Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Swapping a LSx into a CTS with a v6; has it been done?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2012, 06:26 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Swapping a LSx into a CTS with a v6; has it been done?

I am throwing around the idea of picking up a CTS on the cheap and putting a T-56, L/Q4/Q9/M7/33, etc. in it. Given that most GM vehicles are a breeze to swap things in--especially due to the similarities the platforms have, I am hoping the CTS is similar.

Unfortunately, unlike a good majority of GM's vehicles, I'm not seeing any real build threads or similar where somebody has tried it.

Can it be done (within reason), or would I be wasting my time?
Old 05-11-2012, 06:50 PM
TECH Resident

The following is my opinion...

For the amount of time it'll take for a swap, you'd be much better off starting at a V. Better base suspension, all wiring, harnesses, all accessories will most likely directly bolt to another LS.

An LQ4 swap, which stock makes 300hp?
Unless this was some full on race build, where all you'd really keep in the end is the frame... I don't see this being worth the time. You can recoup money by selling an LS6 or LS2, etc... You won't be recouping much with those V6s.

If you were talking built LS7 or something crazy, then I could even semi-see why you'd go that route, but even then... I'd say the V would be better to start at.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Waste of time.

Get an "F" body and go ape ****.

Those are real cheap.
The following users liked this post:
fucter (01-22-2021)
Old 05-11-2012, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

You can get a used or blown up V cheap also.
Old 05-11-2012, 08:52 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by odthetruth
The following is my opinion...

For the amount of time it'll take for a swap, you'd be much better off starting at a V. Better base suspension, all wiring, harnesses, all accessories will most likely directly bolt to another LS.

An LQ4 swap, which stock makes 300hp?
Unless this was some full on race build, where all you'd really keep in the end is the frame... I don't see this being worth the time. You can recoup money by selling an LS6 or LS2, etc... You won't be recouping much with those V6s.

If you were talking built LS7 or something crazy, then I could even semi-see why you'd go that route, but even then... I'd say the V would be better to start at.
Yup.

Originally Posted by heavymetals
Waste of time.

Get an "F" body and go ape ****.

Those are real cheap.
This too....

Originally Posted by heavymetals
You can get a used or blown up V cheap also.
And yes to this also...there is a pristine 2004 CTS-V on CL with a blown motor in my area...guys asking $12k but i'm sure you can get it for cheaper. With the amount of kids buying these things with no money to fix a blown motor, you should see these things popping up more often. Nothing is the same between the V and a regular CTS...cross-member, suspension, brakes, pedals, electrical...its just not worth it.
Old 05-11-2012, 09:27 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

IF you were to do it, I would do a Carb'd Ls engine and a straight axle rearend and drag that mother!!!!!

Like everyone else said, start with V.
Old 05-12-2012, 10:15 PM
TECH Fanatic

If he is dropping a motor and trans into a car why start with a V? a base v6 cts can be had for nothing and the motor pulled easily. Find an engine and engine harness along with the t56 and prob do it all for a fraction of what a high mileage V1 would cost.

the extra money saved could be used to replace the rear and enjoy it
Old 05-12-2012, 10:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
If he is dropping a motor and trans into a car why start with a V? a base v6 cts can be had for nothing and the motor pulled easily. Find an engine and engine harness along with the t56 and prob do it all for a fraction of what a high mileage V1 would cost.

the extra money saved could be used to replace the rear and enjoy it
No offense dude, but
Old 05-12-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Waste of time... Plain and simple
Old 05-12-2012, 11:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by BudRacing
No offense dude, but
none taken, but if he is for some reason a cts fan and isnt looking for the handling aspect of the V.... not sure what is so hard in dropping a motor into a car. people drop GM motors into all sorts of random vehicles.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:46 PM
TECH Resident

This is true I had a friend drop in a 5.3l Chevy v8 into a grand Cherokee..
Old 05-13-2012, 12:12 AM
TECH Fanatic

ive helped people drop them into 240's.....

We could try to be helpful to this guy so he can decide to do this or not. We could prob learn something from it.
I think you would need the following:
1) Engine and trans
2) engine harness
3) maybe from cradle from a junk yard for a cts-v
4) maybe a different radiator and many hoses and etc minor things.

You might have to be ok with various things not working in the vehicle cluster, and most you check engine lights can be turned off with hp tuners.

