Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

No cats!

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 12:32 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default No cats!

Hey guys, just doing some experimenting before the turbo gets ordered...well today I decided to cut the cats off. (I know, with a turbo, exhaust setup wont matter as much), but I wanted to get your guys thoughts on no cats and debunking the backpressure myths. I am an engineering student and according to laws of matter, cutting the cats off wont change backpressure. But the car does feel a little more sluggish. So I have no cats, but I do have a pair of magnaflows. What is the general consensus on no cats and power loss on a naturally aspirated setup (to all the guys that have cut cats off or have a setup now without them on)?
Old 01-28-2012, 12:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

You may be an engineering student, but how do you explain removing a restriction (the cats) doesn't reduce backpressure?

It improves the flow, but also increases the "stink".
Old 01-28-2012, 01:03 PM
Teching In

I could write a novel on this. Im talking butt dyno. Wondering what everyones thoughts are that have done it.
Old 01-29-2012, 09:41 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RoidZ71
Hey guys, just doing some experimenting before the turbo gets ordered...well today I decided to cut the cats off. (I know, with a turbo, exhaust setup wont matter as much), but I wanted to get your guys thoughts on no cats and debunking the backpressure myths. I am an engineering student and according to laws of matter, cutting the cats off wont change backpressure. But the car does feel a little more sluggish. So I have no cats, but I do have a pair of magnaflows. What is the general consensus on no cats and power loss on a naturally aspirated setup (to all the guys that have cut cats off or have a setup now without them on)?
Really? All that air has to go somewhere. Thats why guys pick up like 30-40rwhp with a cutout over a catback when they go turbo.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:26 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Really? All that air has to go somewhere. Thats why guys pick up like 30-40rwhp with a cutout over a catback when they go turbo.

FIRST of all, this is not an answer to the actual question posted, dumba**.

Second, what I said THAT YOU DECIDED TO HIGHLIGHT is simply the physics of a turbocharger. Maybe something was misconstrued while you were reading my post-here is what I meant by EXHAUST SETUP WONT MATTER AS MUCH with a turbo: A turbo will run at best efficiency when the exhaust velocity is high before hitting the turbo. This means headers/primaries. The quicker exhaust velocity moves, the quicker a turbocharger spools up. Now, back to what I meant in the original post WHERE YOU HIGHLIGHTED MY WORDS. I meant, that after the turbocharger, exhaust setup will not matter as much. Still following me? Meaning that your "turbo-back" part of the exhaust, you want the least amount of restriction (backpressure) as possible. Exhaust setup will not matter IN REGARDS TO CATS, MUFFLERS, ETC because you want the least amount of restriction possible. Yes it matters, but it is not a difficult thing and doesn't require much thought or ideas from others-ALL YOU HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT IS REDUCING RESTRICTION. So yes, your reply on having a cutout is valid. However, you're insulting my intelligence by replying the way you did, because something was obviously misinterpreted and you didn't understand what I meant. Was it my fault by not making it clear what I meant by that sentence? Maybe. But I take it as an insult to my intelligence. All I asked was if anyone felt any difference without cats as much as I do.

Go kick some rocks, dude.

Last edited by RoidZ71; 01-29-2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Your a god damn rocket scientist I reckon. Awful cocky for being an engineering STUDENT. Im suprised with your extreme amount of knowledge and skill that you couldnt come up with some kind of mathematical equation to account for the exact amount of backpressure, yet you come on ls1tech to get our opinions. My opinion is you should probably stop taking steroids(username), and start doing more engineering research.

Cant wait to see your turbo build. As "intelligent" as you are that bastard should make like 1000rwhp on 4-5psi.
Old 01-29-2012, 10:52 PM
TECH Apprentice

Your a god damn rocket scientist I reckon. Awful cocky for being an engineering STUDENT. Im suprised with your extreme amount of knowledge and skill that you couldnt come up with some kind of mathematical equation to account for the exact amount of backpressure, yet you come on ls1tech to get our opinions. My opinion is you should probably stop taking steroids(username), and start doing more engineering research.

Cant wait to see your turbo build. As "intelligent" as you are that bastard should make like 1000rwhp on 4-5psi.
damn dude you are a true *******.. i like it! lol ima join UTI to be intelligent too! lol
Old 01-29-2012, 10:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by babrown18
damn dude you are a true *******.. i like it! lol ima join UTI to be intelligent too! lol
lol, i really didnt think my first reply was that bad and then roid rage came out and youd think i banged his girlfriend or something.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

This guy is all over the map.

True engineers usually don't use "butt dynos".

Remove the cats and you increase the flow, so hp increases.

I suggest reading about what a "tuned pipe" or expansion chamber exhaust will do for a motor.

How the exhaust gets dumped can really make a difference.

Good luck on a twin turbo setup.

