Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Comp lsr cam

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2013, 07:06 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Comp lsr cam

Alright so I have been looking at cams for a while now . I am leaning towards a comps cam lsr 54-459-11 and I was wondering if anyone else was running one in their v or something similar . And I've also read about lsr cams being hard on Valve train parts . Any input would be appreciated.
Old 11-04-2013, 08:27 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do yourself a favor and hit up Martin Smallwood (Tick Performance). That is not a daily drivable cam.
Old 11-04-2013, 09:51 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by DMM
Do yourself a favor and hit up Martin Smallwood (Tick Performance). That is not a daily drivable cam.
I'd have to disagree with you on that. I daily drove mine for over a year and it drove absolutely perfect. 231/239 with a good tuner would be just fine. Depending on your goals it may not be the best speced cam for you. I will say that my cam was ground on LSR lobes and the valvetrain was really loud compared to the bigger cam in my 93 notchback that had LSL lobes.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:39 AM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by DMM
What makes it unusable for a daily ?? Can you elaborate ?? I was told it would be fine. I know it is a lil on the bigger side, I told them I am willing to sacrifice a lil driveability
Old 11-05-2013, 08:42 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea I daily drive mine with a slightly bigger cam then that.
I would recommend getting one spec'd out to your likings/wants/needs tho.
Old 11-05-2013, 08:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

231/239 is a very suitable came for a daily driver. I DD'd a TSP MS3 which is 237/242 and it was very solid.

However the duration at .050 is 231/239, the duration at the lift of the cam (.617/.624) is 281/289, which is way too big for any car you ever plan on driving.

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...csid=1403&sb=0

Although I did just wake up, so there could be something I am missing.
Old 11-05-2013, 01:27 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by itsslow98
I'd have to disagree with you on that. I daily drove mine for over a year and it drove absolutely perfect. 231/239 with a good tuner would be just fine. Depending on your goals it may not be the best speced cam for you. I will say that my cam was ground on LSR lobes and the valvetrain was really loud compared to the bigger cam in my 93 notchback that had LSL lobes.
Interesting you mention that as the LSR camshafts are ground on LSL lobes.

Originally Posted by RADEoN
231/239 is a very suitable came for a daily driver. I DD'd a TSP MS3 which is 237/242 and it was very solid.

However the duration at .050 is 231/239, the duration at the lift of the cam (.617/.624) is 281/289, which is way too big for any car you ever plan on driving.

http://www.compcams.com/Company/CC/c...csid=1403&sb=0

Although I did just wake up, so there could be something I am missing.
281/289 is the camshafts duration from .006" lobe lift on the opening ramp to .006" lobe lift on the closing ramp. .006" lobe lift with a 1.7 rocker equates to roughly .010" valve lift. So at .010" valve lift to .010" valve lift the camshaft has 281/289 degrees of duration.

You'd need to know the rated duration at .363" intake lobe lift and .367" exhaust lobe lift to determine duration at maximum valve lift.
Old 11-05-2013, 04:51 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

In the end it really depends what you're looking for. I really feel that a lot of vendors (Lingenfelter, etc) have done a disservice by recommending these extremely aggressive lobe profiles to everyone, Cart Blanche.

These aggressive lobes arrive at max lift sooner and hold it longer then snap closed compared to less aggressive designs. They make more power at the expense of literally beating the **** out of every valvetrain component. If you choose the wrong parts (valve springs, rocker arms, etc), you have the real potential to break valve springs, vault the push rods, and even wipe a cam lobe.

Don't get me wrong, if you're looking for a max effort cam, then you'll be fine (given you choose the correct supporting components). However, if you plan on daily driving something like this you really need to weigh the benefits against the risks. I spoke to a few vendors before going with the cam I have now as this was a concern of mine. I spoke with Brian Tooley about this at great length, expressed my concerns, and ultimately went with BTR for my cam, springs, lifters, etc.

I would suggest you actually speak to someone knowledgeable about what you're looking for from a performance/drivability perspective rather than being fixated on cam spec's themselves. Here are the top five LSX Cam guru's IMO (not ranking mind you, just listing):

- Tony Mammo
- Brian Tooley
- Martin Smallwood
- Pat G
- Ed Curtis
Old 11-05-2013, 05:09 PM
On The Tree

Thanks dmm my brother actually sells comp cams and also told me to look at Btr cams as he also reccomended Brian's springs , I was just looking for a "shelf" cam I didn't figure I needed one specd for me , when I was discussing the cam with Chris I told him I wanted it to sound mean and hateful and make power and that I was also willing to give up some drive ability I just don't want something that's gonna tear up the valve train parts
Old 11-05-2013, 05:20 PM
DMM
TECH Fanatic

While Brian and his products are excellent, I would not discount Martin. As you can see by his presence in your thread, he's very active with his customers and has a few build threads making serious power. You honestly cannot go wrong either way.

