Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Stand-still burnout issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 09:42 AM
11 Second Club

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Stand-still burnout issues

I am going to sound like an idiot, but I assure you, I know what I am doing!

I tried to do a stand-still burnout in my V the other night. It wouldn't do it. I reved it up, let the clutch go and she started burning. As soon as I put my foot on the brake, the car would try to activate traction control. It almost stalled on me. I tried all 3 settings, T/C OFF, Perf. Mode and Stability OFF. Nothing worked. What am I doing wrong?

What mode do you do your stand-still burnout in with your FOOT ON THE BRAKE ?

Last edited by 9t8z28; 08-17-2012 at 11:19 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:46 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I need to check my tables but I'm wondering if there is a torque management table in the ECM that may be futzing with this. I might also be over complicating this.

Edit: I just looked at the torque management table and with this car I don't think it is an issue. I can't see anywhere that torque management is limited in a specific RPM range, which is what you have with a lot of automatic trannys. That said there may be another limiting table or calibration in place, I'm sure someone will chime in with an exact answer.

Last edited by Dmax/04V; 08-17-2012 at 09:51 AM.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:51 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dmax/04V
I need to check my tables but I'm wondering if there is a torque management table in the ECM that may be futzing with this. I might also be over complicating this.
So since I am modded, this may be causing the issue? IS this something my tuner was supposed to adjust?
Old 08-17-2012, 11:02 AM
Staging Lane

i have no issues doing them. i got a new set of tires last week and have done 2 2nd gear standing burnouts already to where the road disappeared.
Old 08-17-2012, 11:16 AM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by va mike
i have no issues doing them. i got a new set of tires last week and have done 2 2nd gear standing burnouts already to where the road disappeared.
Can you tell me what mode you were in when u did the stand-still burnout with your foot on the brake??
Old 08-17-2012, 12:08 PM
Staging Lane

i only had TC off, nothing else.put it in 2nd n dumped it then stood on the brakes.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:16 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by va mike
i only had TC off, nothing else.put it in 2nd n dumped it then stood on the brakes.
i would admajin you have a upgraded 9 inch rear or something.
i dont have the ***** to dump the clutch in seccond to do a burnout. i would be to afraid of exploding the geartrec diff in these cars.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:17 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
I am going to sound like an idiot, but I assure you, I know what I am doing!

I tried to do a stand-still burnout in my V the other night. It wouldn't do it. I reved it up, let the clutch go and she started burning. As soon as I put my foot on the brake, the car would try to activate traction control. It almost stalled on me. I tried all 3 settings, T/C OFF, Perf. Mode and Stability OFF. Nothing worked. What am I doing wrong?

What mode do you do your stand-still burnout in with your FOOT ON THE BRAKE ?
that is wierd, when ever i do a burnout i just hold the t/c button until it flashed stabilitract off.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:37 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by cammedv
that is wierd, when ever i do a burnout i just hold the t/c button until it flashed stabilitract off.
So you had the car set to STABILITY OFF and you did a burnout with your foot on the bread and your car was burning out standing still?
Old 08-17-2012, 12:45 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by cammedv
i would admajin you have a upgraded 9 inch rear or something.
i dont have the ***** to dump the clutch in seccond to do a burnout. i would be to afraid of exploding the geartrec diff in these cars.
lol stock 04 rear with 87k on it. 2nd gear really rolls smoke off the tires.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:50 PM
On The Tree

I havent had mine long enough to really abuse it like this, but i know in automatic vehicle GM has what they call "abuse mode" which is different than torque management. If it senses wheel slip in the back compared to the front, itll limit power. I turned it off in my truck and was able roll the tires off after. Maybe its on these too? I havent tried a standstill but I can roll the tires off through an intersection pretty good.
Old 08-17-2012, 12:52 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Bacon
I havent had mine long enough to really abuse it like this, but i know in automatic vehicle GM has what they call "abuse mode" which is different than torque management. If it senses wheel slip in the back compared to the front, itll limit power. I turned it off in my truck and was able roll the tires off after. Maybe its on these too? I havent tried a standstill but I can roll the tires off through an intersection pretty good.

Yes, I can do a rolling burnout as well from a stop. What did you turn off on your truck so it would burn?
Old 08-17-2012, 01:44 PM
TECH Resident

Received 14 Likes on 8 Posts

Nope, I have no issues with everything turned off.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:15 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by Bacon
These cars have an abuse management table, but looking at it I can't see any part of it that would cause this. The table in OEM form is based off of TPS and RPM, but from what I see (as a newb at tuning) I can't find anything that would affect a burnout.
Old 08-17-2012, 02:59 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 9t8z28
So you had the car set to STABILITY OFF and you did a burnout with your foot on the bread and your car was burning out standing still?
yup easily, need almost no brake to keep the car sitting there, however i only do it once and awile, and always stay in first. then when i launch the car i just blow the tires off in seccond and third.
Old 08-17-2012, 03:06 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by Dmax/04V
These cars have an abuse management table, but looking at it I can't see any part of it that would cause this. The table in OEM form is based off of TPS and RPM, but from what I see (as a newb at tuning) I can't find anything that would affect a burnout.
Do you think ABS could affect it?
Old 08-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Staging Lane

Just buy a line lock, hit the switch and burn as long as you want.
Old 08-17-2012, 07:13 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by mrwill76
Just buy a line lock, hit the switch and burn as long as you want.
Thanks but that doesn't fix the issue. I dont like bandaids
Old 08-18-2012, 08:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

A line lock is in no way a bandage....
Old 08-18-2012, 11:26 AM
On The Tree

when i was out for a drive today i did some testing for ya.
i did 2 back to back burnouts.

first one i had just tc off, dumped the clutch in first, sat there for a few secconds then launched, once i started spinning the 2nd the stability cut the power.

seccond burnout, i had stability off, started out in first, sat there, powershifted into 2nd, and dragged it out around one hundered feet, no loos of power.

id def say you have a tune issuie(dunno if its possible) or maybe a abs sensor acting up, or maybe your emergency brake is sticking,

maybe shoot a video of your problem, might help

Quick Reply: Stand-still burnout issues