh? : /
Not for long. Want something fast thats capable of putting the power down for once.
Old 12-22-2011, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by itsslow98
drilled and tapped the plastic maggie tube, right after the bend and just before the TB
Old 12-22-2011, 06:25 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by DMM
Have not heard of any detrimental effects on the rotors although no one has made any promises that they will not be damaged,
I want to say Blownchevy (previously with Magnuson) was quoted as saying it was fine. I further believe he was speaking "for" Magnuson when he said it.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

I cant see the meth, "as long as its mixed" causing any problems as all of the rotor drive components are sealed. The only wear would be on the rotor coating and thats not to big of a deal. I can have the rotors recoated for pretty cheap money and might do it just to do it once the blower comes off for heads and maintance.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:20 AM
Launching!

I've ran a maggied V on with a meth kit, and without. In my experience I'd prefer to have it on the car. I can definitely feel the difference when the car starts to heatsoak.

I think running straight methanol might lead to pretty high EGTs which *can* be undesireable.

Note to self: consider running straight methanol for turbo applications

Quick Reply: Is a meth kit worth it?