Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Odd clunk turning and uphill

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2012, 04:53 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Odd clunk turning and uphill

Ya, mind boggling.

Soo, seems to be developing and getting worse. Basically going sideways up ramps and turning left or right sharply seems to make a funny odd clunk that comes out of all directions.

It sounds like springs but its not. Occasionally sounds like its motor mounts (brand new CS ones), sometimes comes out of the rear, sometimes I can feel it through the steering column. The oddest thing.

Had the car up, checked over the hubs and ball joints out front and they're holding up. Checked springs of course (currently in between suspensions so am running a nearly new KW V3) and all is well. The hotchkis bushings were a little wasted up front, greased them up, same clunk. Not sure if that's my problem.

Also another observation, once it clunks it seems to get worse if that makes sense for a while i.e. it clunks more often just steering the car. Exhaust, header all firm.

I've inspected obvious stuff but can't see anything that could possibly cause this other than questionable sway bar bushings (btw, do hotchkis sell them separately?)

Welcoming ideas.
Old 07-15-2012, 06:17 PM
TECH Resident

Dual mass turd.
Old 07-16-2012, 08:15 AM
On The Tree

Nope. Not running the stock cluch and it would not be it anyways
Old 07-16-2012, 09:21 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is your sway bar hitting your shocks?
Old 07-16-2012, 09:28 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by lollygagger8
Is your sway bar hitting your shocks?
I didn`t see any markings at all on the shock body. Good guess though. I`ll do one more quick check. Sway bar could definitely be the culprit though somehow. The fact that it happens on turns and when one side is more loaded seems to be indicative of that or other suspension issues.

It almost sounds like spring bind and unbind but obviously on small turns this shouldn`t be happening. I also thought it might be the heatshield on the new CS motor mounts as it`s kind of solid metal and very long almost to the point that it`s close to touching the bottom of the motor mount assembly but again no obvious markings.
Old 07-16-2012, 10:09 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Try disconnecting the sway bar and tying it up and out of the way to rule that out.

Quick Reply: Odd clunk turning and uphill