Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Gauging Interest for a VIABLE TVS 2300 Option

Old 06-19-2012, 04:18 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Gauging Interest for a VIABLE TVS 2300 Option

It looks like my quest for an oil-less twin turbo setup has fallen through as I cannot get definitive answers to the questions I have long been requesting and it now looks as if I may not have the time available for a welding/fabrication heavy install such as this.

I have been reviewing my options and calling in favors and now think I am set on going with a custom E-Force 2300 supercharger with custom HEX etc. This is going to be more involved on the 04-05 models with the LS6 as compared to the LS2 models, however from everything I have factored is still very possible.

Being a cheap ***, I am trying to stay within the $5500 - $6000 range (not counting labor, of course) which is still below what the Maggie 112 kits are now retailing for.

My question...if I can get the bugs worked out while staying within my target price range...is there a market for this? Granted, this is not going to be a complete kit that comes to you in a box, but will be well documented if I proceed and easily followed or upgrades with more expensive parts can be substituted if desired.

I will most likely begin ordering parts next week.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:22 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what about people already running mp112s? anything that can be reused? if so cost delta for an upgrade?
Old 06-19-2012, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Why not forge everything and use a 122?
Old 06-19-2012, 04:29 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Yes, it is possible to re-use the HEX system...however the bulk of my budget is based on the head unit and tensioner assembly. The HEX system is the least significant portion of the planned installation. Probably better off selling the Maggie complete since you will make more money sourcing the parts that "could be" used from the Maggie kit.

The E-Force integrates the complete intake/supercharger into one assembly vice the Maggie that is bolted to the lower intake plenum. You will not be able to unbolt the 112 and bolt the 2300 charger on b/c of this and that it is reverse rotation and forces air up rather than down like a Maggie.

Hope this answered your question

Last edited by DMM; 06-19-2012 at 04:36 PM.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:31 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by heavymetals
Why not forge everything and use a 122?
I already sold my Maggie in preparation for the twin turbo install...besides, I am not as lucky as CancerJCC and have never seen a 122 head unit for sale.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm interested. Not this year, because my budget has already been blown on my cam kit, wheels, and the hood, but my ultimate goal is to end up with a TVS1900 from Lingenfelter or a TVS2300 kit from somewhere else. I like your price target too.
Old 06-19-2012, 04:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

I was window shopping a full on LS7 (Lingenfelter) and they cost more then the car is worth!

FI or big cubes, it's all fun.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:47 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ahhhh ls7 zo6 is def my next ride
Old 06-19-2012, 07:50 PM
Launching!

If you work out all the bugs, I'm interested. I know your work and have faith you'll have a beast when complete.
Old 06-19-2012, 08:26 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DMM
It looks like my quest for an oil-less twin turbo setup has fallen through as I cannot get definitive answers to the questions I have long been requesting and it now looks as if I may not have the time available for a welding/fabrication heavy install such as this.

I have been reviewing my options and calling in favors and now think I am set on going with a custom E-Force 2300 supercharger with custom HEX etc. This is going to be more involved on the 04-05 models with the LS6 as compared to the LS2 models, however from everything I have factored is still very possible.

Being a cheap ***, I am trying to stay within the $5500 - $6000 range (not counting labor, of course) which is still below what the Maggie 112 kits are now retailing for.

My question...if I can get the bugs worked out while staying within my target price range...is there a market for this? Granted, this is not going to be a complete kit that comes to you in a box, but will be well documented if I proceed and easily followed or upgrades with more expensive parts can be substituted if desired.

I will most likely begin ordering parts next week.

I have it on my 2007. It runs great but good luck at keeping it under 6k. If you have any questions PM me and Ill give you my #. You can call me and I will try and save you from my pitfalls.
Old 06-19-2012, 09:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

This was interesting:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c5-f...12-maggie.html
Old 06-19-2012, 09:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

I think twin or single turbo kit would be very well suited for the V because of the power curve. For those with built rears the torque curve would be way less stressful on the drivetrain and would pull like a freight train up top. Any shop would be abel to fab up a turbo kit and throw a Comp oilless turbo on it. Any of the setups besides the 112 are gonna cost you more then 6k unless you do it all yourself.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:43 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by GFallen
If you work out all the bugs, I'm interested. I know your work and have faith you'll have a beast when complete.
Thanks man, will def. keep you informed on the progress.

Originally Posted by psychobillycaddy
I have it on my 2007. It runs great but good luck at keeping it under 6k. If you have any questions PM me and Ill give you my #. You can call me and I will try and save you from my pitfalls.
Very much appreciated! I will absolutely take you up on your offer as soon as I get out of this heathenistic **** hole of a country. Do you have any pics to post? What fuel system are you running?

Never would have believed this was possible with a 112. Makes you wonder what his IAT's are.

Originally Posted by itsslow98
I think twin or single turbo kit would be very well suited for the V because of the power curve. For those with built rears the torque curve would be way less stressful on the drivetrain and would pull like a freight train up top. Any shop would be abel to fab up a turbo kit and throw a Comp oilless turbo on it. Any of the setups besides the 112 are gonna cost you more then 6k unless you do it all yourself.
That is what I thought as well...GULFM3 has an awesome setup but I have never been a fan of the scavenge system...makes me cringe with everything relying on that pump. Bad thing is, I could not get ANY info that I was looking for from Comp or their distributors (one of which is a vendor here). Anyhow, I would much rather fab a supercharger HEX system than a stainless steel exhaust and intercooler pipes. Besides, welding bores the hell out of me.

