Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

LS6 CTS-V vs G8 GT Reliability/Maintenance

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2012, 09:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LS6 CTS-V vs G8 GT Reliability/Maintenance

Okay guys here is the situation. I am looking to sell my 2001 Z28 and pick up something a little more practical. I graduated last year and am working now, I was going to keep my Z28 and pick up a dd, but I always have wanted a vette, so down the road I am shooting for that.

In the mean time I need something until then, I still need something with some ***** and it comes down to these two. (GM for life)

I am looking for past experience from past/present owners of these two cars.

{LS6 CTSV compared to the G8 GT}

I am not concerned one bit about performance but I am concerned about what car is better in the long run in terms of things breaking down.

I used to have a 2004 GTO and got rid of the car with 39k on it because of front suspension bushing issues, the radio was crapping out on me, power seats were failing. It was not a pleasant experience that I DO not want to repeat.

The G8 does worry me considering my past experience with Australian cars but I have never owned a G8 so I am open to all suggestions.

My main concern with the two cars is: (Transmission longevity (G8) suspension issues, electronical issues, navigation issues (CTSV) Brembo brake replacement (CTSV) and every little thing in between.

PLEASE tell of any serious design flaws that plague either of these cars, this is what I would like to know and hopefully at the end of our discussion I can choose one of them...

Thank you all in advance, I cannot tell you how much I appreciate your input.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Every bushing in the CTS-V is pure ****, rear diff's are somewhat reliable at best even under stock power, brakes are expensive and the navigation in the V sucks. Once you get that stuff out of the way they are pretty reliable.

G8s I have seen with lifter issues due to the DOD. They also take I believe 9 quarts of oil so oil changes are expensive as ****.

Id go G8 GT if I did it again. It will also hold its value a lot better then the V if you plan to sell in a few years. The first gen Vs are gonna be on par with fbody value int he next year or two.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:10 PM
On The Tree

What is your budget? If you are single, get the Caddy.
The Brembo brakes on the CTSV are fantastic and easy to change
Old 06-04-2012, 10:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by itsslow98
Every bushing in the CTS-V is pure ****, rear diff's are somewhat reliable at best even under stock power, brakes are expensive and the navigation in the V sucks. Once you get that stuff out of the way they are pretty reliable.

G8s I have seen with lifter issues due to the DOD. They also take I believe 9 quarts of oil so oil changes are expensive as ****.

Id go G8 GT if I did it again. It will also hold its value a lot better then the V if you plan to sell in a few years. The first gen Vs are gonna be on par with fbody value int he next year or two.
I was afraid of most of that, so you are saying the rear end in the cts-v is satisfactory under stock power but not much more? And you never had any problems with any other electrical things (heated seats, etc)

Are there any good aftermarket bushings out there that fix that problem?

Also I apologize for being a noob but what is DOD? I have heard of the term in regards to the G8 but lack the knowledge..

Thanks

Originally Posted by yooperLS6
What is your budget? If you are single, get the Caddy.
The Brembo brakes on the CTSV are fantastic and easy to change
Thanks! I'm looking to spend 20-23k, any other issues you ever have with yours?
Old 06-04-2012, 10:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Brakes aren't that expensive on the V.

$450 shipped to your door from Brake motive for 4 rotors and pads all around. I'm not sure how that's considered "expensive."

Differential issues... My Sat-Nav crashes all the time. My TPMS is on the fritz, etc.

You should lean more towards an LS2 CTS-V. Better upgrade path, and better diffs from the start. And some can still be found with warranty under CPO.

I don't know anything about the G8's reliability or issues with them. Just know my '04 V seems to be developing more issues.

-meaty
Old 06-04-2012, 10:48 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by meatyCTS-V

$450 shipped to your door from Brake motive for 4 rotors and pads all around. I'm not sure how that's considered "expensive."

Differential issues... My Sat-Nav crashes all the time. My TPMS is on the fritz, etc.

You should lean more towards an LS2 CTS-V. Better upgrade path, and better diffs from the start. And some can still be found with warranty under CPO.

I don't know anything about the G8's reliability or issues with them. Just know my '04 V seems to be developing more issues.

-meaty
How many miles are on it if you dont mind me asking
Old 06-04-2012, 10:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
I was afraid of most of that, so you are saying the rear end in the cts-v is satisfactory under stock power but not much more? And you never had any problems with any other electrical things (heated seats, etc)

Are there any good aftermarket bushings out there that fix that problem?

Also I apologize for being a noob but what is DOD? I have heard of the term in regards to the G8 but lack the knowledge..

Thanks
My TPMS sensors all took a crap with under 60k miles on them. The navigation system was about as useful as a map book and the radio buttons peeled on the stock system at 36k miles it was horrible, i had it replaced under warranty and they were peeling again by the time i sold it with 65k.

DOD= displacement on demand. Cuts out cylinders for fuel economy.

There are definetly bushings out there to fix the issues but your talking a lot of money in bushings alone between motor mounts, trans mount, shifter bushings and diff mount plus a lot in labor if you pay someone to do it.

