Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Projector Halo Headlights & Foglights

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2012, 09:34 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Projector Halo Headlights & Foglights

Figured I'd drop an update in here. Still tweaking, but initial impressions are excellent. In person, the look of six vertical halos is pretty unique--even my BMW-driving friends did an abrupt 180° after seeing these things in person. I'll have better pictures later. For now, I'm just basking in the glow of:
  • Six 7000K CCFL halos
  • Two 55 watt 4500K projector headlights
  • Two 35 watt 4500K projector foglamps (not illuminated in these pictures)

Before I forget--the color temperature depicted in these pictures is accurate. I double-checked. You get a nice, strong purple-blue-white flash as you move through the transition between the blocked and unblocked portion of the projection beam.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 05-02-2013 at 06:33 PM.
Old 09-16-2012, 09:39 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As much as I hated the original idea that you were going for, I think it personally looks sick and I can't wait till mine arrive here on Tuesday.

I'll contribute to this thread after i get mine installed and wired in. Any chance you could post up what you needed to do to wire in the headlights?
Old 09-16-2012, 09:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by tmonttt
Any chance you could post up what you needed to do to wire in the headlights?
You know how to remove the bumper, the old headlights, and the washer tubing, right? If so, here's what's left:

1. Replace the included H1 high beams with Silverstars. The included high beam bulbs are hilariously bad. Silverstars are less terrible, and they're less than $30 on Amazon. Note that there's a little button on the base of the mount that you have to press to release the bulb (not the same thing as the wire tensioner that you have to press to release the bulb base).

2. Cut off the stock low-beam bulb (it's hardwired). Replace it with your choice of HID and ballast, but I recommend 4300-4500K DDM HIDs coupled to a 55 watt Raptor ballast, which can be neatly screwed into the spot where the huge D1S ballast would normally go (make sure you buy the optional DDM brackets and have a couple of big screws handy). You may have to dremel the edges of the plastic slot slightly to fit flush if you're using a big ballast.

3. Cut the big connector out of the back of the headlight housing. You can try to connect the stock harness to the headlight, but the tabs will push in and it won't work. It's a design flaw. Big drill bit + metal snips should work, or whatever you have handy. Next, cut the connector off your stock harness (leave a couple of inches in case you want to re-attach it later), and splice wires as follows:

Driver's Side Legend: Headlight - Car
  • Blue (Low Beam) - Yellow (Low Beam)
  • White (High Beam) - Green (High Beam)
  • Tan (DRL/Halo) - Purple (DRL/Halo)
  • Black (Ground) - Black/Black (Ground)
Passenger's Side Legend: Headlight - Car
  • Blue (Low Beam) -Tan (Low Beam)
  • White (High Beam) - Green (High Beam)
  • Tan (DRL/Halo) - Brown (DRL/Halo)
  • Black (Ground) - Black/Black (Ground)
Note that each car connector has a pair of grounds. Splice them both together with the ground wire to each headlight. Thanks to Stepchild21 for typing out the original list (although it's pretty obvious once you look at it in person).

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 09-16-2012 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-17-2012, 10:05 AM
TECH Regular

I didn't think it would be difficult, but that seals the deal for me. Thanks for the heads up, and for the most part I was just curious what wire went for the Halo's which seems that the corner light from the old headlights is the one.

Pretty excited about getting this in tomorrow considering how much my stock lights are torn up!

Pictures from my end tomorrow!
Old 09-17-2012, 10:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Wow! That actually looks sick!
Old 09-18-2012, 09:42 PM
TECH Regular

These aren't very good pictures, and I will snap a few more in the next day or so but honestly, wow... These things are awesome. They give the front end a whole new look. Awesome quality, awesome fit, awesome product.

I also was able to fit the stock wiring plug on the headlight socket so that saved a lot of time and hassle.

Before my lenses were cracked, pitted and I didn't like the gray housings in general.

During and After

Last edited by tmonttt; 09-18-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

what would it cost to have you make a set of these?
Old 09-19-2012, 11:57 PM
Teching In

Lights look sick!! Where did you get em? The grey insides look dumb on a black car IMO.
Old 09-19-2012, 11:57 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
what would it cost to have you make a set of these?
What--projector foglights? Like the ones I previewed earlier? I'm still finishing mine and refining the process.

tmonttt, what did you do with your washers?

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 09-20-2012 at 12:04 AM.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:45 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
What--projector foglights? Like the ones I previewed earlier? I'm still finishing mine and refining the process.

tmonttt, what did you do with your washers?
You can cut the back then plug them with a wood dowl and hose clamp.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:49 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by Onefast V
You can cut the back then plug them with a wood dowl and hose clamp.
Or you can just remove the hose using the included quick disconnects.

My question was actually targeted at the headlight washer mechanism, which will try to push fluid through the capped system. I hope to have time to get in there and find out how to disconnect it.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

that looks f'ing nasty. do want.
Old 09-20-2012, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I like your color better fuzzy, I have the 6000k and they are too ricey!
Old 09-20-2012, 04:48 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by etcts-v
I like your color better fuzzy, I have the 6000k and they are too ricey!
Quote from a related post (written by me) on the Cadillac Forums:

Regardless of application, I recommend German manufactured 4300-4500K bulbs. Not only are they do they provide the best illumination (being closest to pure white), they look the best, with that nice little blue-purple flash as you pass through the transition band in a projection lens.

People think that you'll get more of that flash and sparkle (color shift) by raising the color temperature, when it actually has the opposite effect. If you want to know more, pull up a Wikipedia page on optical refraction and Snell's Law. By producing only a part of the spectrum, you're effectively reducing one of the cosmetically desirable characteristics of your headlights.
Bulbs of Asian origin typically have very short lifetimes, especially when driven by 55 watt ballasts, and they tend to have mild blue filters applied to them, which decreases output.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm running 35 watt ballasts and the 6000k isn't horrible has good light output but not what I want my car to look like, too much blue, yours are perfect.
Old 09-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Launching!

looks much better then I expected, i'll have to look into this in the future.

are you able to use the stock ballasts or is an aftermarket required? and this is probably stupid, but you didn't mention separating the lense from the headlight housing (oven deal) is that required? thanks in advance
Old 09-22-2012, 08:23 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by wmskateteam
looks much better then I expected, i'll have to look into this in the future.

are you able to use the stock ballasts or is an aftermarket required? and this is probably stupid, but you didn't mention separating the lense from the headlight housing (oven deal) is that required? thanks in advance
You have to use aftermarket ballasts, if you're referring to the headlights. The foglights do require quite a bit of prep work: baking in the oven, prying the lens free, cutting Lexan, epoxying it on, water test, etc. Pretty sure I posted these before, but here we go again:

By the way, I'm loving this setup. One more picture. I checked this for accuracy against real life--the headlights are a little green in the picture because of the camera's imperfect color correction. In reality, both the headlights and foglights look exactly like what you're seeing in the foglamp. Pure white core with the slightest hint of blue or purple.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:36 PM
TECH Regular

Bringing this thread back...

Got around to painting the gray trim of these headlights black. I used plastidip because I wanted to make sure this is what I wanted before I fully committed to painting them and it turned out pretty solid. Only took about 30 minutes on each side and I think the results look awesome compared to the prior gray.

Prior gray border

Old 09-27-2012, 07:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

Sweet.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:24 PM
TECH Regular

Really glad I went through with the whole headlight swap and painting the border. Gives the front end of the car a whole new look.

Quick Reply: Projector Halo Headlights & Foglights