Question....Does anyone have the measurements for our radiator (height/width)? Trying to have this stuff waiting for me at home when I return home.
Old 06-19-2012, 10:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

That is interesting... run e85 and IAT's should be lowered
Old 06-20-2012, 08:19 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DMM

The E-Force integrates the complete intake/supercharger into one assembly vice the Maggie that is bolted to the lower intake plenum. You will not be able to unbolt the 112 and bolt the 2300 charger on b/c of this and that it is reverse rotation and forces air up rather than down like a Maggie.

Hope this answered your question
I am having trouble making sense of this. I understand that you can probably unbolt the maggie from the lower intake assembly that it comes attached to, but I don't imagine too many people would bother taking that apart. When you remove the maggie from the motor, along with the intake section and intercooler, you are left looking at the engine valley cover and heads. Doesn't the e-force bolt on in place of the intake manifold in the same way?

I don't get why you can't remove the maggie unit and bolt in the 2300, they're both just essentially replacement intake manifolds. I understand the TB and intake tubing would have to be modified, along with belt routing and tensioner pulley, hosing, etc.
Old 06-20-2012, 09:50 AM
TECH Fanatic

+1 interested.. saw Ichs TVS thread a while back but since there has to be custom work done i stopped following..

So this can be done with all off the shelf parts on a CTS V accessory drive??
Old 06-20-2012, 10:13 AM
TECH Apprentice

You already know my answer...lol. When do you get back to this side and time zone?
Old 06-20-2012, 10:18 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by CTSV_510
I am having trouble making sense of this. I understand that you can probably unbolt the maggie from the lower intake assembly that it comes attached to, but I don't imagine too many people would bother taking that apart. When you remove the maggie from the motor, along with the intake section and intercooler, you are left looking at the engine valley cover and heads. Doesn't the e-force bolt on in place of the intake manifold in the same way?

I don't get why you can't remove the maggie unit and bolt in the 2300, they're both just essentially replacement intake manifolds. I understand the TB and intake tubing would have to be modified, along with belt routing and tensioner pulley, hosing, etc.
You are correct, the entire assembly will come off down to the valley and cylinder heads. The difference is, the Maggie is on top of the intake and forces the compressed air down through the lower intake where the intercooler resides. Some people (namely ICHPEN) have taken the 112 head unit off the lower manifold and successfully integrated a Maggie 2300 TVS head unit in its place after getting the jackshaft and pulleys aligned correctly. The later I find to be a major pain in the *** that I want nothing to do with.

The E-Force rotor pack is machined into the intake, which sits in the valley, is direct driven (no jackshaft), and forces the compressed air up and then through the two intercoolers on either side. Completely different arrangement. What I was getting at, you cannot unbolt the 112 head unit and bolt the E-Force rotor pack/case in its place.

Goggle E-Force cut away and you will see the major design difference.

Originally Posted by shadyLS6
+1 interested.. saw Ichs TVS thread a while back but since there has to be custom work done i stopped following..

So this can be done with all off the shelf parts on a CTS V accessory drive??
Well, kind of. Not exactly off the shelf per say, rather a bastardized combination of off the shelf parts across a few platforms that (*should*) allow the TVS 2300 head unit fit our application. I expect there to be some massaging, but I think it will be much easier than having to deal with the jackshaft pulley alignment issue's and custom pulleys.

It will bolt on, and the pulley alignment will be correct. Nothing else from any of the E-Force kits are compatible though...which is why I will be sourcing other aftermarket items to complete this. Only thing provided will be the head unit, inlet tube, injectors, and tensioner. Everything else will have to be otherwise sourced or made...which is insignificant from my perspective.

If it has already worked on Psycho's V, there is no reason that it would not work. My objective is to make this a reasonably priced project that does not require outside fabrication (which always commands BIG $$$, especially with our cars). And most importantly, because i'm cheap.
Old 06-20-2012, 10:22 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NOLAG05
You already know my answer...lol. When do you get back to this side and time zone?
Hahaha....I knew you would be posting in here at some point, G...just wondering what took you so long, LOL.

August time frame as it stands right now...just in time for the summer heat...LMAO
Old 06-20-2012, 11:01 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DMM
You are correct, the entire assembly will come off down to the valley and cylinder heads. The difference is, the Maggie is on top of the intake and forces the compressed air down through the lower intake where the intercooler resides. Some people (namely ICHPEN) have taken the 112 head unit off the lower manifold and successfully integrated a Maggie 2300 TVS head unit in its place after getting the jackshaft and pulleys aligned correctly. The later I find to be a major pain in the *** that I want nothing to do with.

The E-Force rotor pack is machined into the intake, which sits in the valley, is direct driven (no jackshaft), and forces the compressed air up and then through the two intercoolers on either side. Completely different arrangement. What I was getting at, you cannot unbolt the 112 head unit and bolt the E-Force rotor pack/case in its place.

Goggle E-Force cut away and you will see the major design difference.

It will bolt on, and the pulley alignment will be correct. Nothing else from any of the E-Force kits are compatible though...which is why I will be sourcing other aftermarket items to complete this. Only thing provided will be the head unit, inlet tube, injectors, and tensioner. Everything else will have to be otherwise sourced or made...which is insignificant from my perspective.
I see what you are saying now. So you actually can replace the 112 with this unit as long as you take the entire 112 off including the lower intake manifold and intercooler.

So if you get the E-force head unit with the inlet tube, injectors, and tensioner, you will probably need to re-route some hoses and maybe re-wire some sensors, but you would already have the hex and intercooler pump mounted and ready to go, and a boost a pump already installed (if you're using one).

If you're saying the pulley will line up correctly, and it fits under the hood OK, I don't see much of an issue getting this to work.

The question then is how much for the E-Force head unit with injectors, inlet tubing and belt tensioner? And how much is a used 112 head unit worth without the miscellaneous parts from the rest of the kit?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Gauging Interest for a VIABLE TVS 2300 Option