Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Any interest in aluminum shifter bushings (in lieu of the "Home Depot mod")?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2013, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 106 Likes on 88 Posts

Question Any interest in aluminum shifter bushings (in lieu of the "Home Depot mod")?

My car's at a shop now getting a new slave cylinder, and while the transmission is out I snagged the shifter mechanism off of it to do the "Home Depot mod" with the plastic bushings. A couple days later in a thread on corner-carvers.com I saw pics of a GT500's shifter mechanism with aluminum bushings installed. I'm not sure non-members can see the pics on cc.com, so here's how they look:

(That's actually a Boss 302S transmission in that last pic, but you can see it appears to use the same type of pin with the locking clip on it to attach the forward end of the shifter arms to the transmission.)

I PM'd the guy who makes the bushings and he said the measurements don't quite match up. However, if there's enough interest, he said he could do 10 sets or so for the CTS-V. The GT500 bushings go for ~$60, so that's what we'd be looking at.

My guess is most folks will be happy sticking with the "Home Depot mod", but I figured I would post up and see if anyone was interested. Some of you I'm sure have already seen this over on cadillacforums.com, but I wanted to get those who don't frequent both forums.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:56 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Um....duh!
Old 11-02-2013, 09:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I think you guys need to try the Home Depot mod before you go off spending $60 to "not" say that you bought and used something from Home Depot on your car. Once cut to length, the bushings fit like they were designed for our linkage. There really isn't an upgrade path from there.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:10 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^^ Says the guy who experiments incessantly with mods.

To be honest, I would have tossed some custom bushings in there before the Home Depot stuff. But since I do have the Home Depot bushings in there...they work, I love it and not changing it!
Old 11-02-2013, 10:40 PM
TECH Addict

I have the home depot mod as well, and love it. The aluminim pieces would just be peace of mind that they will not melt, crack, and degrade with time. With constant heat cycles put on the depot pvc pieces I do expect them to fail eventually. 60$ would be well worth it imo to not have to pull the trans. Not that its hard but I only plan on removing it once more so.....
Old 11-03-2013, 09:33 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Having just installed a set of plastic Carlon bushings last week and being impressed with the fit, I'd be hard pressed to spend any more than $40 on a machined version of the same thing. It's the one part that the automotive gods smiled upon us with, saving a few precious pennies.
Old 11-06-2013, 08:37 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think we can all agree that if the shifter felt like it should we would all be willing to buy the parts necessary. we need a final solution to fix it. few companies out there make shifters that bolt into the trans with out a linkage... why cant they make one for us
Old 08-17-2016, 08:55 AM

where can I buy This whole gear shifter?
Old 08-17-2016, 11:37 AM
Launching!

Holy old thread trawling...

This discussion was based on the weak bushings in our shifters. And now based on the age of the thread

1. Hardware store fix
or
2. https://creative-steel.com/shop/04-0...fter-bushings/

Are your likely next moves... and pick a short throw while you're putting it under the knife.
Old 08-17-2016, 07:45 PM
TECH Addict

Those bushing you linked aren't the same one that are being discussed in this thread.

Quick Reply: Any interest in aluminum shifter bushings (in lieu of the "Home Depot mod")?