Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Service AC System

Old 12-14-2012, 03:22 PM
sod
Staging Lane

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Service AC System

Hey guys,

I'm getting a "Service AC System" message every time I start the car, starting last weekend.

My initial research indicates this could be a broken sensor wire to the high pressure switch.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...-location.html

attached are a couple pictures of my engine bay...can anyone confirm or deny that this is the sensor I'm looking for?

It's on the driver's side of the engine bay & the wiring harness runs under the drivers side of the engine cover.

a couple of the posts in that thread suggest that the sensor is at the bottom of the firewall, but I looked (from the top) & couldn't see anything down there.

Hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Thanks & have a good weekend!
Attached Thumbnails Service AC System-photo.jpg   Service AC System-image.jpeg  

Last edited by sod; 12-14-2012 at 03:24 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-18-2012, 06:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

That is where my wire was broken, it trailed down to where it branches from the throttle body, and there was a split wire there. I soldered it, cleared my codes, and it repaired it.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Staging Lane

I'm glad my thread might help someone out. My problem was the pig tail that comes off of the high pressure switch, not the actual switch itself. Your pics are right where my problem was. I would try replacing it first since it is only a 40 dollar part, and you won't even have to recharge the system. I can't even tell you how much I spent on mine trouble shooting and all it was was that damn little connector. I looked for a part number for you but cant find it. I know I found one online for around 40 somewhere.
Old 12-19-2012, 06:10 PM
Staging Lane

http://compare.ebay.com/like/1208918...Types&var=sbar

That might work
Old 01-29-2013, 05:51 PM
sod
Staging Lane

Default fixed!

I just wanted to thank everyone for their help in resolving this issue.

I replaced the pigtail & cleared the code & my AC is back.

My wire was broken (the orange/black wire) at the pigtail & not broken completely off, but I could see a little copper thru the insulation.

I cut off the pigtail & about 8 inches of wire & soldered in the new pigtail.

I cleared the code in the "Engine/PCM" section in the scantool (couldn't find any codes in the Climate Control section, but I did find "Pressure Sensor - Fail")

Once the code was cleared, the AC starting working, but not before.

Thanks again.
Attached Thumbnails Service AC System-fail.jpg   Service AC System-solder.jpg   Service AC System-ok.jpg   Service AC System-shrink.jpg  
Old 01-30-2013, 11:18 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It appears the wiring fix has already been applied to mine. However, I got the message recently too. I took it in for a diagnostic because I don't have time to chase A/C problems at the moment. Their assessment was leaking schrader valves at the fill points and are replacing them as I'm typing this. I don't know if it'll be 100% fixed, but I'm keeping my fingers crossed. I'm moving to Miami this weekend and I'll need my A/C ASAP down there.

edit: Just received a phone call and now they say that the pigtail needs to be replaced. Looks like I should have stumbled on this thread yesterday .

Last edited by BudRacing; 01-30-2013 at 02:22 PM.
Old 01-30-2013, 04:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

whoa what brand scanner is that
Old 01-31-2013, 08:46 PM
Launching!

Awesome I have been getting this code on and off for a couple of months and because it isnt too bad in NE I have just been lazy about fixing it. I find if I leave the A/C off for a week or two it dissapears then I can use the A/C perfectly fine for a day and then it comes back the next. Looks like I will be checking out that connector.

SOD: Where did you order the pigtail from?
Old 02-01-2013, 02:21 PM
sod
Staging Lane

I ordered the pigtail from the ebay link above, posted by bigirishlt1. I tried to dig up a GM part number first & check pricing, but was never able to find the part number. The ebay pigtail looked great, btw.

The scanner is a OTC Nemisys. It belongs to a buddy of mine who was nice enough to let me borrow it. I don't know much about it, but it seems like a nice scanner. I can read & clear codes with it, as well as monitor tons of stuff. Lots of menus to navigate...it took me forever to find my code until I went in thru the Engine/PCM menu & finally found it there.

Oh, just an FYI, when my Service AC System message started popping up, it consistently came up every time I turned the key to "on". It was not intermittent in my case.
Attached Thumbnails Service AC System-scanner.jpg   Service AC System-otc-nemisys.jpg  
Old 02-01-2013, 07:08 PM
Launching!

That scanner looks nice! I have a cheapo autolite one. I will take a look at the pigtail this weekend and if the connections look loose I will order that one and solder it in
Old 06-15-2013, 08:11 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by RADEoN
That is where my wire was broken, it trailed down to where it branches from the throttle body, and there was a split wire there. I soldered it, cleared my codes, and it repaired it.
Radeon can you give me a pic of where about the wire was split. I am having the same issue and I went all the way back to where the wire splits off into 3 sections (the 3 connectors). I can not seem to find any issue with the wires. They seem to be fine. Is it possible the connector has malfunctioned and getting a new connector would fix this? I am going to try and find a place that can clear the code. My scan tool does not even see an error code ( I have a cheap one it just scans the pcm i think).
Old 06-15-2013, 08:46 PM
Staging Lane

My cheap walmart scanner wouldn't read the ac code but it would clear it out. If the wires look fine it might be the sensor itself. Have you replaced it?
Old 06-16-2013, 01:36 AM
Launching!

I just checked the sensor today it looked ok as well as the wires.

I ordered this sensor this evening.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/121121764340...84.m1423.l2649

I figured I would do the same as SOD just solder it in about 8 inches down then reset the PCM if my cheap autolite one will do it. It can clear codes but my scanner does not register there even is a code im assuming the same type of crappy scanner as yours bigirishlt1.

Once I receive the part I will install it clear it and keep everyone updated.

Thanks for the input guys
Old 06-16-2013, 10:19 AM
Staging Lane

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=5336075431-20

You might need this (The switch itself) if the pigtail doesn't fix your problem. I wouldn't replace the switch unless you have to cause once you take the old one out you will have to refill the ac system.
Old 06-16-2013, 09:15 PM
Launching!

Yea I am hoping it is just the electrical connector and not the actual switch itself
Old 06-21-2013, 07:26 PM
Launching!

I want to thank everyone in this thread that gave any information or advice. I went ahead and swapped the switch today and then reset the codes. I am using a bluetooth elm OBD2 connector and the torque app. Quite nifty actually. I spliced the new connect about 6 inches down plugged it in and reset the codes. Ice Cold A/C again.

I could not see any sort of break in the connectors. I think pulled back the orange colored grommet and noticed the wire was bent and very flimsy. I assume it just wore over time and broke off inside the wire shielding.
Old 09-03-2013, 09:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Searched!

I am having the same issue after replacing my headers.

Pulled all of the tape and loom off the wires and they look go back to the junction.

Any clue what volts or ohms those wires should have with the engine running?

I would like to test before I replace.

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-04-2013, 06:13 PM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Any clue guys.

I want air.
Old 09-04-2013, 07:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Another problem is also the typical ground issue.

Ever since I bought my car, I would get "service a/c system" and it would not read the outside ambient air temperature sensor.

Just another thing that could cause those issues *shrug*
Old 09-04-2013, 08:06 PM
Launching!

my wires also looked great i replaced it as there was a break inside of the wire. It felt ever so slightly more brittle. Again i pulled it apart and it looked great but, replaced it anyways and when i pulled the wire apart i saw how brittle it really was.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Service AC System