LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion

LS1TECH - Camaro and Firebird Forum Discussion (https://ls1tech.com/forums/)
-   Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) (https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-2004-2007-gen-i-68/)
-   -   Anyone running this cam? (https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-2004-2007-gen-i/1589154-anyone-running-cam.html)

DACTARI 10-01-2012 12:19 PM

Anyone running this cam?

My tuner is recommending a 228/234 .6-ish lift on 111LSA. There don't seem to be many people running this cam who have posted about it online, however. The closest I can find is the Streetsweeper HT, which has a slightly smaller exhaust duration.

Is anyone running this cam on a V or on a similar car? How does it do on our hefty lil bitchez?

Also, any opinions as to why this is or is not a good idea for my setup, would love to hear your opinions. Setup is in my sig, but I'll put it here in case I change my setup, so that dudes in the future can put this in context: 2006 CTS-V with stock LS2 motor, OBX 1 7/8 headers, Lingenfelter CAI, 160 T-stat, UMI motor mounts, ATI Super Damper

And before you say to ask Pat G, I did have him spec a cam (226/230 .598 .609 113+2), but honestly I have not seen great dyno sheets from people who have gone with it. My tuner is good, so I'm probably going to go with his rec, but I'm just curious why I haven't seen more cams like this on Vs-- split duration with low LSAs.

Thanks,
DAC

JJSimon904 10-01-2012 12:37 PM

I put 20,000 miles on a Thunder Racing RapTR cam. 236/242 .615/.615 on 111 in my LS6 and loved every moment of it. It took a bit of tuning to make it traffic-friendly but I did my own tuning so I had plenty of time to make it right going to/from work in it.

Im sure something that had more power down low would be ideal for most people.

DACTARI 10-01-2012 12:45 PM

Originally Posted by JJSimon904 (Post 16772423)

Im sure something that had more power down low would be ideal for most people.

lol, i forgot to state my goals: more power under the curve, without losing power up top, good throttle response.

DMM 10-01-2012 04:43 PM

I would hit up PredatorZ (Mark) on here and ask him...he is a wealth of knowledge (esp regarding cams) and has yet to steer anyone wrong. He'll give you the real deal regarding the spec's, the tuning, and if something else would be better suited to your needs.

DACTARI 10-01-2012 05:21 PM

Originally Posted by DMM (Post 16773074)
I would hit up PredatorZ (Mark) on here and ask him...he is a wealth of knowledge (esp regarding cams) and has yet to steer anyone wrong. He'll give you the real deal regarding the spec's, the tuning, and if something else would be better suited to your needs.

Thanks, I shot him a PM.

Hostile03SVT 10-01-2012 08:57 PM

Originally Posted by DACTARI (Post 16773178)
Thanks, I shot him a PM.

Are you going to do just a cam swap? Let us know what he suggests, I am interested in doing a cam swap myself.

itsslow98 10-01-2012 09:50 PM

That cam will make good power all around and will peak a little quicker because of the 111LSA. It'll have a pretty good lope at idle but a good tuner should have it driving like stock almost. With LSX motors cams for the main part are all gonna have good gains and very similiar gains. 1-2 degrees of duration either way isnt gonna be a huge difference until you get into more max effort setups. You'll have no problem cracking 400rwhp with that cam.

DACTARI 10-02-2012 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by Hostile03SVT (Post 16773845)
Are you going to do just a cam swap? Let us know what he suggests, I am interested in doing a cam swap myself.

Cam, valvesprings, retainers, pushrods. Will let you know if he gets back to me.

Honestly, this is for my own knowledge and understanding. I trust my tuner, though he has a much higher tolerance for agro and noisy than me.

DACTARI 10-02-2012 08:39 AM

Originally Posted by itsslow98 (Post 16774017)
That cam will make good power all around and will peak a little quicker because of the 111LSA. It'll have a pretty good lope at idle but a good tuner should have it driving like stock almost. With LSX motors cams for the main part are all gonna have good gains and very similiar gains. 1-2 degrees of duration either way isnt gonna be a huge difference until you get into more max effort setups. You'll have no problem cracking 400rwhp with that cam.

