Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

how are the 04-07 cts v 's holding up

Old 06-05-2013, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how are the 04-07 cts v 's holding up

I have read a lot of forums about the ctsv and there associated problems such as weak diffs mounts etc...was wondering what these cars are breaking once they have miles on them I really want to get one but buget will only allow one with 100k or so miles. .any input would be appreciated..thanks
Old 06-06-2013, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Bump -- would be interested in the same information.

From what I've read, the differential issues seem to be the biggest prevailing issue for these cars.
Old 06-06-2013, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ive considered one (love the way they drive!) and from what Ive read about them it seems they hold up fine as long as you don't launch them hard, the biggest problem being wheel hop (which quickly destroys diffs).
There have been some fixes for the various issues:
https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...ts-v-rear.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...ts-cts-vs.html
https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...les-cts-v.html
Old 06-08-2013, 09:35 AM

Thanks ..new tothe forums. ..found a few threads in the model specific ...the diffs are the only major issue with these cars...now just to find one...
Old 06-09-2013, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

GMHTP did a write up on the BMR parts for solving the wheel hop problem...

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...s/viewall.html
Old 06-09-2013, 09:23 PM
Teching In

check out GForce Engineering anti-wheel hop axle kit for wheel hop fixes the problem at the root and added strength to axles. their 9in kits fix all the common problems with ctsv. I have personally driven an 04 cam only with the 9in kit. night and day difference in wheel hop.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:39 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I had one for about 2 years, absolutely loved it. Beautiful car, faster then lightly modded fbodies on the freeway.

Had the typical issues, slop in the shifter and motormounts. Both pretty easy fixes. Also had a window regulator go out. Parts are more pricey then the fbody (go figure... its a caddi) but it was an absolute dream to drive.

If you are mechanically inclined and can afford a little extra coin, its a no brainer. I would get another one without hesitation. Girlfriend loved it, dogs loved it and I loved it.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:03 PM
TECH Fanatic

I love mine... Its decently fast. The LS6 with long tubes sounds so sweet it's almost criminal. The t56 took some getting used to from my previous cars but its not too bad. I have had some wheel hop on occasion so I take it pretty easy until I'm rolling 2nd gear or so. Knock on wood everything works pretty well on mine so far. The mods bug has bit me again so now I'm searching to get everything I want together
Old 06-12-2013, 10:25 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Once you get RevShift mounts and bushings to replace all the OE crap, it's much better. They're cheap and easy to install for the most part. Toss the dual mass flywheel in favor of an LS7 complete kit. I never had too many issue's with wheel hop before I installed the 8.8", just drive like you have some sense and you shouldn't have any issue's.
Old 06-12-2013, 10:41 PM
Launching!

I love mine bought it with 110k and have 117+ now, I love it. The drive train in mine is a little clunky (others mentioned the clutch/mounts) but as far as major problems I have had none.

Just like any used car if it runs good when you buy it you should be able to keep it that way, esp if it was maintained before and doesn't look beat
Old 06-13-2013, 12:05 AM
Teching In

My 05' has 115xxx on the clock and runs like a champ still. And seriously the rear end is not a problem if you drive with common sense. Love it
Old 06-13-2013, 12:33 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Well, outside of the hard parts, the body tends to fall apart. Not too many squeaks, but a lot of rattles. The body on my 1994 Lexus GS300 has less rattles, and still has a solid ka-thunk when I shut the door.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:22 AM
TECH Regular

I don't have any complaints about mine @ 114k miles.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sreve
GMHTP did a write up on the BMR parts for solving the wheel hop problem...

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...s/viewall.html
^waste of time.

But my car is great. almost 96K on her and no problems (other than minor stuff). Lots of mods though

But there is not much differenc to any other LSX based car...so...like all the others Id imagine. Just with an even shi*ier differential.
Old 06-13-2013, 08:46 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DrSpeed
Well, outside of the hard parts, the body tends to fall apart. Not too many squeaks, but a lot of rattles. The body on my 1994 Lexus GS300 has less rattles, and still has a solid ka-thunk when I shut the door.
?? The body on yours fell apart? Mine is tight and straight with no rattles at 80k. The only thing I could see being considered cheap or having lots of rattles is the plastic interior. The cheap plastic squeaks and cracks. I have replaced a number of interior pieces, but that stuff doesnt matter when you floor the throttle.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:43 AM
On The Tree

I do mostly roll racing with mine. Runs perfect after new engine and trans mounts. No rattles at all with 68k on it. I run the **** out of this car every weekend and have used over 30 bottles refills easy! Just don't buy a SPEC clutch for it!
Old 06-13-2013, 11:09 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Once you replace the motor mounts and shifter with a short-throw, these cars are great. You will not do clutch dump burnouts without an 8.8 or 9 inch diff upgrade, but then presumably if you are interested in that you would not be looking at a 4 door caddy.
Old 06-13-2013, 01:09 PM
TECH Fanatic

Oh I forgot... I just broke my sail panel the other day when I was putting my kid in his car seat. My shirt got hung up on it and tugged it off. I haven't taken the panel off yet but I understand others have had issues with their sail panels as well... This are the pieces between the back doors and the rear window. Other than that love the car still lol
Old 06-13-2013, 05:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by xxrillixx
I had one for about 2 years, absolutely loved it. Beautiful car, faster then lightly modded fbodies on the freeway.

Had the typical issues, slop in the shifter and motormounts. Both pretty easy fixes. Also had a window regulator go out. Parts are more pricey then the fbody (go figure... its a caddi) but it was an absolute dream to drive.

If you are mechanically inclined and can afford a little extra coin, its a no brainer. I would get another one without hesitation. Girlfriend loved it, dogs loved it and I loved it.
++ that

I had an F-Body, the wrench turning is similar, as mentioned above the parts are twice a much. (Caddy tax) Mine has 99K on it with over 30K on the used Maggie I bought from ebay. Engine runs like a champ.

Just like all the cars I've owned, I love it, I hate it, I love it. But even with its issues, I love this car more than any of the others.....The EC Hood turns heads.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:04 PM
Teching In

My 05 has 91k on it and all that I've had to do to it is replace the water pump and one of the rear windows has fallen of the track. The interior is cheap, the front of the dash has cracked under the Texas heat and all the ***** show terrible wear on the stereo.

It still shifts great (as great as the stock shifter will let you, anyway), rear end is holding up fine from the occasional traffic light drag, roll racing and whatever abuse the previous owner has thrown at it.

My sons 05 has 72k and had the tranny rebuilt by the dealer before the previous owner bought it from the dealer and no other issues. His interior, however, is immaculate (buttons included) and has paint that shines like new after a good wax job.

If you take care of maintenance and random issues before they snowball I don't see the V being any worse than most other higher mileage cars. My jeep has 195k, my mitsu 251k and I expect the V to hold up just as good or better.

Last edited by cts v r4; 06-13-2013 at 10:15 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: how are the 04-07 cts v 's holding up