In the end, you'll find that you can have these guys spec something for your needs for the same price of a shelf cam.
Old 11-05-2013, 07:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

i am real damn heavyset
Old 11-05-2013, 09:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Interesting you mention that as the LSR camshafts are ground on LSL lobes.
I may be mistaken with the lobes on the 234/246 cam. It was speced out by EPS dont they use their own lobe design? Is it LSL or LSK?
Old 11-05-2013, 11:06 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by DMM
While Brian and his products are excellent, I would not discount Martin. As you can see by his presence in your thread, he's very active with his customers and has a few build threads making serious power. You honestly cannot go wrong either way.
I have done a lot of looking so far for my build for next year. Looking at different vendors, looking at different parts. But for some reason my phone and computer browsers always wind up on Tick's website. Maybe its because of the reputation of the place, maybe its because a local buddy of mine has a nasty ******* of a trans am. I believe he procured most of his parts after talking with Martin. He is going to give me a hand installing all the parts on the V next year. He has a lot more expertise with these motors than I do. But all the parts are going to come from Tick performance. I think Martin has me hooked on a set of trick flow as cast 220cc heads, I just need to figure out how mean I want to be to the valvetrain. Thinking Tick SNS stage 2 milder. For my cam. Its a daily driver so I want to maintain reasonable longevity of the valvetrain componentry.
Old 11-06-2013, 04:09 PM
FormerVendor

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DMM

In the end, you'll find that you can have these guys spec something for your needs for the same price of a shelf cam.
I appreciate your notion, but I have a long way to go before I can be considered with those you mentioned.

Maybe it's just how I view it, but I am flattered.
Originally Posted by itsslow98
I may be mistaken with the lobes on the 234/246 cam. It was speced out by EPS dont they use their own lobe design? Is it LSL or LSK?
I would then say yes, EPS lobes. That is if @.050" the I/E duration was 234/246.

Comp kind of confuses the masses with the LSr series as they mention in magazines and ads that they use "LSr" lobes, but really they're LSL lobes. I would think though that comp probably designed the LSL lobes to be used in the "LSr" line of camshafts.
Originally Posted by ryridesmotox
I have done a lot of looking so far for my build for next year. Looking at different vendors, looking at different parts. But for some reason my phone and computer browsers always wind up on Tick's website. Maybe its because of the reputation of the place, maybe its because a local buddy of mine has a nasty ******* of a trans am. I believe he procured most of his parts after talking with Martin. He is going to give me a hand installing all the parts on the V next year. He has a lot more expertise with these motors than I do. But all the parts are going to come from Tick performance. I think Martin has me hooked on a set of trick flow as cast 220cc heads, I just need to figure out how mean I want to be to the valvetrain. Thinking Tick SNS stage 2 milder. For my cam. Its a daily driver so I want to maintain reasonable longevity of the valvetrain componentry.
Would the owner of that Trans Am happen to be James or Clayton? Those guys are always drumming up business for me haha!

Good guys for sure!
Old 11-06-2013, 05:43 PM
TECH Resident

Talking

Originally Posted by johnny2343
Alright so I have been looking at cams for a while now . I am leaning towards a comps cam lsr 54-459-11 and I was wondering if anyone else was running one in their v or something similar . And I've also read about lsr cams being hard on Valve train parts . Any input would be appreciated.
There are other sources for camshaft lobes other than a Comp Cams spread sheet.
Old 11-06-2013, 05:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Martin@Tick
Would the owner of that Trans Am happen to be James or Clayton? Those guys are always drumming up business for me haha!

Good guys for sure!
James. I asked him what he thinks I should do with my heads... PRC or Trick Flows and the cam. He straight up said call Martin. I was like, "Yea I'm gonna but I asked so you would volunteer to help"... Lol they are both really good guys for sure.
Old 11-07-2013, 05:19 PM
On The Tree

So what do we think of the Btr stage 3 ??

Quick Reply: Comp lsr cam