Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

What did you do to your V today?

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2018, 07:15 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

Radiator is in and solid.

Only complaint is that I didn't use G13+ again. Temps are higher than when I ran it.

Install is solid, and AC works better than it did previously in the new location.

Old 11-07-2018, 01:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 107 Likes on 89 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Went out yesterday evening to reinstall my back seat, which I had taken out for my October track event and haven't gotten around to reinstalling. Opened the rear passenger door and was delighted to find the lower seat shelf area on the passenger side full of water, apparently due to sunroof drain leakage. We've had a ton of rain recently; I suppose it was fortunate I hadn't gotten off my *** to reinstall the back seat yet, because the bottom cushion would've been pretty water-logged!

I'm still not really sure where the water was coming out. The passenger sail panel was very wet, and the headliner directly above the sail panel was wet. But the wet area on the headliner appeared to be due to moisture wicking up from the very wet sail panel, not due to direct leakage. I would think if the sunroof drain hose was loose or had had popped off of the sunroof assembly, the headliner would've been soaked, but it wasn't. The drain hose looked to me like it was a solid piece of tubing when I pulled the sail panel, so I don't know how it could've been leaking onto the sail panel. Of course, I was investigating in the dark while wearing a headlamp, so it's possible I missed something.

Anyway, I pulled the side trim inside the trunk so I could follow where the drain tube goes to the outside world. When I pulled the plastic hose out of the rubber grommet, I got some amount of water out, so maybe the rubber grommet was clogged up? I ran something through that to ensure it was clear, but for last night I didn't hook the hose back up - I just left the drain hose dumping into a container in the trunk. I want to blow through the hose to ensure it's clear, but I didn't want to do that in the dark when I wouldn't be able to see what was going on at the opposite end as I blew air through it. I'll see if I can get to that after work today. I also made a run to Home Depot last night and picked up some hanging dessicant bags to put in the car to help dehumidify the interior; when I get home from work today I'll open up all the windows to let it air out.
Old 11-09-2018, 11:11 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Met some people for a huge car show here in Ajman.

Ended up being a huge turnout.

-Byron
Old 11-09-2018, 05:23 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Looking at swapping on my snow tires, trying my grimmspeed exhaust adapter flanges and a used Hurst shifter installation for Sunday so I got a present for my V:

Old 11-10-2018, 07:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by isis

Looking at swapping on my snow tires, trying my grimmspeed exhaust adapter flanges and a used Hurst shifter installation for Sunday so I got a present for my V:

I had one like that that worked twice and then the drive gear was kaput.
Old 11-11-2018, 06:59 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Finally got off my *** and replaced the stock mount with revshift insert out for the new style creative steel one.

Hopefully it plays better with the UMI mounts than the old style did. It's the same height installed as stock mount with insert.

The old style CS mount was taller and caused alignment issues in my car, which is an oddball.

-Byron
Old 11-11-2018, 11:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by heavymetals
dammit. Hope I have better luck but I did see the gears are plastic.
Old 11-11-2018, 04:26 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by heavymetals

dammit. Hope I have better luck but I did see the gears are plastic.
worse than anything I thought. The entire jack started to tip as the metal teeth that mesh the lower two frame pieces folded like tinfoil. What a POS. Could’ve really messed things up if I didn’t have a helper and a few real jacks on-hand.
Old 11-11-2018, 07:59 PM
TECH Enthusiast

New style mount is in and wonderful.

Very smooth and is almost exactly the same height as what I took out. The stock mount with insert had sagged slightly and was 1/8" lower .New style is exactly OEM height.

-Byron
Old 11-12-2018, 06:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

I got the shifter and snow tires done. Decided not to mess with the exhaust. Took about 3 hours to get the bolt out of the bottom of my Azn-modded stock shifter. What a pain. Hurst is really short and notchy.
Old 11-12-2018, 07:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

...Hurst is really short and notchy.
I’ll take that as meaning you like the modified stock shifter better than the Hurst?
Old 11-12-2018, 11:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ls1247

I’ll take that as meaning you like the modified stock shifter better than the Hurst?
I think I like them both. My modified stock one was destroying the pivot ball so it was getting pretty terrible. This is better but I’m probably going to get the taller handle for it sooner or later. It’s a little short for my tastes. Definitely more extreme than I had anticipated.

I could see why a person wouldn’t care for something this low and tight feeling. I’ve only driven it for the 5-minute commute this morning so I’m not completely decided I guess. I’m not planning on taking it out though.
Old 11-12-2018, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I think I like them both. My modified stock one was destroying the pivot ball so it was getting pretty terrible. This is better but I’m probably going to get the taller handle for it sooner or later. It’s a little short for my tastes. Definitely more extreme than I had anticipated.

I could see why a person wouldn’t care for something this low and tight feeling. I’ve only driven it for the 5-minute commute this morning so I’m not completely decided I guess. I’m not planning on taking it out though.
Put a McMaster Carr shift **** on it. Raises the height somewhat and adds weight to the shifter which helps smooth it somewhat.

-Byron
Old 11-15-2018, 01:45 PM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I had the taller stick and the McMaster Carr shift ball. Shifted fine just didn’t like the noise!
Old 11-15-2018, 03:22 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

Driving it the passed couple of cold days (30’s and 40’s) the V is stiff and has some unfamiliar vibrations until it’s got some heat in it. Not sure if it’s the tires or chassis.
Old 11-15-2018, 03:54 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4EyedTurd1
Driving it the passed couple of cold days (30’s and 40’s) the V is stiff and has some unfamiliar vibrations until it’s got some heat in it. Not sure if it’s the tires or chassis.
probably both. What tires do you use? I have some eagle RSAs that I’m just gonna five up on finally. Hard tires just suck on this car. They’ve lasted 40k (rotating with snow tires so maybe more like 25k) and they’re only 2/3 gone probably. I just can’t take it anymore and I’m not as car-poor as I used to be when I decided on a super high mileage tire.

theres also a cold weather spec power steering fluid that could help if that pump gets noisy in the cold.
Old 11-16-2018, 09:20 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ls1247
I had the taller stick and the McMaster Carr shift ball. Shifted fine just didn’t like the noise!
The noise is one of the reasons I switched to the CS shifter from the Hurst.

I like the way they both drive, but for NVH and adjustably the CS has a definite edge in my book.

-Byron
Old 11-16-2018, 12:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

I’m probably just going to leave it as-is and get used to it. I do like how it shifts.
Old 11-17-2018, 05:43 PM
TECH Regular

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's what the V did to me

car has 60k
Old 11-17-2018, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

probably both. What tires do you use? I have some eagle RSAs that I’m just gonna five up on finally. Hard tires just suck on this car. They’ve lasted 40k (rotating with snow tires so maybe more like 25k) and they’re only 2/3 gone probably. I just can’t take it anymore and I’m not as car-poor as I used to be when I decided on a super high mileage tire.

theres also a cold weather spec power steering fluid that could help if that pump gets noisy in the cold.

Sumitomo tour plus are what was on it when I bought it and they have lots of life still. Seeing that harmonic balancer photo reminds me of how mine seems to wobble. ****, I need to change it before it leaves me stranded.

Quick Reply: What did you do to your V today?