Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Perfect wheel dressing combo? I think so!

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2012, 01:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Perfect wheel dressing combo? I think so!

Brake dust repellent + Black Tire Coat!

I hate my dirty rims & I hate my dirty tires. I bought these tires used from NeverSatisified & they're a lil rough around the edges, but servicable until I get a whole new wheel setup. So, I was bored waiting on meeting someone that I was 30mins early for, I stopped into an Autozone. I browsed around & found this Black Tire Coat. When I washed my car & sprayed this, I was skeptical, but it's still glossy after two days!

YOU CAN SEE ME IN THE REFLECTION! The color change around 1oclock is relection as well, not a difference in gloss. If you look close, you can tell it'd the car door.

You can tell this isn't a black paint either because you can see thru it where the tire was marked with a grease pencil (you can kinda see some dust on the gloss):

I've always liked the wet tire look & this stuff keeps it looking wet for months (per the packaging), so we'll see. It's DRY TO THE TOUCH too! Easy to spray on, set it & forget it. But, with the Armor All brake dust repellent & this black tire coat? I think I'm set! The only downside I see is that if it gets hit with dust while still drying, that dust sticks. My back tires have a bunch of dust stuck on it, but it says to wait 3 days until fully cured to be most durable. I'll try wiping it down to see how it holds up.

I'm also ready for new wheels as these are in really good condition (ZERO rash), but the paint is flaking/cracking in the corners.

Last edited by LAYGO; 03-27-2012 at 02:50 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 01:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Pics or it never happened
Old 03-27-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lollygagger8
Pics or it never happened
I see 4 pictures posted . . .
Old 03-27-2012, 02:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

That's nuts.

Firefox (p.o.s.) only shows the two pics of the armor all stuff, But IE shows all four.

Allow me to retort!
Old 03-27-2012, 02:10 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by lollygagger8
That's nuts.

Firefox (p.o.s.) only shows the two pics of the armor all stuff, But IE shows all four.

Allow me to retort!
Firefox is *NOT* a POS. I am a web developer & think the opposite, can't STAND IE (glitches, poor standards support, makes crappy developers think they're good). Firefox is not w/o it's issues, but it's closer to being a better browser than IE is.

It might have something ELSE to do with permissions & google/picasa hosting than an issue with the browsers. Except, no one ever else has complained about me posting pictures from Picasa.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:14 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by LAYGO
Firefox is *NOT* a POS. I am a web developer & think the opposite, can't STAND IE (glitches, poor standards support, makes crappy developers think they're good). Firefox is not w/o it's issues, but it's closer to being a better browser than IE is.

It might have something ELSE to do with permissions & google/picasa hosting than an issue with the browsers. Except, no one ever else has complained about me posting pictures from Picasa.
Maybe it's cuz my work computer is maybe as a good as Colecovision running Windows NT with a dot matrix printer..........?
Old 03-27-2012, 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

I like how this turned from brake dust repellent and tire shine to Firefox vs IE...

NERDS!!!

I use Firefox...haha.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:44 PM
TECH Regular

The Wheel Protectant stuff works great...I use it on my Chromed Stock wheels. Sprays on clear, dries fairly fast and you good to go.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I use Armorall wheel protectant on both cars. Helps a lot with the dusty brembo pads.

Tires are a bit too glossy for my taste though.
Old 03-27-2012, 02:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by JD03Cobra
The Wheel Protectant stuff works great...I use it on my Chromed Stock wheels. Sprays on clear, dries fairly fast and you good to go.
So you don't do anything to the rubber?

I used this gel stuff that got thrown all over the side of the car, even after several hours drying. Then after a few days, the rubber was back to the dry look. With the Black Tire Coat, I don't have ANYTHING on the side of the car after 2.5 days and it remains shiny looking.

Goes on so easy too. Although, it did leave stuff on the driveway, I can tell where I sprayed, but I'm worried less about the concrete.
Old 03-27-2012, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Its been my experience that spraying tire dressing on the tire gets overspray on the wheels which attracts brake dust negating the wheel protectant. I spray the dressing on a foam applicator or brush and apply it to the tire like that. No spin off this way either.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:30 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Greed4Speed
Its been my experience that spraying tire dressing on the tire gets overspray on the wheels which attracts brake dust negating the wheel protectant. I spray the dressing on a foam applicator or brush and apply it to the tire like that. No spin off this way either.
I did the tire coat first, THEN the wheel protectant. I'll see after a few days how it's holding up though. It almost seems like this tire coat could be used for OTHER things too. It is kind of expensive: $13/can (pretty small), but doesn't need a lot, plus I got a $3 instant rebate when purchasing ($10).
Old 03-27-2012, 06:17 PM
Launching!

Pinnacle Black Onyx Tire Dressing straight-up OWNS every single other tire shine/dressing I've ever tried. There is ZERO sling-off regardless of how you apply, and you can tailor the application method to give you a high gloss finish or a rich matte finish. It lasts longer than any other dressing I've tried as well. On top of that it literally smells good enough to eat.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I might try the wheel protectant. Does it do a good job of keeping the dust off? As for tire shine I use Adam's VRT, its good stuff that gives it a deep black color but not super shiny like that. It doesn't sling off either.

Btw using Safari here haha.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Damn, they look very good!! Ill have to buy some. thanks for posting
Old 03-27-2012, 10:58 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They look good. I might have to buy some soon.

btw, I'm on Netscape Navigator.

LOL jk. Google Chrome.
Old 03-27-2012, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by greg_74
I might try the wheel protectant. Does it do a good job of keeping the dust off? As for tire shine I use Adam's VRT, its good stuff that gives it a deep black color but not super shiny like that. It doesn't sling off either.

Btw using Safari here haha.
I love the wheel protectant. Works great. Keeps the wheels free from dust until they get wet.

I'm liking the tire coat. I like the wet look & always wished my tires ALWAYS looked like that. Now it looks like it's possible!
Old 03-28-2012, 09:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

I used to tire shine my stuff all the time, but it makes the tires look alot smaller so I quit doing it
Old 03-28-2012, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

I don't know how, but I got some mud on the sidewall of one of the tires. I'll do a before and after photo.

Stuff is still shiny after 3.5 days. These are the Brakemotive brake pads, so I'm not sure how the wheel protectant works with that dust. Whatever I had on before though, it worked well. I peeked at the rims & noticed some brake dust specs. Brakes have barely been in for 300 miles though.
Old 03-28-2012, 12:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

um...... can you make me a website? haha

Quick Reply: Perfect wheel dressing combo? I think so!