Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

test drove a bunch of new cars..and they don't compare to my V1

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 10:43 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default test drove a bunch of new cars..and they don't compare to my V1

As the title states, i test drove some new sportscars over the past couple of weeks, all 2012 models... trying to stay under $35k

Camaro 1SS- had great gearing, looks great, has the heavy GM steering feel that i love...but had terrble blind spots, doors would be a pita just like the f-and the interior felt cheap for the price

Mustang GT- looked great, handled really well, cool interior. However, the power felt like it was turbocharged...not much under 3k rpm, then bang!! tons of power. The driving position was extremely akward, and even with all the drastic advances over the past couple of years...it still was a mustang (if you know what i mean).

Subaru WRX- Very comfortable and practical daily driver..and i could even see myself driving it daily. Power was substantial, and loved the awd. However, the shifter felt knotchy, the radio was down right terrible, and it even had a hunting idle. The car just felt...super cheap. Plus the highway cruising rpm was very high, and exhaust was too loud for a factory car, and i felt like the brakes sucked.

c6 corvette- really enjoyed the car, but too impractical for daily driving, with the super low ground clearance, especially here where i live (crap roads and 4 seasons)

I would still like to drive a 370z.

But after all the test drives, i just don't think the quality, performance, or practicality of any of the cars would justify me spending and additional $15k-$20k ontop of my V1 trade in value.

Discuss!
Old 06-01-2012, 11:06 PM
Launching!

I hear you man. There isn't a car out right now that I want over my V1. A V2 maybe, but much too pricey at the moment.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:58 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I thought about getting rid of mine.

The car I wanted would have been an additional $90-100k on top of whatever I got for my V.

Decided to throw more mods at the V.

It is a great hot rod and a modders wet dream.

I have put more in mods then the cars trade in value, but I didn't buy it as in investment.

When I get some software squid to help me hack the class II radio stuff, look out.

Last edited by heavymetals; 06-02-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:36 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Totally agree. When I decided to trade my Magnum R/T in I test drove a 2SS & a GT. I thought it sad that I ended up picking a 7 year old car over a new one.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:36 AM
Captain Double Post

Yeah i felt the same way after my test drive in the 5.0 and 5thi gen ss, i liked the 5.0 better but not enough to justify buying a brand new car, op you have them both spot on as i felt the same way, you really cant beat what you got
Old 06-02-2012, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Most people think my car is new because of how clean I keep it... so I might as well pretend it's new hehe... but yea I can't think of what I'd replace mine with except a V2 which is still outta my reach. With so much to do to this car I may actually keep it for a while
Old 06-02-2012, 11:27 AM
On The Tree

When I tell people my car is an 04 they are always blown away. I love the V
Old 06-02-2012, 01:42 PM
TECH Veteran

I love the V... Hence why this is my second V1. Lol only replacement that would be just as fun and practical is the V2 but I'm waiting for the price to come down some more before I jump into one of those
Old 06-02-2012, 02:56 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I was cross shopping the Camaro when i bought my V, and had the same complaints (and there was no 5.0 mustang yet)

It sounds like in 2014 there will be a new mustang and camaro, that might be worth just enjoying the v until then to see what they do. I'm holding out for an ATS-V with a LS something, but add a few years for a used one...
Old 06-02-2012, 11:13 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Fuzzy_Wuzzy
I'm holding out for an ATS-V with a LS something, but add a few years for a used one...
^^THIS!!!
Old 06-03-2012, 06:53 AM
TECH Apprentice

did you do a reg WRX? or was it an STI? You may look at the STI if not, I had one of those before the V, and now that I have modded the V a bit more, I am thinking of picking one up just for DD purposes. They are fun to drive, comfortable, and the shifter is a lot better than the WRX, like TONS. The only thing that sucks is like you said the high RPM at highway. I think going 80 I was just under 3k RPM's but they are also AWD so getting around in snow/ice is a lot easier with it.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:10 AM
TECH Resident

These cars are hard to beat once you get them modded and dialed in correctly. For the money i spent buying mine, and getting it to the point where it is now I am still way under the price of anything new that is comparable, and as stated earlier in this thread people still think it's a new car. As long as your willing to put in a little money and some wrench time these cars are awesome. Maybe one day I'll save up for a GForce 9inch.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:31 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hatched91
As the title states, i test drove some new sportscars over the past couple of weeks, all 2012 models... trying to stay under $35k

Camaro 1SS- had great gearing, looks great, has the heavy GM steering feel that i love...but had terrble blind spots, doors would be a pita just like the f-and the interior felt cheap for the price

Mustang GT- looked great, handled really well, cool interior. However, the power felt like it was turbocharged...not much under 3k rpm, then bang!! tons of power. The driving position was extremely akward, and even with all the drastic advances over the past couple of years...it still was a mustang (if you know what i mean).

