Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

B&M shifter

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2013, 07:55 AM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

$50.00
Old 01-09-2013, 10:21 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

$50 cmonnnnnnnn
Old 01-09-2013, 10:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Wuzzy
I don't know that i would call the home depot bushings a "perfect fit" They are a great start but you need to trim the length of the smaller ID down, and sand the outside face to make them fit. I believe i also had to open up the ID a little to make the stock metal sleeve fit. If you have a dremel tool you can make most of the modifications, but realize you will have to cut and sand to fit. (Be careful when fitting as well, the outside lip of the transmission is just a cast aluminum piece that is relatively thin, there should not be any forcing it in (hence a good reason to have some spare spacers in-case you sand too far and it gets sloppy again)

Don't get me wrong, the modification is worth while, and not complicated, but i want you to know they don't just drop right in.

I doubt you can do it with the trans in the car, it would be a very tight fit. It may be possible, but i am not sure it would be a fun experience.
You can do it with the trans in the car. Drop the exhaust and drive-shaft, disconnect the tranny crossmember and lower the trans
Old 01-09-2013, 10:56 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Your shifter is super tight. I did all of the same mods you did and I still have a small amount of play but it's 100X better.
Originally Posted by CTSV_510
Replacing these bushings was one of the best things I've done to my V. I had a shop put them in while they were swapping the clutch and they didn't complain too much about getting the pvc ones to fit. I pre-cut them to length for them though. Everyone should be doing this.
Old 01-09-2013, 12:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
Your shifter is super tight. I did all of the same mods you did and I still have a small amount of play but it's 100X better.
I did everything but the JB weld and still have a fair amount of play. I'll have to check the carriage bolt and nut again.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:48 PM
CTS-V Shifter Sales

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by 98cobra
$50 cmonnnnnnnn
I am not supplementing my income or trying to gouge anyone with these. They cost me nearly that much to have my die shop make them. When it's all said and done, I walk away with about $10. It's really not worth my time.
Old 01-10-2013, 12:16 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by 98cobra
$50 cmonnnnnnnn
Originally Posted by 07CTS-V
I am not supplementing my income or trying to gouge anyone with these. They cost me nearly that much to have my die shop make them. When it's all said and done, I walk away with about $10. It's really not worth my time.
and they are awesome! Thank you for them sir!
Old 02-10-2013, 11:37 AM
Launching!

This thread is amazing. Combining everyone's contributions including Cadzilla's in-depth bushing research & photos along with 07CTS-V's (PISNUOFF) shifter & brass linkage bushings has lead to unbelievable results. I still can't believe I'm driving the same car.

Last edited by KamaSutra; 02-12-2013 at 11:06 PM.
Old 02-12-2013, 12:30 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Had the trans out last weekend. The JB weld had maintained it's integrity and 'fill' of the void, but the bond seemed to have let go around the outer edge. It was still tight clockwise/counterclockwise, but laterally there was a bit of play...so I just took it to an exhaust shop and paid them $10 to tap it 3 or 4 times. It's pretty solid now.

Old 04-22-2013, 02:57 PM
TECH Regular

summer vacation soon, can't wait to get all the slop out of my shifter
Old 04-22-2013, 03:17 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Cadzilla
Had the trans out last weekend. The JB weld had maintained it's integrity and 'fill' of the void, but the bond seemed to have let go around the outer edge. It was still tight clockwise/counterclockwise, but laterally there was a bit of play...so I just took it to an exhaust shop and paid them $10 to tap it 3 or 4 times. It's pretty solid now.

How much would you say this portion contributes to the overall slop? I have done every other slop mod on this list except for the JB weld and still have about 1.5 inches of side to side play. I'm wondering if this one part is really the key contributor to our slop.
Old 04-22-2013, 04:04 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Onefast V
How much would you say this portion contributes to the overall slop? I have done every other slop mod on this list except for the JB weld and still have about 1.5 inches of side to side play. I'm wondering if this one part is really the key contributor to our slop.
Alot. That pin moving 1/16th back and forth at the trans is better than 1/4" of slop at the handle.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:39 AM
TECH Regular

would anybody think shortening a b&m shifter by an inch would yield a noticeable shorter throw or is it not worth it ?
Old 04-23-2013, 10:19 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i cropped mine down to the "notch" and it seemed perfect. that was a long time ago but if i recall it was about 3/4 inch.

more recently i cropped off another 1/2 in or so, and it became a bit too tough for my liking. not unbearable, just over the threshold of what i considered perfect. i now have the **** situated a bit higher up to compensate.

i have a gto **** too which is heavier. any heavier **** makes a big difference vs stock esp with short shifters
Old 04-23-2013, 10:35 AM
TECH Regular

i would like to get a nice uuc shifter those things are supposed to be nice and heavy, one step at a time though i get out of school may 10th then im dropping the trans and doing those mods and ill probably cut an inch off .
Old 10-27-2013, 06:30 PM
TECH Resident

Anyone have any trouble getting the isolator cup bushing to fit over the shift selector ball end? My car is up on a lift and the trans is out of the car late on a sunday night and the mechanic says it doesn't appear to fit. The original Cadzilla install post mentioned a few taps from a hammer. Anyone else have to use force like that?

Old 10-27-2013, 07:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fweasel
Anyone have any trouble getting the isolator cup bushing to fit over the shift selector ball end? My car is up on a lift and the trans is out of the car late on a sunday night and the mechanic says it doesn't appear to fit. The original Cadzilla install post mentioned a few taps from a hammer. Anyone else have to use force like that?

[IMG]http://i1027.photobucket.com/albums/y332/memphisctsv/IMG_7184

I never had problem with my brass isolator cup fitting inside shifter.

I did cut the edges to fit inside the transmission.

Old 10-27-2013, 11:41 PM
TECH Resident

It fits, just needed more hammer. Drove home tonight, shifter is really tight left to right, won't come back to center on its own. Hoping once the cup wears in a little things will loosen up some.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:24 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by Fweasel
It fits, just needed more hammer. Drove home tonight, shifter is really tight left to right, won't come back to center on its own. Hoping once the cup wears in a little things will loosen up some.
the shifter not returning to center has nothing to do with that cup. You have something in the system that is too tight (torqued too high) that is doing that. Or your detent ball is completely worn out and needs a new spring.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:49 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
the shifter not returning to center has nothing to do with that cup. You have something in the system that is too tight (torqued too high) that is doing that. Or your detent ball is completely worn out and needs a new spring.
I'm starting to think that as well as nothing has loosened up with repeated movement. After having all shifter related bushings changed and the pivot pin welded to the selector shaft, the only two causes that I can see would be binding caused by the tack welded pivot or an overly tight pivot bolt at the bottom of the shifter. I don't recall anyone else who welded the pivot report back with travel issues. The shift stalk moves pretty smoothly in forward and reverse travel, but I feel like it may be requiring more force than before. I guess I'll try and get under the car tonight and back the nut off the pivot bolt half a turn.

Quick Reply: B&M shifter