Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Finally got my 10-second slip after Stage II build

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 11:50 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Finally got my 10-second slip after Stage II build

Some of you may have seen my recent “Stage II” build thread; for those that haven’t, take a read here to see how the process was developed and the final decisions were made: http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...e-results.html

The build went off without a hitch and the boys at KDI were very helpful in getting me the parts quickly and working with my tuner, Johan at DiabloSports to get everything dialed-in and running safe.

I went to the track last Wednesday and ran consistent 11.2s but my trap was a little lower than I had expected (121-123). Granted, conditions weren’t ideal, but still, I felt the car was pulling some power up-top. I brought the car back to Johan and he made some tweaks/adjustments to the tune, backed off the timing a bit, and the car made the same power on the dyno. So, I was optimistic for my next jaunt to the track.

Last night was the night --- the weather was about as good as you can ask for in South Florida. Temps in the low 50s and a negative DA, with clear skies and little wind. If I was going to get my 10-second slip, it had to happen tonight. Now, of course with good weather comes lots of other cars at the track which we all know can be an issue because your car has to sit in the staging lanes and get hot. Also, several “break-downs” cause significant delays in the amount of running time at the track. Last night was no exception.

I get to the track early; meet up with some friends that are also there. As we’re sitting in line, a flatbed truck with a Bugatti Veyron heads towards the entrance of the track. Wow. A buzz filled the air as word spread of the ultimate supercar’s presence.

After “teching” in, I was in the staging lane and while they prepped the track the car got a chance to cool down for a little while. I dropped the pressure in the 18” MT’s to ~ 20 psi. I was ready.

First run, the car felt good --- I ran a 1.59 60’ time, my best ever. I looked up at the board and thought I had my 10, on my first run. This was gonna be a great night: I would get my 10 on my first run, then I could park the car and watch all the other awesome cars run. It didn’t pan out that way. God wanted to tease me with an 11.005. That’s right, 11.005.

I felt nauseous, but cautiously optimistic. I knew the temps and DA were dropping and that I “should” get my 10-second slip. But in racing you learn never to take things for granted. My next several runs, the car would hit the rev limited on the 2-3 shift, bogging for a split-second before shifting gears. That’s hesitation caused me a couple tenths on each run and I was running 11.2-11.3. I knew the car was making the power for 10s, and that if I could resolve the shifting issue, I’d be there.

I made a call to my tuner(s). It was suggested that I re-load the tune to get rid of the adaptives that were causing the shifting issues. I prayed it would work or I’d be going home with a handful of very low 11-second time slips and a bruised ego.

Next run, the car shifted fine and I ran another 11.0. Ughh --- so frustrating.

At least I knew I could reload the tune again and the car would shift properly. But, cars were breaking down and I didn’t know if I’d even get another chance to run. All I wanted was one more chance. I let the car sit for an hour, putting all my eggs in one basket. I decided I was only going to make one run, at the very end and either do it then, or not at all.

As the track was again shut down as an RX-7 crashed into the wall at the long end of the track, my chances were looking bleak. But, with about 10-minutes till close, the staging crew announced that there would be one more run. I hopped in line and prayed. I was able to hop to the front of the line due to some courtesy and lined-up against my brother’s GTR, which had always whooped my butt. (tune, downpipe).

I turned the car on; it was nice and cold. This was going to happen, I felt it. I did my burnout and lined-up at the lights. I’d placed my GoPro on my brother’s GTR. The lights ticked-off and I launched --- hard. The hardest ever. I glanced up at the board and flew by it with a 1.54 60’ time. I knew that if the car shifted, I’d got my 10. It did.

As we rounded the corner to the ticket booth, my brother in front, he grabbed his ticket. My heart was beating out of my chest with anticipation. My brother stuck his hand out the window and yelled “Good job!” I’d done it, finally.

But I didn’t just do it, I shattered the 10-second plateau. I ran a 10.75 at 127.85. I was in shock. Even more shocking --- I’d edged out my brother. I was on Cloud 9, errr, Cloud 10, and still am.

Here’s the run.

