Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Monster Stage 2 questions?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-2012, 12:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Monster Stage 2 questions?

I am getting ready to order a Monster stage 2 clutch kit for my 2005 CTS-V, & I was told that I have to order their "Premium Kit" which includes a "modified" C6 Vette slave cylinder. Monster is saying that the clutch kit will not work properly in a V without that certain slave & the part unfortunately adds another $195 to the total price. I already have a near new LS7 slave, & was hoping to re-use it. I have no problem buying their slave if it is absolutely necessary, but was just curious if anybody knew whether a factory LS7 slave works with a Monster clutch???

Last edited by EPIK; 04-09-2012 at 01:25 PM.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:16 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't know for sure, but Monster knows thier stuff. I would trust what they say.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:21 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 1BADCTS
I don't know for sure, but Monster knows thier stuff. I would trust what they say.
This is true. No disrespect to Monster, but I'm just trying to make sure they are not trying to sell me parts that I don't need because money is tight these days ya know... Just spent a ton of $$$ putting a new slave in a couple months ago because the old slave was leaking, but found out recently the LS7 pressure plate is most likely the issue with my cars clutch pedal issues...

What clutch are you running BTW?
Old 04-09-2012, 01:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

What the guys at Monster Told you is true. The clutch will always be either very easy to get in there, run into massive issue like mine did haha. But the guys at Monster did everything they could to make it a great clutch, and it is. I ran into some hydro issues with my install, and need it to be shimmed with a costom CNC shim. And since I was driving the car with the hydro issue, I fried a clutch plate. The guys at Monster stand behind there **** 100%, and will help you get the clutch set up right. My clutch was installed by SNL/Monster Clutch in April of 2011, and since I live 200 miles from their shop, I had to make 3 trips out there. But it was well worth it. Clutch feel just like stock.

I have a Level 2 Monster with 28lbs Flywheel in my V.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:38 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ColeGraham
What the guys at Monster Told you is true. The clutch will always be either very easy to get in there, run into massive issue like mine did haha. But the guys at Monster did everything they could to make it a great clutch, and it is. I ran into some hydro issues with my install, and need it to be shimmed with a costom CNC shim. And since I was driving the car with the hydro issue, I fried a clutch plate. The guys at Monster stand behind there **** 100%, and will help you get the clutch set up right. My clutch was installed by SNL/Monster Clutch in April of 2011, and since I live 200 miles from their shop, I had to make 3 trips out there. But it was well worth it. Clutch feel just like stock.

I have a Level 2 Monster with 28lbs Flywheel in my V.
Thanks a bunch for the honest reply...

I have no doubt that they make a quality product & trust their judgment, just needed some real world V customer info LOL...

So what hydraulic issues are you having, & what did you do to fix them, because my V has hydraulic issues too???

How is your clutch pedal in high RPM's with the monster clutch, because my LS7 clutch makes my clutch pedal go dead in the higher RPM's?
Old 04-09-2012, 01:46 PM
On The Tree

Oh boy, I won't go into my monster tirade but I do believe their slave is slightly longer than the ls7. I wish I'd taken pics when I was replacing my old monster.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:00 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ichpen
Oh boy, I won't go into my monster tirade but I do believe their slave is slightly longer than the ls7. I wish I'd taken pics when I was replacing my old monster.
I am interested in hearing the positives & negatives??? Check your PM's please
Old 04-09-2012, 02:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by EPIK
So what hydraulic issues are you having, & what did you do to fix them, because my V has hydraulic issues too???

Mine was an issues with the shimming. It was causing the clutch to not completely engage or disengage. When I went to depress the pedal, it would not grad until it was more then 50% depressed. Because of this, I could not get the car to go into reverse while the engine was running. The guys at SNL rebuilt the entire Hydrolic system and had a custom skim made to get the spacing right. After the complete clutch rebuild and the brake in time, the whole things feels extremely close to stock. The pedal is a little heavier then it was before. But its nothing that really make is difficult to DD. I have driven it through Downtown Dallas and Fort Worth rush hour traffic. With a lot of stop and go, quick shifting, and having to ride it every so often. That was the only real time that the "heavier" nature got to me, but that was after nearly 2 hours of all that ****. What helps with that is the heavier flywheel, versus the 18lbs one.

