Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Gathering info/evidence for H&R Springs complaint re: too much drop

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 05:26 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gathering info/evidence for H&R Springs complaint re: too much drop

Hey everyone. About a year and a half ago I installed a set of H&R Sport srings and had all kinds of issues with the immediate drop being well over the advertised amount. This contributed to fitment issues with my new wheels/tires at the time as well; but this thread is stricly about the H&R springs.

I've decided to make a call to H&R's customer service in an effort to be provided with a new set of springs (at least just a rear set), because now that a year-and-a-half or so has passed since I originally installed these things, they've begun to "settle" to all new lows, so to speak.

I have my mightmouse shock spacers set up so that the Nivomats pump me back up to a reasonable ride height (after a mile or so of driving), but without them kicking in to raise things up a bit, these springs have dropped my rear end a good 2", and likely more. After the car's sat in the garage for the night, my rear tires are tucked up into the fenders by a good half inch or so...and that's with a top AND bottom rubber spacer on each spring that each measure about 3/8" thick!! I'd hate to see how low things would be sitting without these spacers installed!

Anyway, I believe that there were issues with the paticular manufacturing run that a number of us received our products from, and I believe that H&R should come good on their warranty for those of us who are experiencing issues due to the more-than-advertised drop.

I realize that some of you might actually LIKE the extra drop, but even if you fit into that category, I would still appreciate you posting a quick note here to state how much of a drop you wound up with (as compared to the 1"-1.5" claim).

John from H&R's customer service dep't has asked that I email him a link to any thread(s) that indicate that this is more than just an isolated issue with my product, so I thought that starting a thread like this would be the perfect spot to direct him to.

So whether you have specific measurements, pictures, or just a story to tell, please post up with your H&R Sport Spring lowering experiences.

Thanks!!
Old 08-29-2013, 07:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The only thing keeping me from ordering them is they are too low of a drop. About a half inch up front and 1.25" int the back would be ideal I believe for a daily driven car. Most who want it slammed would get coilovers.
Old 08-29-2013, 09:32 PM
TECH Resident

Guys - I'm only looking for folks to post up if they've EXPERIENCED h&r springs dropping their rear suspension more than the 1" claim. Please don't clutter the thread with random statements about what you've heard and so on.
Again, I'd like to be able to use this thread to direct the h&r rep to, to illustrate that this is a common problem and not just an isolated incident. Thanks!
Old 08-30-2013, 08:55 AM
Teching In

Mine is lower than it's supposed to. I don't have "before" measurements or pictures because i bought the car with the springs installed.
Old 08-30-2013, 12:25 PM
TECH Resident

Thanks nick-v. Happen to have a pic that illustrates how low the back is?
Old 08-30-2013, 01:17 PM
Launching!

H&R are just going to blame the spacers I see it coming a mile away.
Old 08-30-2013, 05:51 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ravenls6v
H&R are just going to blame the spacers I see it coming a mile away.
This. Anytime you modify a product to perform in a way it was not intended to and then claim warranty when it fails to perform or breaks it is the users fault. H&R did not include spacers and they probably tested and made the decision to sell the kits as per for a reason. You're better off just picking up a new set of springs and saving your time and efforts here.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:06 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Dmax/04V
This. Anytime you modify a product to perform in a way it was not intended to and then claim warranty when it fails to perform or breaks it is the users fault. H&R did not include spacers and they probably tested and made the decision to sell the kits as per for a reason. You're better off just picking up a new set of springs and saving your time and efforts here.

There's minimal effort in trying and the worst answer you'll get is "no". I'd be extremely surprised if new ones yielded any different of a result.
Old 08-30-2013, 07:36 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by EdmundGTP
There's minimal effort in trying and the worst answer you'll get is "no". I'd be extremely surprised if new ones yielded any different of a result.
If new ones don't yield any difference then what exactly is the point of said trying, you just busted your own *****...
Old 08-30-2013, 07:57 PM
Launching!

If new ones don't yield any difference then what exactly is the point of said trying, you just busted your own *****...
It's pure speculation by the OP at this point that new production runs will perform any better than the old ones. All I said was I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

If current production springs have the same problems, and H&R will recognize that they perform "out of advertised spec" then maybe they'll issue a recall, or refund/credit, etc. Who knows...

The point of trying is that if you try, there's a POSSIBILITY of improving your situation somehow.. If you DONT try then there's NO possibility of improving ANYTHING...

Possibility of SOMETHING vs. GUARANTEED NOTHING

There IS a difference there.

