Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Chevrolet Corvettes and Independent Rear Suspension - The Power Of Independence - Tec

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2013, 09:03 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chevrolet Corvettes and Independent Rear Suspension - The Power Of Independence - Tec

I thought this was a great article explaining how IRS cars can go fast without breaking the things V's love to break.

http://www.gmhightechperformance.com...ar_suspension/
Old 07-26-2013, 09:55 AM
On The Tree

Swap in an auto and remove all of the rubber driveline isolation, got it.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:35 AM
TECH Resident

Nope you missed it. Swap in a built auto and replace ruber drive line and thin axles.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:24 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Basically, the thing to note (and this goes for every breakable object on your car, including the rotating assembly of your engine) is that manufacturer's component designs are based on calculated steady-state and transient stresses and a design lifetime requirement that the engineers were expected to meet.

The design driver for both electrical and mechanical equipment is almost ALWAYS an anticipated transient condition under the worst-case combination of ambient temperature and cooling conditions (or voltage and frequency conditions).

So, in essence, transient forces are the real killer. Reduce those transients, and although the higher stresses that your modded car is capable of producing will reduce the operating life of your parts, you're unlikely to get the dreaded sudden "snap" and leave a couple thousand dollars worth of carnage on the road behind you.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 07-26-2013 at 12:29 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:35 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
Basically, the thing to note (and this goes for every breakable object on your car, including the rotating assembly of your engine) is that manufacturer's component designs are based on calculated steady-state and transient stresses and a design lifetime requirement that the engineers were expected to meet.

The design driver for both electrical and mechanical equipment is almost ALWAYS an anticipated transient condition under the worst-case combination of ambient temperature and cooling conditions (or voltage and frequency conditions).

So, in essence, transient forces are the real killer. Reduce those transients, and although the higher stresses that your modded car is capable of producing will reduce the operating life of your parts, you're unlikely to get the dreaded sudden "snap" and leave a couple thousand dollars worth of carnage on the road behind you.
In simple terms don't interrupt the flow of torque... Upgrade your suspension and drivetrain before you go apeshit with horsepower
Old 07-26-2013, 04:37 PM
TECH Resident

Just when I thought you couldn't sound any more like a douche lol
Old 07-26-2013, 04:52 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

every time to take a second to grace us with your words it just makes me wish youd die in a fire a little bit more....

and you have a *** load of post
Old 07-27-2013, 02:10 AM
TECH Fanatic

As of today i dont know of any company that doesnt do some level of extreme standing start durability testing. The cts-v was failing at stock power levels, not modded at all. In todays automotive world this is unacceptable and i honestly assume that they just didnt have the budget to sort these things out properly.

Fun fact- the mpc4 12c did standing starts while towing a f150. This is a vehicle that is meant to go around corners and live in a high speed realm, but they dragged a f150 around the hot desert to make sure the drive train was robust. that and those guys have too much fun with their jobs.

another fun fact in an odd way, the cobra ( terminator) did a serious amount of stand launches during its development to fix a drivetrain issue. even thought people complain about them having irs issues, those issues normally come from situations that are outside normal development testing.

When I am out validating features in development vehicles, we have certain test procedures but a good amount of the time we are doing tests which reproduce issues real customers face in addition to trying to find some of the most extreme environments to spend time at. What you said might hold water with people who design motor mounts or something, but at some point you try to break things just to say you can break them and learn how they broke.
Old 07-27-2013, 02:25 AM
Staging Lane

Oh snap!
Old 07-27-2013, 02:34 AM
TECH Fanatic

no ohh snap needed, just pointing out how i see it from my angle. You can design a part for many things but real life throws all that out of the water once people start driving them in development.

those guys are the customers first line of defense when it comes to seeing what works and fails. If you just rely upon what a calculation says without turning a wheel in anger you have failed and your customers will suffer.
Old 07-27-2013, 05:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by runsfromdacops
every time to take a second to grace us with your words it just makes me wish youd die in a fire a little bit more....