How is your clutch pedal in high RPM's with the monster clutch, because my LS7 clutch makes my clutch pedal go dead in the higher RPM's?

It feels great at high RPMs, it grabs with no issues what so ever. I have done several 6-3 shift at 50-60 MPH, and pulled through the top of 4th (and sometimes 5th), and the clutch handles that with ease. And for pulls, my normal shift point for 3-4 is ~6300 RPM, and 4-5 is about ~6100. The clutch handle all that no problem. I have even do a couple high RPM slips/"launches" at 1500-1800 RPM. And the clutch handles those perfectly fine as well.
See the Red...hope that helps.
Old 04-09-2012, 02:33 PM
On The Tree

See the Red...hope that helps.
Thanks... Those answers are definitely helpful info. I hope mine doesn't have the same issue with the shimming? I was definitely gonna run the billet steel Flywheel, not the aluminum one...
Old 04-09-2012, 02:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

From talking with the guys at SNL when all this was happening, mine was only 1 of 3 cars to have those kind of issues. The vast majority are pretty stright forward installs and do not have those kind of problems.
Old 04-09-2012, 03:40 PM
On The Tree

From talking with the guys at SNL when all this was happening, mine was only 1 of 3 cars to have those kind of issues. The vast majority are pretty stright forward installs and do not have those kind of problems.
Hopefully my car isn't the 4th LOL... Thanks again!!!
Old 04-09-2012, 03:41 PM
On The Tree

Anybody else with some insight?
Old 04-09-2012, 03:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

IIRC, none of the cars that had problems have been the 04-05...its just us Truck Motor owners...and I may even go as to far as to say that all 3 have been been 07s. I know for a fact 2 where 07s. But can't remember if the 3rd was an 06 or an 07.
Old 04-10-2012, 01:57 PM
On The Tree

Well, I just placed my order with Chris @ Tick for my new Monster Stage 2. I was told by Monster & Tick that I needed the "Premium Package" which includes the C6 slave that Monster says is modified to work with their clutch kits. I just hope it was ESSENTIAL to use their slave, because my car has a brand new OEM LS7 slave in it already, with only 2K miles on it & the part added $195 to the total. Once I get my clutch out at the end of the month, I will most likely have the OEM slave for sale if anybody is interested.

I can't wait to get this clutch in the car & see the difference again.
Old 04-10-2012, 02:11 PM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Monster

Wish I had seen this before...but the only mod that Monster makes to the Slave is to a add a very thin shim behind the throw bearing other than that it is the exact same slave. At least it was this way on my Monster level 4. I will try to get a pic of it
Old 04-10-2012, 02:58 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by slvrvee
Wish I had seen this before...but the only mod that Monster makes to the Slave is to a add a very thin shim behind the throw bearing other than that it is the exact same slave. At least it was this way on my Monster level 4. I will try to get a pic of it
Thanks for the reply... I can still cancel the order, or even send it back if I like. I figured that was the only difference & that it was just a way to get you to spend extra money on their slave.
Old 04-11-2012, 02:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I have the Monster Stage 3. It came with the modified slave. They milled a little bit off the back end of the slave IIRC. They know their ****, so you should trust them.

I had absolutely no probs with my install (besides hooking up reverse lockout solenoid backwards which is super fn easy to do)
Old 04-11-2012, 02:38 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Mine has been at SNL for 8 weeks now waiting for them to figure out why my shifter pops out of first gear. This is after they installed a new level 3, new factory shifter, and rebuilt the tranny.

Argh... I want my car back.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:00 AM
Teching In

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hey Epik
Here is a pic of the "modified" Monster slave. Its the same as stock, except for the shim.

Notice the gap

Quick Reply: Monster Stage 2 questions?