Not sure why this concept is difficult to grasp these days...
Old 08-30-2013, 08:09 PM
TECH Resident

The point is that the op has not been using these springs as intended by the OEM, said spacers. If the OP had been using them with no spacers and there was an issue I would say go for it, but this is like buying a set of high end heads and then doing a home port job and complaining when it doesn't work right.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:19 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Dmax/04V
The point is that the op has not been using these springs as intended by the OEM, said spacers. If the OP had been using them with no spacers and there was an issue I would say go for it, but this is like buying a set of high end heads and then doing a home port job and complaining when it doesn't work right.
Whether or not the use of spacers is deemed relevant by H&R has yet to be determined. There are probably individuals who installed the springs WITHOUT spacers and had similar excessive drop results, which is the point of OP collecting info to form a case..

I don't have high hopes that H&R will actually do anything to rectify OP's situation, but I give him credit for trying, and will support him with my own experience with the product.

Again. Possible something vs. guaranteed nothing..
Old 08-30-2013, 08:21 PM
Launching!

It's pure speculation by the OP at this point that new production runs will perform any better than the old ones. All I said was I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't.

If current production springs have the same problems, and H&R will recognize that they perform "out of advertised spec" then maybe they'll issue a recall, or refund/credit, etc. Who knows...

The point of trying is that if you try, there's a POSSIBILITY of improving your situation somehow.. If you DONT try then there's NO possibility of improving ANYTHING...

Possibility of SOMETHING vs. GUARANTEED NOTHING

There IS a difference there.

Not sure why this concept is difficult to grasp these days...
Once again...when you add a component not included with the original product and then complain that the product is not working as intended the company will 999 times out of 1000 relieve themselves of all responsibility because you used other than included products with said original product. The h&r springs DO NOT lower the rear of the car too much without the addition of the mighty mouse spacers....so tell me, why the hell would h&r give two ***** about a problem they themselves did not create? Answer is...they won't. They have your money already why would they give it back because you added a seperate component that created a problem that is not there with their springs alone. But go ahead and hold your breath...just sit down first so you don't bump your head on the way down.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:23 PM
Launching!

Once again...when you add a component not included with the original product and then complain that the product is not working as intended the company will 999 times out of 1000 relieve themselves of all responsibility because you used other than included products with said original product. The h&r springs DO NOT lower the rear of the car too much without the addition of the mighty mouse spacers....so tell me, why the hell would h&r give two ***** about a problem they themselves did not create? Answer is...they won't. They have your money already why would they give it back because you added a seperate component that created a problem that is not there with their springs alone. But go ahead and hold your breath...just sit down first so you don't bump your head on the way down.
Please provide a reference...
Old 08-30-2013, 08:25 PM
Launching!

Whether or not the use of spacers is deemed relevant by H&R has yet to be determined. There are probably individuals who installed the springs WITHOUT spacers and had similar excessive drop results, which is the point of OP collecting info to form a case..

I don't have high hopes that H&R will actually do anything to rectify OP's situation, but I give him credit for trying, and will support him with my own experience with the product.

Again. Possible something vs. guaranteed nothing..
There is no excessive drop without the rear spacers...I.e. the reason the spacers exist.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:37 PM
Launching!

Please provide a reference...
[IMG][/IMG]

h&r springs...no mighty mouse spacers. forum members car.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:11 PM
TECH Resident

Some of you people just cant keep your mouths shut, can ya? Dont you think I realize that there's a possibility that they'll (h&r) do nothing?? Of course that's possible. I'd prefer to find that out for a fact rather than just speculate though. Not many people seem to bother with considering a "greater good" anymore...that's what this is though. I'm trying to make h&r aware that their product does not perform to spec. If their made aware of this, maybe, just maybe, they'd come good on their mistake(s) and make things right for those affected. Heaven forbid someone try.

Also...Jesus Christ guys... Do a little research or have a little experience before you start spouting off about cause and effect of given components.
#1 - shock mount relocation spacers DO NOT DIRECTLY EFFECT THE RIDE HEIGHT OF THE VEHICLE. Since when does a SHOCK determine the ride height (unless its bottoming out)? The only thing these spacers do is PREVENT THE AUTO-LEVELING NIVOMAT SHOCKS FROM PUMPING THE SUSPENSION BACK UP TO ORIGINAL RIDE HEIGHT. The Nivomats treat a lowering spring exactly the same way as if you were towing a boat or had 500+ pounds of cargo in the trunk/back seat. Don't install these spacers and (if your shocks are working correctly) a few miles down the road your rear suspension will be riding back at near-oem ride height.

Raven - the above explanation is exactly why the picture you referenced looks like a reasonable ride height. He didnt have shock spacers installed and he had obviously driven that car to that location. It likely hadn't sat there for hours; which would have allowed the Nivomats to settle. Without the Nivomats settling, this does not exhibit the true ride height of the springs.

#2 - the spacers I've referred to in my OP are actually spacers I've added to the tops and bottoms of my rear spring perches. Not shock mount spacers. Edmund and I (and a few others followed suit later on, i believe) both did this to gain at least some of the rear ride height back, so there wasn't a "reverse rake" look with the rear being lower than the front. I also had to install these to afford some clearance for my plus sized tires/wheels.