I had my diff replaced under warranty and didnt really have a problem other then horrendous wheel hop in the rain or at the track. I did put an aftermarket anti-hop axle in and that helped on the street but not the rain or track. The wheel hop and diff in general were the main reason I sold the car because there are no real good options to put something strong in there without getting bent over on the price.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Raoul-Duke
How many miles are on it if you dont mind me asking
I'm at 102,5xxish. Just had my A/C compressor blow up, too.

-meaty
Old 06-04-2012, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I've got 92k on my V and so far I have had to replace all of the bushings/mounts. Got all my stuff from Creative Steel. Max and everyone else there are amazing to work with. That has been my biggest issue. The diffs are crap but as long as you're not going crazy with it they hold up decent. Brakes are not that expensive and are super easy to work on.

DOD stands for Displacement On Demand. Basically the computer shuts part of the power down when you don't need it. Once you put the throttle down it gives you everything. I had it in an 05 Dodge Magnum R/T Hemi. It was handy but it is also something you have to figure out how to use. Do it right you can gain MPG big time. drive it wrong, meaning in a RPM range where the DOD kicks in and out a lot & you will never pass a gas station.

If you don't mind the bit of initial repair and you want a manual trans get the V. For something you can just hop in and go & for those sexy front fenders get the G8. I love the fender flares on them!

Last edited by SSmokd U; 06-04-2012 at 11:14 PM.
Old 06-04-2012, 11:15 PM
TECH Veteran

Just look for a V with that little bullshit already done to it. Lots out there. Car vs. car... I say V. My chic has an 09 g8 gt. I like it but it's not the same. My car is much more fun to drive and I prefer it in almost every way other than wishing mine was an 09. Lol
Old 06-05-2012, 12:55 AM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by meatyCTS-V

-meaty
450? try 250. I paid 250 for all 4 rotors and pads for this V from Brakemotive.

Satnav is crap. Doesn't crash on me... just doesn't seem to be able to unfuck itself half the time.

I have an LS2 CTS-V with 126k+ miles on it. It was 100% stock when I picked it up... down to still having the CAGS on it. That was close to 20k ago.

Motor mounts, trans mount, swaybar bushings...
Thats basically all the maintenance I've had to do, with the exception of the engine rear seal, which i noticed leaking when I changed my clutch out.

I went UMIs vs stock mounts, and got a good deal on a CS trans mount on here. Car is otherwise in perfect shape. I have no interior problems. All my seats work, AC works, buttons all work... etc

People complain about the UMI vibration... etc... Its nothing life or death IMO. They are solid mounts that I won't have to touch anytime soon. Not like the stock mounts where you're changing them out every year.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:35 AM
TECH Veteran

Unrelated but how do you guys like the brakemotive rotors and pads? Had a buddy order some rotors and pads from another site for $450 that were anodized black and look really nice. Think it was brakeperformance.com or something like that. I dont know. He said they had really good reviews for being quality parts so he chose them over brakemotive. I have heard of anyone having issues with the brakemotive brakes though...
Old 06-05-2012, 01:49 AM
TECH Resident

I haven't had any real issues with them at all. They are holding up real well, considering the abuse I put em thru. No squealing or noise out of them either. Running their pads and rotors. Haven't noticed an increase in performance, but not a decrease either. They have about the same feel as stockers.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:07 AM
TECH Veteran

Thats fine with me. Thats the route ill be going. And... if im that concerned with the centers of the rotors rusting or turning color, ill just spray them with some high temp black paint before i install them.
Old 06-05-2012, 07:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by NeverSatisfied02
Thats fine with me. Thats the route ill be going. And... if im that concerned with the centers of the rotors rusting or turning color, ill just spray them with some high temp black paint before i install them.
That's what I'm gonna do. If you do, make sure you use Rustoleum's BBQ grill paint. The guy from brakemotive said it works best!
Old 06-05-2012, 08:39 AM
TECH Resident

the center of the brakemotive rotors should not rust as they are already coated.
Old 06-05-2012, 08:53 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Just look for a V with that little bullshit already done to it. Lots out there. Car vs. car... I say V. My chic has an 09 g8 gt. I like it but it's not the same. My car is much more fun to drive and I prefer it in almost every way other than wishing mine was an 09. Lol
This.^^
With your budget you should be able to find a V with the issues already addressed. If I were to buy all over again, this would be the route I'd take.

However, if you're financing, good luck finding a V the bank will approve.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:10 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well I appreciate everything you guys have said. I am prob going to post a similar thread in the G8 section and see what they say. I really do not want to get a STI lol
Old 06-05-2012, 12:49 PM
TECH Veteran

STI's are bad *** little cars. I just can't take them seriously when I'm looking for a new ride. Just too small and compact for me. I'm 6'0 and a solid 235 lbs. Me fitting in a little car like that (although I've driven them and they are fun) would be a major pain in the *** to do daily. Those cars are for the shorter and smaller folks.. Lol
Old 06-05-2012, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

STI's are bad *** little cars. I just can't take them seriously when I'm looking for a new ride. Just too small and compact for me. I'm 6'0 and a solid 235 lbs. Me fitting in a little car like that (although I've driven them and they are fun) would be a major pain in the *** to do daily. Those cars are for the shorter and smaller folks.. Lol
^Yes, this^ lol

Quick Reply: LS6 CTS-V vs G8 GT Reliability/Maintenance