Thanks, bud. Will the 9 degrees of overlap lead to loss of power below 2K rpm? I spend a lot of time cruising in the city below there to save fuel, in between romps on the pedal.

Where are you located in MD, by the way?

BudRacing 10-02-2012 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by DACTARI (Post 16774930)
Thanks, bud. Will the 9 degrees of overlap lead to loss of power below 2K rpm? I spend a lot of time cruising in the city below there to save fuel, in between romps on the pedal.

LOBE SEPARATION ANGLE EFFECTS
NARROWER LSA:
Increased overlap
Increased low-rpm torque
Narrower powerband
Reduced idle quality
Increased cranking compression
Decreased piston-to-valve clearance

WIDER LSA:
Reduced overlap
Improved top-end power
Wider powerband
Improved idle quality
Reduced cranking compression
Increased piston-to-valve clearance

DACTARI 10-02-2012 01:35 PM

Originally Posted by BudRacing (Post 16774967)
LOBE SEPARATION ANGLE EFFECTS
NARROWER LSA:
Increased overlap
Increased low-rpm torque
Narrower powerband
Reduced idle quality
Increased cranking compression
Decreased piston-to-valve clearance

WIDER LSA:
Reduced overlap
Improved top-end power
Wider powerband
Improved idle quality
Reduced cranking compression
Increased piston-to-valve clearance

Thanks, that's a great little summary. Can you also briefly explain whether overlap or LSA is more important? I know that if I keep the LSA the same, but reduce the duration split, I will reduce the overlap. And it's overlap that is responsible for the increased crank compression, isn't it?

DACTARI 10-03-2012 01:12 PM

Predator-Z got back to me, basically endorsing my tuner's recommendation. However, he did recommend it be installed on a 109 ICL. So that would make it a +2 advance. I will discuss this with my tuner. So the proposed grind is along these lines:

228/234 111 LSA +2

itsslow98 10-03-2012 06:21 PM

Originally Posted by DACTARI (Post 16774930)

The cam I had was 8* of overlap and I thought the car drove like stock honestly. Only time I knew it had a cam was in a parking lot trying to idle through in first gear.

Im in Harford county btw.

DACTARI 10-04-2012 03:10 PM

Whelp, shared the idea of a +2 advance with my tuner and he was like "yeah dude, i'm planning a +3 advance". So yeah, can't beat these guys at their own game.

At the very least, I am even more certain I've got a dope tuner. Hard as hell to get a hold of, but honest, smart as a whip and good at making shit go fast.

DMM 10-05-2012 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by DACTARI (Post 16782629)
Whelp, shared the idea of a +2 advance with my tuner and he was like "yeah dude, i'm planning a +3 advance". So yeah, can't beat these guys at their own game.

At the very least, I am even more certain I've got a dope tuner. Hard as hell to get a hold of, but honest, smart as a whip and good at making shit go fast.

Glad you got the confirmation you were looking for! A cam is a lot of work at significant expense, so you want to make sure you get it right the first time. Predator-Z has proven to be one of many very knowledgeable people on the forums here that openly shares their experiences and knowledge to anyone who inquires. We are all very fortunate for this.

What shop and what tuner are you using?

DACTARI 10-05-2012 06:34 AM

Originally Posted by DMM (Post 16784295)
Glad you got the confirmation you were looking for! A cam is a lot of work at significant expense, so you want to make sure you get it right the first time. Predator-Z has proven to be one of many very knowledgeable people on the forums here that openly shares their experiences and knowledge to anyone who inquires. We are all very fortunate for this.

What shop and what tuner are you using?

Amen to that. Predator z and people like him are an asset to this community.

The shop is PSI in Glen Burnie, MD, and the tuner is the owner Jeff Lowry. Great guy.