Regardless, a donkey or two have completely ruined this thread for the purposes it was intended. Why would I bother referring an H&R rep to a thread where "my people" are opposing me?

Unless a mod can/will delete the posts that don't contribute anything to the OP, this thing might as well get locked up and left to die.

Last edited by wes8398; 08-31-2013 at 06:25 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:23 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wes8398
Some of you people just cant keep your mouths shut, can ya? Dont you think I realize that there's a possibility that they'll (h&r) do nothing?? Of course that's possible. I'd prefer to find that out for a fact rather than just speculate though. Not many people seem to bother with considering a "greater good" anymore...that's what this is though. I'm trying to make h&r aware that their product does not perform to spec. If their made aware of this, maybe, just maybe, they'd come good on their mistake(s) and make things right for those affected. Heaven forbid someone try.

Also...Jesus Christ guys... Do a little research or have a little experience before you start spouting off about cause and effect of given components.
#1 - shock mount relocation spacers DO NOT DIRECTLY EFFECT THE RIDE HEIGHT OF THE VEHICLE. Since when does a SHOCK determine the ride height (unless its bottoming out)? The only thing these spacers do is PREVENT THE AUTO-LEVELING NIVOMAT SHOCKS FROM PUMPING THE SUSPENSION BACK UP TO ORIGINAL RIDE HEIGHT. The Nivomats treat a lowering spring exactly the same way as if you were towing a boat or had 500+ pounds of cargo in the trunk/back seat. Don't install these spacers and (if your shocks are working correctly) a few miles down the road your rear suspension will be riding back at near-oem ride height.

Raven - the above explanation is exactly why the picture you referenced looks like a reasonable ride height. That person had obviously driven that car to that location. It likely hadn't sat there for hours; which would have allowed the Nivomats to settle, thus showing the true ride height those springs result in.

#2 - the spacers I've referred to in my OP are actually spacers I've added to the tops and bottoms of my rear spring perches. Not shock mount spacers. Edmund and I (and a few others followed suit later on, i believe) both did this to gain at least some of the rear ride height back, so there wasn't a "reverse rake" look with the rear being lower than the front. I also had to install these to afford some clearance for my plus sized tires/wheels.

Regardless, a donkey or two have completely ruined this thread for the purposes it was intended. Why would I bother referring an H&R rep to a thread where "my people" are opposing me?

Unless a mod can/will delete the posts that don't contribute anything to the OP, this thing might as well get locked up and left to die.
The auto leveling feature of the shocks is what you are pointing at causing the problems here...what does that have to do with the springs?

Last edited by ravenls6v; 08-31-2013 at 09:03 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 06:34 PM
TECH Resident

No spacers huh? First sentence third paragraph of OP...I have my mighty mouse spacers...
Well excuse me...I've mentioned BOTH types of spacers. I spoke mostly of the SPRING spacers though. Not shock

let's see your car pump up to that level with spacers in it...I'll wait
That's exactly what I'm saying! My car WON'T pump up like that. And it isn't supposed to!! Did you even read my post?

The springs are supposed to drop the car 1" in the rear... Not drop it 2.5" and then depend on (and add extra wear n tear/stress) to your auot-leveling shocks to bring it up an inch and a half!

Get your head out of your *** and use some logic here. H&R did not engineer these springs around auto-leveling shocks. They don't even know our vehicles are equipped with such equipment! Other members have been told by h&r that these springs actually aren't intended to work with auto-leveling shocks. Yet, they market them for the cts-v. Know a V without Nivomats? Don't think so...

Last edited by wes8398; 08-31-2013 at 06:47 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 09:12 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by wes8398
Well excuse me...I've mentioned BOTH types of spacers. I spoke mostly of the SPRING spacers though. Not shock

That's exactly what I'm saying! My car WON'T pump up like that. And it isn't supposed to!! Did you even read my post?

The springs are supposed to drop the car 1" in the rear... Not drop it 2.5" and then depend on (and add extra wear n tear/stress) to your auot-leveling shocks to bring it up an inch and a half!

Get your head out of your *** and use some logic here. H&R did not engineer these springs around auto-leveling shocks. They don't even know our vehicles are equipped with such equipment! Other members have been told by h&r that these springs actually aren't intended to work with auto-leveling shocks. Yet, they market them for the cts-v. Know a V without Nivomats? Don't think so...
Since my head is in my *** and you've called out a large company then what is specifically wrong with the springs and what exactly should h&r do to fix the problem?

Last edited by ravenls6v; 08-31-2013 at 10:28 PM.

Quick Reply: Gathering info/evidence for H&R Springs complaint re: too much drop