I honestly have never under the hood of a base cts. I would also get the most absurd motor you can afford. ls3/ls7 with a cam would make this well worth it. Maybye even a ls6 could be fine if you are willing to be ok with having to tinker a bit to make it work cleanly.
Old 05-13-2012, 07:57 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The point is that he wants to rop a V engine into a Non-V CTS and we are all saying that it would probably be cheaper and less of a pain to JUST buy V.

WE are not saying that it cannot be done at all, but again.......why?

If he is going purely drag, then my formula would be best.

IF he is looking for a cheap V, then look for that.

PLUS the CTS diff is WAY more fragile than the V version and I think this is the #1 reason not to do it.
Old 05-13-2012, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by 54inches
IF you were to do it, I would do a Carb'd Ls engine and a straight axle rearend and drag that mother!!!!!

Like everyone else said, start with V.
Couldn't agree more!

And also, for some it's the fun of tearing **** apart and building something unique. A lightweight, carb'd LSX 4dr drag car would kick ***!
Old 05-13-2012, 11:55 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
ive helped people drop them into 240's.....

We could try to be helpful to this guy so he can decide to do this or not. We could prob learn something from it.
I think you would need the following:
1) Engine and trans
2) engine harness
3) maybe from cradle from a junk yard for a cts-v
4) maybe a different radiator and many hoses and etc minor things.

You might have to be ok with various things not working in the vehicle cluster, and most you check engine lights can be turned off with hp tuners.

I honestly have never under the hood of a base cts. I would also get the most absurd motor you can afford. ls3/ls7 with a cam would make this well worth it. Maybye even a ls6 could be fine if you are willing to be ok with having to tinker a bit to make it work cleanly.

engine supports are different, if you get an auto which you most likely will since manuals are only 5% of them, you would have to rip that shifter out as well and do something magical to the interior center console, radiators are dif you are right. Rear dif is different... not getting into the suspension or brakes but that has nothing to do with the swap.

PS I have a mostly stripped cts base sitting around if you need some sort of pics for assistance I got them. Oh and the guy that sold me the base prior to me stripping it said he bought it to attempt what you are trying to do but changed his mind. Granted the dude owns a towing company and a hydraulic lift in his garage, as well as a 10sec truck. For him to back out tells me there is a bit more involved here than we think
Old 05-13-2012, 12:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Some people do a project just to prove that it can be done.

Why someone would want to make a CTS into a V (besides the body molding and clips) sounds kinda pointless considering used ones are around of both types (v1 & v2).

The OP asked if anyone had done it yet.

Sounds like someone tried and gave up.

If you want to drop a big rat motor V8 into a car, I suggest starting with a car a V8 came out of.

If you want a long term project, you picked one.
Old 05-13-2012, 12:59 PM
On The Tree

The OP would also need the V front fascia. The standard CTS fascia won't allow enough airflow for cooling. If you compare the 2, the V is opened up a lot more. Unfortunately this is another factor where starting with a V makes more sense.
Old 05-13-2012, 01:48 PM
TECH Veteran

This is not even worth discussing. Turning a cts into a V would require electrical (wiring harness), complete drivetrain (motor, trans, rear), suspension, complete interior as well as exterior (facias, side skirts), paint to make it all match and look good, etc. Not worth the time or money spent doing it.

However, if someone wants to waste their time doing it to "prove it can be done", knock yourself out and enjoy paying way more for a fake V than you would pay just buying a real one to begin with.

If price is an issue, I would find a CLEAR TITLE V with super high miles. A running and driving high mile V can be had for $12k or less if u look hard enough. Even a V with a blown motor would be much more worth while than a cts to cts-v conversion.
Old 05-13-2012, 02:17 PM
TECH Resident

Is it doable? Yes is it worth it, no. Save your time and money and get a v. Or get a s14 and swap in a ls2. Me and a buddy did that on a s13 and it was ls2 with auto transmission from a gto. Rolling off the line he runs 11.1 so if you want a scary fast car that's the way to go. Especially if you go fi
Old 05-13-2012, 03:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

The OP never mentioned anything about making a cts into a V. just dropping a v8 into a cts chassis. nothing about him wanting to make a fake v or what ever that means.

as people who like modifying stuff, heck as people who like to mod a V1 we should should never ask someone why they wish to do something. just not get in their way and let them try. I just dont understand what is provoking such an emotional response from people about him asking about this.

Quick Reply: Swapping a LSx into a CTS with a v6; has it been done?