Subaru WRX- Very comfortable and practical daily driver..and i could even see myself driving it daily. Power was substantial, and loved the awd. However, the shifter felt knotchy, the radio was down right terrible, and it even had a hunting idle. The car just felt...super cheap. Plus the highway cruising rpm was very high, and exhaust was too loud for a factory car, and i felt like the brakes sucked.

c6 corvette- really enjoyed the car, but too impractical for daily driving, with the super low ground clearance, especially here where i live (crap roads and 4 seasons)

I would still like to drive a 370z.

But after all the test drives, i just don't think the quality, performance, or practicality of any of the cars would justify me spending and additional $15k-$20k ontop of my V1 trade in value.

Discuss!
I had the same complaints about the Camaro SS. The windshield was like looking outside between 2 venetian blinds. Not enough of a view, which felt awkward.
Old 06-03-2012, 06:59 PM
Launching!

The V2 fixed so much of what didn't last in the V1. But I miss my V1 and still think I'll buy another '04 down the road for fun...
Old 06-03-2012, 10:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ITSAV
did you do a reg WRX? or was it an STI? You may look at the STI if not, I had one of those before the V, and now that I have modded the V a bit more, I am thinking of picking one up just for DD purposes. They are fun to drive, comfortable, and the shifter is a lot better than the WRX, like TONS. The only thing that sucks is like you said the high RPM at highway. I think going 80 I was just under 3k RPM's but they are also AWD so getting around in snow/ice is a lot easier with it.
My prior car to the v1 was an 04 sti, wrb on goldies. I LOVED that car..more than any other car i've owned. The only roads with twisties (within reasonable driving distance) are crappy, and we have nasty winters, and it rains nearly 1/3 of the time. So as you can image, the STi was a perfect car.... Except mine was a pile of crap.

It had the most ridiculous problems, it would lean out to 15% fuel trim and start bucking when at constant throttle...no CEL, passed all tests with flying colors, and completely stock. (You can PM me if you want to know more about it. )

So needless to say, my faith in subaru is pretty much non-existent. However, if I do end up relocating any farther up north, buying a subie is a must..even if it's a crappy old non-turbo winter driver, such as an older impreza.

Originally Posted by thebigjimsho
The V2 fixed so much of what didn't last in the V1. But I miss my V1 and still think I'll buy another '04 down the road for fun...
I've talked to other V2 owners, who said the same thing. They miss the "raw" feel of the V1. Unfortunately, as a recent college grad, a V2 is not in my finances at the moment haha.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

the t6060 i drove the first time i was in a 5th gen really let me know how much gm has progressed when it comes to chassis and drivetrain components. Being decently tall i have a hard time sitting in the 5th gen and also in my V so i get the same blind spot c pillar feeling in both vehicles.

The interior of the 5th gen wasnt my liking for a 2011 vehicle but i felt it was on par with my V.
Old 06-04-2012, 08:29 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Not a lot of options.

We just bought an 09 WRX for the wife. There are things I love about it. But there are several things that really feel like an economy car with a turbo. When it boils down to driving fun the V is more comfortable, is faster at any speed, and on dry pavement the V turns in and holds corners better at speeds.

The only thing bugging me now is I want more power. Someone needs to sell me a maggie cheap.

I want to look at an AMG c63 but at nearly 2x the price of a v2 that is pretty much out too.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

how is a c63 2x the price of a v2?
Old 06-05-2012, 02:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Gabbiani
I want to look at an AMG c63 but at nearly 2x the price of a v2 that is pretty much out too.
Originally Posted by liqidvenom
how is a c63 2x the price of a v2?
Yeah, a 2009 C63 is on average several thousand dollars less than a similarly equipped 2009 CTS-V.

Hell, the 2012 C63 starts at $58k and the 2012 CTS-V starts at $64k.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by whisler151
Yeah, a 2009 C63 is on average several thousand dollars less than a similarly equipped 2009 CTS-V.

Hell, the 2012 C63 starts at $58k and the 2012 CTS-V starts at $64k.
I would talk to someone who has one.

A 2013 AMG C63 is about $125k.

2013 Mercedes-Benz C63 AMG Coupe Black Series
BASE PRICE $125,000 (est)
DRIVETRAIN Front-engine, RWD, 2-pass, 2-door coupe
ENGINE 6.2-liter/510-hp/457-lb-ft DOHC 32-valve V-8
TRANSMISSION 7-speed automatic
CURB WEIGHT 3700 lb (est)
WHEELBASE 108.9 in
LENGTH X WIDTH X HEIGHT 186.3x69.7x54.6in
EPA CITY/HWY FUEL ECON 10/16 mpg (est)
ENERGY CONSUMPTION, CITY/HWY 337/211 kW-hrs/100 miles
CO2 EMISSIONS 1.61 lb/mile(est)
ON SALE IN U.S. June 2012

I got a ride in Ernie's as he got phucking tired of waiting for his Mallet and got one (not a 2013).

What a spaceship!

A fast spaceship.

Quick Reply: test drove a bunch of new cars..and they don't compare to my V1