As an aside, I witnessed and was a part of something that will probably never again happen in my lifetime. The Bugatti was over at the road course making some laps. My brother, who isn’t shy, drove over there, tracked down the owner of the Bugatti, and talked cars with him for about 45-minutes. Somehow, he convinced the Bugatti owner to come over to the drag strip and run him. There were probably 10 GTRs at the track last night, several in the 9s, but he only ran my brother.

This is the first race at a public ¼ mile drag strip in the world that I’m aware of. It’s already all over the internet on almost every car forum. I was smart enough to stick my GoPro on my brother’s GTR before he raced the Veyron . . . that video is coming out shortly.
Old 12-29-2011, 11:57 AM
On The Tree

Congrats man, Cant wait to see the other video vs the Bugatti .
Old 12-29-2011, 01:43 PM
Launching!

Congrats! It's always nice when hard work finally pays off!

The Veyron vid is super cool - right place/right time. It's nice to see the owner was cool as well.
Old 12-29-2011, 03:23 PM
On The Tree

Here are some pics I took of the Bugatti

Old 12-29-2011, 04:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

while im glad for you getting into the 10's, seeing a veyron at a public track even is pretty serious and thats a high 9 sec car if it gets out of the hole a bit better.

Best post ive read on here in a while.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:12 PM
On The Tree

They Veyron wasn't even trying and ran the 10.1, with a passenger. I have no doubt that had he done a real "launch" he would have been in the 9s. The car was just amazing.
Old 12-29-2011, 04:29 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Great job Marsad. Time for a 100 shot now??

Congrats, car is hooking and booking.
Old 12-29-2011, 06:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Well done brother. Well done. Can't tell you how proud of this thing I am. It's such a fast, and relatively quiet car, it's unbelievable that it's that quick. So awesome. Wouldn't be possible though without a fantastic driver. Great 60!!! How's your brother in the AWD feel about that? lol.

Curious to weather or not he's ordered turbos for it today or something else maybe.

Again, congratulations pimpin...very happy for you. Thank you for the opportunity in helping you reach your goal. It's ment a lot to me to be a part of it. Thank you again.

Jamie
Old 12-30-2011, 10:03 AM
TECH Addict

Wow, congrats on the run! That's a great 60', stock converter right?
Old 12-30-2011, 10:17 AM
On The Tree

yeah. he has a stock convertor
Old 12-30-2011, 11:00 AM
TECH Apprentice

dayum govt work computer won't allow me to see pics of Veyron or watch youtube vidz... Sent this thread addy to my e-mail to check it out when i get home. Great run and good job bro!! I thought the 1.5 60' times where only for my STi...lol

Last edited by NOLAG05; 12-30-2011 at 11:05 AM.
Old 12-30-2011, 01:00 PM
Staging Lane

gave me the chills just reading this.....thats awesome bro..... i was showing my boy here at work the vid where u lauched the cts-v and all he could say was gotdamn he wanted to see it over and over....."it a beautifull thang" then he gose "1.5 60 that bookin it bro" he has a vette so i told him "yea bish cadillac builds rockets also".....love it bro..congrats
Old 12-30-2011, 01:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow man, congrats on the 10 sec run, amazing vid!
Old 12-30-2011, 08:18 PM
On The Tree

Here's a better video of the run

http://youtu.be/YCFwT2F0z8U?hd=1
Old 12-31-2011, 09:15 AM
On The Tree

This is pretty cool!

http://wot.motortrend.com/video-find...on-152175.html
Old 12-31-2011, 10:40 AM
Restricted User

Congrats, that is awesome. And thanks for taking the time to post all the pics and vids. Happy New Year.

Peter
Old 12-31-2011, 01:39 PM
Launching!

Awesome videos and shots! Good work on taking your brother's GT-R!
Old 12-31-2011, 01:55 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Internet Celeb you are turning out to be.
Old 12-31-2011, 04:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Nice MT article.
Old 01-01-2012, 08:53 PM
On The Tree

i never would have though it would turn out this big. nice job marsad.

Quick Reply: Finally got my 10-second slip after Stage II build