Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

About to buy Whistler151's old V! What do u know about it???

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2012, 08:44 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default About to buy Whistler151's old V! What do u know about it???

Yup... looks like im about to be back in the game but with a ridiculously built 07 as opposed to my mostly stock 04 that i just sold.

07 V. Silver with grey/black interior on black wheels. Lots of good mods. 62k on body but motor was rebuilt by SNL (who did all the work on the car) 4k ago due to a spun bearing before whistler sold it. Big cam, full bolt ons, etc. Makes 450+ hp N/A. Guy who has it now has put 1500 miles on it in the 6 months hes owned it and is only selling it to get a car with an auto so his wife can drive it. Price is good on it considered all the work done to it IMO. Anyone know anything about it?

If i buy it, my only plans for it is to do the 8.8 rear end swap with the creative steel kit and throw a 150 shot on it. Rest is done the way i want it.

LMK fellas!! Just wanted to do a little research before i sign on it.

Last edited by NeverSatisfied02; 03-08-2012 at 09:41 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:16 AM
TECH Veteran

Looked up some old threads on his car and his sig says 420/418rwhp? Is that accurate or was that before some of the mods were added because i was told it makes 450hp but maybe the current owner is talking hp at the crank. Either way the car looks good and seems to have been built right with the reputation SNL has behind them.

Just wanted to know if there is anything i should be aware of or watch out for??
Old 03-08-2012, 09:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like you already got the skinny...
Welcome back BTW. It's been quiet without all the whoring.
Old 03-08-2012, 09:18 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

just pull up his profile and read all his threads and posts.. he had a badass car but you would prolly be best contacting him about it thru here or just reading.. he was good about sharing his progress
Old 03-08-2012, 09:23 AM
TECH Veteran

I got most of the info on it but wanted to be sure i didnt miss anything. Whoring will never quit. haha

I looked up his profile and read a bunch of stuff and looked at pics. Didnt see anything negative. Looks to be a nicely built car that was taken care of.

Just didnt want to overlook anything and get into a bucket of problems when i'm looking for a dependable and fun/quick daily.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:03 AM
TECH Regular

He's got a few videos posted too. Sweet car

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=QpKFWvowfnU
Old 03-08-2012, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

that car was super clean when he had it. highly documented online. did most of his mods through SNL in texas or somthing like that..

How many miles, how much?
Old 03-08-2012, 10:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

I started talking to him originally about buying his car before he had the 2 electrical wire problems & the spun bearing. If I hadn't gotten mine, I probably would've bought it after all those things were ironed out.

On top of it all, you know it'll do 142!
Old 03-08-2012, 10:22 AM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for posting the vids!

Car is an 07 with 62k on body (4k on new motor built by SNL with all documentation on the build and mods). Guy said he'd let me have it for $22k if i want it. I really would have liked to get another black/black V with nice mods but the silver/grey isnt bad either. Its different and i guess i could use a change. I was initially going to spring for a V2 or C6 z06 (which i can afford now) but considering i just finished school and started my career as of a few weeks ago, I thought it might be smart to stay in something cheaper/more affordable ($25k or less range) to save some money while still having something nice and fun to drive.

Other car im looking at is local and belongs to a buddy of mine. 05 silver V with grey/black interior also. 82k miles on it. Also nicely modded. Big cam, intake, OBX long tubes, full exhaust, built 8.8 in the rear with 4.10's and 1000hp axels, new stage 3 clutch, 150 shot, g-force tune, etc. Made 418 N/A and 550/553 on the gas. Car is clean overall but interior shows some wear and the front bumper cover has a small crack in it that needs to be repaired and painted. My buddy wants $17k for it but might take $16k. Biggest benefit to his is that the rear is already built and nitrous already installed which saves me about $4k. Not 100% sure which route to go. Really wanted something with lower miles but with the mods he has and power he makes, it almost better to go with the car with the solid rear.

Both cars are clean on carfax and haven't been wrecked.

Last edited by NeverSatisfied02; 03-08-2012 at 10:28 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:26 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by LAYGO
I started talking to him originally about buying his car before he had the 2 electrical wire problems & the spun bearing. If I hadn't gotten mine, I probably would've bought it after all those things were ironed out.

On top of it all, you know it'll do 142!
Haha! Yeah... thats been proven. lol I looked at his car back when it was initially posted but wasnt in the position to buy at the time.

