Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Corsa sport muffler design observation...

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2012, 11:21 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Corsa sport muffler design observation...

Hey fellas,
I bought some corsa sport mufflers and tips off craigslist that were cut from a gto catback (same mufflers as the V catback). I was inspecting them a few mins ago and they look really good. Clearly they have fairly low miles on them and the tips are in great shape.

Anyway... I dont know if anyone else has looked or noticed this but looking down the tip with a flashlight straight through the mufflers, they appear to have straight pipe welded almost all of the way through them. Looks like there is just a small section (2-3" or so) in the rear of the muffler that is not covered by the pipe running through the center. Obviously there is engineering behind this and the design works for great sound and drone cancellation but I found it surprising that they didn't have the usual baffle look to the inside of them as most mufflers do.

I know for a fact that this is how they come from Corsa. All of the welds are Corsa factory welds on the actual muffler cases, tips, etc.

Anyone else look at your corsa muffs and find this interesting? Seems like such a simple design for such a big price tag. I mean I'm sure there is a lot more going on inside the cases than we can see but it just surprised me to see that piping majority of the way down the middle of the muffler when I was checking them out.

Here's some quick pics i took...
Attached Thumbnails Corsa sport muffler design observation...-corsa-1.jpg   Corsa sport muffler design observation...-corsa-2.jpg   Corsa sport muffler design observation...-corsa-3.jpg  

Last edited by NeverSatisfied02; 05-05-2012 at 01:39 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:01 AM
On The Tree

Old 05-05-2012, 12:06 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^ there she issssssss
Old 05-05-2012, 12:06 AM
TECH Veteran

Interesting! Lol my first thought was someone modified them to be louder. Then after looking at the welds, it was obvious they came this way from corsa.

That's a cool pic though and makes complete sense to me now as to why it looks the way it does inside. It's def a unique design. I'm bored and reading up on them now. Kind of intrigued... Lol
Old 05-05-2012, 12:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

put and app in to corsa ; )
Old 05-05-2012, 12:16 AM
On The Tree

how much you pick up the gto corsa's if you don't mind me asking. i only have muff delete and im about to do res delete with magnaflow x pipe... i think i'll enjoy it just alittle louder but i eventually want to get rid of the drone.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:17 AM
TECH Veteran

Bahaha... Maybe I can work 1 day a month and enjoy an extreme discount on their products lol
Old 05-05-2012, 12:27 AM
TECH Veteran

My drone honestly wasn't too bad with stock manifolds, cats, x pipe and muffler delete. It has a really nice sound to it too. Only reason I changed from that setup was cause i wanted to add kooks headers and went catless so I welded some magnapacks in. That was on my old car. Current car has 1-7/8 headers, no cats, x-pipe and no mufflers. Cam sounds vicious at idle and it sounds good at WOT but it's just too loud driving it around like this. Was tied up between welding in borla stingers, GHL bullets, Corsa sport muffs or magnaflows when I found these with the tips. The guy was asking $500 for them and wasn't willing to negotiate on them. Still pretty fair considering the catback is $1400 and this is the essential part of the whole exhaust. I already have the mag X pipe anyway. Turns out the guy needed some fuel rails along with a Casper harness for a TB conversion he was doing on his new intake and I had both in the garage. We worked out a partial trade/cash deal so it worked out pretty good for both of us.

Last edited by NeverSatisfied02; 05-05-2012 at 01:07 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:39 AM
On The Tree

cool im hoping i can find some for that price as well. theres no way im paying over $1k for the entire system especially when a muff delete sounds as good as it does.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

our resanators already have an xpipe through them. Just a heads up
Old 05-05-2012, 12:59 AM
TECH Veteran

I hear ya. My guess would be that not many people cut up a high dollar catback though (I know i wouldn't) so i think i got pretty lucky finding these. I was in the same boat as u though. I wasn't going to spend a ridiculous amount for an exhaust and had honestly knocked the corsa off the list due to price until these popped up. I had my cap set at $500 which was actually more than i wanted to spend for mufflers alone but i was willing to spend that if needed. For $500 or less, i could have bought the GHL bullets ($450 new), borla stingers ($340 new) or magnaflows ($250 new) and had them welded in for just a little more but that still doesn't include tips. I was looking for a used complete Corsa or Magnaflow catback for a few weeks but no one is selling used aftermarket catbacks right now. I knew i could prob get a used magnaflow catback complete for $400 or so (if i could find one for sale) considering you can find em brand new online for around $600-$650 from time to time.

Anyway, I'm not 100% on using these Corsa mufflers just yet so ill let you know if i decide not to use them. The sound of the Corsa is a love/hate thing and i'm undecided on it. I love that the drone is non existent which is the biggest attraction for me. The sound is vicious and crisp but its just a little higher pitched than i generally like my exhausts to be and I'm hoping with the rest of my exhaust being as open as it is that it wont make it even higher pitched or more raspy than usual. For that reason, i'm almost tempted to run a magnaflow or something instead that i know will have the slightly deeper tone i'm used to and get cutouts installed in the near future.

And yeah... the stock resonator has an X-pipe in it but by going with the magnaflow X, you can ditch the resonator part of it.

Last edited by NeverSatisfied02; 05-05-2012 at 01:28 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:07 AM
TECH Fanatic

buying a new x-pipe to take place of the resonator xpipe sounds like a waste to me
Old 05-05-2012, 01:09 AM
TECH Veteran

Both of my cars already had magnaflow X-pipes on them when i bought them so it wasn't any money out of my pocket.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:20 AM
On The Tree

Yeah definitely let me know if you change your mind on your corsas. Thanks.
Old 05-05-2012, 01:25 AM
TECH Veteran

Will do bud!

Added pics of the mufflers...

Last edited by NeverSatisfied02; 05-05-2012 at 01:54 AM.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:04 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, all that sound cancellation adds up to one heavy muffler.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
Yeah, all that sound cancellation adds up to one heavy muffler.
Compared to like a Flowmaster, the Corsa is pretty heavy. Compared to a stainless steel glasspacked muffler like a Magnaflow, I don't think they are particularly heavy.
Old 05-05-2012, 08:45 AM
TECH Veteran

Yeah... That was the other thing. They surprised me when I picked em up. Didn't expect them to weigh so much. Lol they feel a little heavier than the magnaflow mufflers I had on my old catback.

Quick Reply: Corsa sport muffler design observation...