Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Maggie guys: iat question

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2012, 09:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Maggie guys: iat question

Has anyone tried to use the iat in the maf instead of the Maggie sensor? I understand why they moved it and all that but in theory if we keep it in the maf and get a lower iat reading it should pick up power. My question is has anyone tried it yet?

I plan on throwing the car back on the dyno soon to tune for the 2.6 with the iw balancer. I figure it wouldn't hurt to swap the wires back to the maf and see if any gains are made.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where is the IAT with the maggie? I would want the most accurate temps that enter the combustion chamber, your not doing any good if your trying to trick the PCM into thinking the air is colder then it really is.
Old 06-11-2012, 09:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^ agreed.

Some were buying the omega thermistors that were faster reading and modifying the sensor housing to allow more airflow to the sensor itself to pickup lower intake temps. I bought the parts and started the mod but didn't like the result (it felt too weak like it could break off) so I never installed it. Scanning showed good results for those that did it.

I'm not sure anyone moved the sensor location, to me that always seemed like it was tricking the system. If the air is actually hotter in the manifold and going into the cylinders, I didn't want to trick the computer to gain power, it seemed dangerous and stupid.

The omega thermistors are more accurate than the standard sensor, so you can pull legitimate cooler temps under certain conditions, but reading the air pre-supercharger is just fooling the computer like the ebay intake "chips."
Old 06-11-2012, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

The IAT is in the lower s/c manifold reading the air right before it enters the cylinders.
Old 06-12-2012, 07:21 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by punishmentcycle
Has anyone tried to use the iat in the maf instead of the Maggie sensor? I understand why they moved it and all that but in theory if we keep it in the maf and get a lower iat reading it should pick up power. My question is has anyone tried it yet?

I plan on throwing the car back on the dyno soon to tune for the 2.6 with the iw balancer. I figure it wouldn't hurt to swap the wires back to the maf and see if any gains are made.
BAD IDEA!!! The reason this would give you more power is that the timing tables that compensate for high IAT's are not being used b/c it is not reading accurate numbers. You might as well stick the IAT sensor in a block of ice, esp since you will be running an OD crank pulley and 2.6 snout pulley.

On a Maggie, the IAT sensor is placed after the rotors which heat the air, so that it can get an accurate reading of what is being induced into the motor.

As with everything else....bad input = bad output.
Old 06-12-2012, 08:16 AM
TECH Enthusiast

^^ exactly
Old 06-12-2012, 10:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

like i said guys i understand why they moved the sensor, was just asking if anyone has tried it.. i was messing around with a dummy file and looking at the timing tables,ve and adjusting to compensate. i did actually try it yesterday and did some logging.. i pulled alot of timing just for logging purposes and to see how she would react and take a look at the actual iat at the maf.
IAT's at the maf were 75-90 degrees..lol the maggie sensor in the same conditions is showing 130+ so i kicked this idea to the curb. dyno friday with the 2.6 so ill keep you guys posted on that

Quick Reply: Maggie guys: iat question