That's because one of us has a 158 IQ, and one of us belongs in this movie:

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
no ohh snap needed, just pointing out how i see it from my angle. You can design a part for many things but real life throws all that out of the water once people start driving them in development.

those guys are the customers first line of defense when it comes to seeing what works and fails. If you just rely upon what a calculation says without turning a wheel in anger you have failed and your customers will suffer.
Given the radical reinvention of Cadillac in the 2002-2003 timeframe, I'm not surprised that the CTS-V has the number of bugs that it does. Ironically, some of the real bugs (e.g. the sloppy rubber mounts) appear to have been introduced by GM upper management, not engineering. Since GM basically put the basic CTS in the hands of their performance division and said "give me a 400 HP version of this that looks cool," it must've felt like management yanked the rug out from under those guys.

What surprises me is GM's reaction to complaints about the drivetrain. They've got some very smart guys up there in legal--with only about a thousand or so sold each year (less than 0.5% of their CTS sales), I think the chances of a class action suit was considered to be remote. Therefore, no recall was necessary. A gamble, but a well-calculated one.

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 07-27-2013 at 06:13 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I loled! Nothin against you Fuzzy, but that shiz is funny.

And...."but, brawndo has electolytes, it's what plants crave!"
Old 07-27-2013, 08:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by NIKDSC5
"...but, brawndo has electolytes, it's what plants crave!"

Last edited by FuzzyLog1c; 07-27-2013 at 08:53 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 09:32 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

no need to post that video, that is one of my favorites ever.
Old 07-27-2013, 12:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Originally Posted by tommycompton
Just when I thought you couldn't sound any more like a douche lol

Did he go back and ninja-edit his post, because I don't see anything that should have prompted such moronic comments.

That's because one of us has a 158 IQ, and one of us belongs in this movie:
Now, that, on the other hand... Wait, I guess I should be ing that score!

What surprises me is GM's reaction to complaints about the drivetrain. They've got some very smart guys up there in legal--with only about a thousand or so sold each year (less than 0.5% of their CTS sales)...
Production of CTS-Vs was about 2-1/2 times that. I would think someone with a 158 IQ would know such a thing.

I think the chances of a class action suit was considered to be remote. Therefore, no recall was necessary. A gamble, but a well-calculated one.
No gamble required - recalls are for safety-related defects. Breaking your diff leaving a stop light too hard isn't a safety issue. Not to mention that I think forums like these tend to exaggerate the prevalence of problems.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:10 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by AAIIIC
Did he go back and ninja-edit his post, because I don't see anything that should have prompted such moronic comments.

Production of CTS-Vs was about 2-1/2 times that. I would think someone with a 158 IQ would know such a thing.
No ninja edits were made. That post was allllll him.

And thanks for the correction--being intelligent doesn't mean that I know my facts on any given subject. FWIW, I did a quick check against Wikipedia and couldn't find the sales numbers. Had to try my memory. So... in summary, I'm capable of sounding just as retarded as anyone else (which, because of my attitude, which makes it sound a million times worse).
Old 07-27-2013, 11:36 PM
TECH Fanatic

the cts-v has zero saftey defects if i recall so there is no reason for a recall. Also Gm and any other manf only cares about people who buy new vehicles. The first gen cts-v is probably 4 generations old so why should people complaining about motor mounts or other wear items? and the diff issue is mostly noise based when you look outside of forums.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:43 AM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Terry Crews for President FTW!
Old 07-28-2013, 05:23 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by liqidvenom
the cts-v has zero saftey defects if i recall so there is no reason for a recall. Also Gm and any other manf only cares about people who buy new vehicles. The first gen cts-v is probably 4 generations old so why should people complaining about motor mounts or other wear items? and the diff issue is mostly noise based when you look outside of forums.
The differential brings up a common mindset I see, that appears to be unique to enthusiast forums--no matter what the car/truck/bike/boat is, the enthusaists know what breaks, how to break it, and think that everyone also breaks theirs.

A common one is the GM 10-bolt rear and 8.25" front on the half-ton trucks. If you took the small sample size of complainers who have blown up their half-ton differentials, you'd think that everyone with a GM truck had the same thing happen, when in all reality it's a very small--albeit very vocal--part of an otherwise large base of owners who *haven't* had any problems.
Old 07-29-2013, 11:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

GO AWAY! Baitin'!

Quick Reply: Chevrolet Corvettes and Independent Rear Suspension - The Power Of Independence - Tec