The last guy that I read about building one only took about three years to get it done and it was a plumbing nightmare.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:34 AM
TECH Apprentice

lol, i really didnt think my first reply was that bad and then roid rage came out and youd think i banged his girlfriend or something.
im pretty sure you made him delete his profile or request a ban on your account lol..

find and buyers for the V? I gotta friend thats intrested if so down here at quantico
Old 01-30-2012, 12:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by babrown18
im pretty sure you made him delete his profile or request a ban on your account lol..

find and buyers for the V? I gotta friend thats intrested if so down here at quantico
lol, nope had a few tire kickers but nothing yet. Sold the mustang roller today. Im willing to work on the price if you know anyone interested.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we have another 6 post genius in the house. Let's give it up ~clap~ ~clap~ ~clap~
Old 01-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Teching In

1.) Rocket scientist is not even a proper term, by our standards. Try Aerospace Engineer.
2.) You're damn right I'm cocky. I write my posts and replies by using scripting in another application. Because I can. "Programming" if you will. Also, I have a CTS-V at a very very young age compared to you old farts. No help from anyone, just myself-for all you thinking you know me and start making deductions. You're damn right I'm cocky. Ever heard of Sharepoint or Yammer? I've assisted in building applications that you old bags use probably every day, without acknowledging the background of work involved.
3.) I will be paying for your retirement most likely.

You know, I asked a simple question on here in my original post. Someone just had to act like I don't know what I'm talking about, and hijacked the post to critique something that wasn't even relevant to the original question. And you know, I'm not positive if the turbo will be done even by the end of this year. I work 50 hours a week and take 20 hours of classes, so extra time is not always there.

I will be at LSx fest again this year, for anyone who decides to come out and introduce yourself, and maybe have a nice conversation about cars. Beech Bend is just right down the road.

I would never have gone off like I did if someone would've just voiced their experience with cutting cats off. I mean ****, isn't that the point of forums? Sharing knowledge instead of assuming that the poster has no idea what they're talking about? And to whoever chimed in to say "Another 6 post genius," I actually have more to do for my career than spend all of my time on forums. I also have not had my V for very long at all. I've worked my *** off since I was 14 to be able to own a V at the age that I am. Something that I am extremely proud of and I thought you guys would appreciate and understand. Make all of the hasty generalizations you'd like.

@P=split//,".URRUU\c8R";@d=split//,"\nrekcah xinU / lreP rehtona tsuJ";sub p{
@p{"r$p","u$p"}=(P,P);pipe"r$p","u$p";++$p;($q*=2) +=$f=!fork;map{$P=$P[$f^ord
($p{$_})&6];$p{$_}=/ ^$P/ix?$P:close$_}keys%p}p;p;p;p;p;map{$p{$_}=~/^[P.]/&&
close$_}%p;wait until$?;map{/^r/&&<$_>}%p;$_=$d[$q];sleep rand(2)if/\S/;print
Old 01-30-2012, 11:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

You show your arrogance with your dumbshit posturing and posting.

Yeah, you are gonna reinvent backpressure.

You got your answer about eliminating the cats, but being the great and humble engineer you are you should have figured that out.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:14 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I am an engineering student and according to laws of matter, cutting the cats off wont change backpressure. But the car does feel a little more sluggish.
What type of directional school did you go? And what laws matter to you?

1.) I write my posts and replies by using scripting in another application. Because I can. "Programming" if you will. Also, I have a CTS-V at a very very young age compared to you old farts.

@P=split//,".URRUU\c8R";@d=split//,"\nrekcah xinU / lreP rehtona tsuJ";sub p{
@p{"r$p","u$p"}=(P,P);pipe"r$p","u$p";++$p;($q*=2) +=$f=!fork;map{$P=$P[$f^ord
($p{$_})&6];$p{$_}=/ ^$P/ix?$P:close$_}keys%p}p;p;p;p;p;map{$p{$_}=~/^[P.]/&&
close$_}%p;wait until$?;map{/^r/&&<$_>}%p;$_=$d[$q];sleep rand(2)if/\S/;print

So, is the above an example of your programming? I'm sorry, you'll have to translate that for us OLD FARTS.

And unless you bought a brand new CTS-V cash, you really don't own the vehicle. The bank does.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

GODDDAMMIT.

I got sucked into another internet arguement. Good job internet troll.

Old 01-30-2012, 12:20 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by heavymetals
You show your arrogance with your dumbshit posturing and posting.

Yeah, you are gonna reinvent backpressure.

You got your answer about eliminating the cats, but being the great and humble engineer you are you should have figured that out.
Give arrogance, get arrogance.

Dumbshit? Not a word.

Internet hard ***...
Old 01-30-2012, 12:24 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by DrSpeed
What type of directional school did you go? And what laws matter to you?

So, is the above an example of your programming? I'm sorry, you'll have to translate that for us OLD FARTS.

And unless you bought a brand new CTS-V cash, you really don't own the vehicle. The bank does.
JB Speed School now.

Translated, its an obscure way to code the sentence "Just another Perl Hacker."

I own my V.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i OWNED my V at 22........ k thx

Attitudes get you nowhere on this site. Especially now telling these "old farts" how young you are. It makes for "old farts" not wanting to help "a young buck"; if you get what i'm saying.

I'll give you lessons if you need em. Ive never had a problem with anyone on this site. Even "itsslow"; and sometimes he can get cranky
Old 01-30-2012, 02:33 PM
Teching In

Congrats man. No sarcasm there. I'm not yet 22 but getting close. And I do own my V. Its only an 06.

There wouldn't have been any attitude if I could have received an honest opinion or two. I didnt ask the opinions of something in my post that wasn't relative to the ultimate question.

Thank you for your offer on lessons (no sarcasm), but ive been on a forum or two. I appreciate the concern/help.

I'm very easy to get along with. I'd love to come to a meet sometime other than LSx Fest to converse with other V owners, although its difficult to find the time, and there's not much going on near Bowling Green and western KY, other than vette meets. But back to the point, questions are asked to get opinions/answers relevant to the question.

Quick Reply: No cats!