Wonder if electrical issues are common on these cars when modded? My buddies 05 im looking at said his oil temp sensor goes kinda crazy bouncing from the usual 200-220 to 290-300 (back and forth) after driving it for a long period of time. Obviously its something electrical because the oil temp wouldn't jump like that in reality. Mechanically the car is sound but its got that quirk and he also said not too long ago, his interior lights dimmed way down and he didnt know why. It went back to normal and he never worried about it again but being my buddy, he tells me everything. Said he called around and a couple shops suggested he find and clean the ground wires on the car.

Not trying to jump on the first car i see. Just looking for a solid V with all the mods i want already on it and fairly low miles if possible. Dont really wanna mess with modding. I want to get in and turn the key and drive it. Ill prob make minor changes but nothing extreme. Wondering if i should just take my time and see what other cars i see pop up for sale. I'm also looking for a good deal (something priced realistically or on the low end considering the condition, mileage and mods).

Last edited by NeverSatisfied02; 03-08-2012 at 10:33 AM.
Old 03-08-2012, 10:42 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Haha! Yeah... thats been proven. lol I looked at his car back when it was initially posted but wasnt in the position to buy at the time.

Wonder if electrical issues are common on these cars when modded? My buddies 05 im looking at said his oil temp sensor goes kinda crazy bouncing from the usual 200-220 to 290-300 (back and forth) after driving it for a long period of time. Obviously its something electrical cause oil temp would jump like that. Mechanically the car is sound but its got that quirk and he also said not too long ago, his interior lights dimmed way down and he didnt know why. Went back to normal and he never worried about it again but being my buddy, he tells me everything. Said he called around and a couple shops suggested he find and clean the ground wires on the car.
Its the ground. Someone had put a washer on one of the ground bolts and ended up fixing it. Its documented on "the other forum". lol
Old 03-08-2012, 11:03 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by odthetruth
Its the ground. Someone had put a washer on one of the ground bolts and ended up fixing it. Its documented on "the other forum". lol
Ok good! Glad to hear it! Makes his car even more tempting although its prob not quite as clean being an 05 and has more miles than the 07, if i can get it for $16k, i don't see how i could lose. Its only had a few bottles through it and its tuned conservative so everything is still in good shape. Just seems like paying less money for a lot more power and a solid rear end might be the smarter route to go.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

Now that your back I can stop reading books.

I have your posts. : )

His car was clean. I'd snag it
Old 03-08-2012, 01:20 PM
TECH Resident

Your buddies car sounds like a pretty good deal
Old 03-08-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

i would snag the one with the built rear..that would be the most important factor to me... its really the only thing that TRULY sucks about this car.. pinion lash--- mushhhy driveline bushings..
Old 03-08-2012, 01:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

what do i know about whisler151's old V?

it has seats, and engine, a transmission, wheels, a driveshaft, and a windshield, at least.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:40 PM
TECH Veteran

Lol! You guys got jokes!? haha

I'm thinkin like you Shady and i think im gonna go with my buddies car. Talked to him today again and he said he'd take $16k for it now if i hurry up and get it. Homie hookup i guess u could say. lol Built rear is a big highlight not to mention it makes the same or slightly more power n/a and way more with the nitrous. Just seems smarter to pay less for the local car making more power with the bullet proof rear already in it.

Whistlers old car is sick no doubt but its a $6k difference in price, id have to travel to get it and his car would still need a built rear to make any substantial power over what it already makes. My buddies 05 just needs a nice set of heads and the wheels i want (19" staggered ccw's) and its done.

Last edited by NeverSatisfied02; 03-08-2012 at 01:46 PM.
Old 03-08-2012, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

I'll text him so he can help with any extra info...
Old 03-08-2012, 01:51 PM
TECH Addict

Glad your getting into another V never!
Old 03-08-2012, 01:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by adanieljohnson1
I'll text him so he can help with any extra info...
Thanks Aaron.

I PMd you with my cell. Give me a call man. I really want it to go to someone who will love and appreciate it. I was sad to hear the owner was selling it. i tried to make it work to buy it back but a 3rd car is not happening right now as we are building a house.

Last edited by whisler151; 03-08-2012 at 02:10 PM.

Quick Reply: About to buy Whistler151's old V! What do u know about it???