Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Aftermarket control arms. Whats your opinion on this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2014, 02:09 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BudRacing
Rockauto had those replacement control arms for $66/each last week when I was browsing parts. By the time you factor in the cost of bushings and a ball joint you might as well just buy the whole arm. It's just aluminum, so you can throw the old ones in the recycling bin with your beer cans.

Also, after messing with poly bushings in the control arms of g-bodys I will never use poly on control arms again. The squeaks will drive you crazy no matter how well you lube them during install. Makes the car sound like a mid 90's explorer that some {insert prejudice expletive here} drives.
I didn't see the lowers offered at rockauto.
Old 02-21-2014, 02:29 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The lowers aren't offered as they aren't considered a wear item and have serviceable parts. The uppers are.
Old 02-25-2014, 12:25 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FuzzyLog1c
According to the people on the Cadillac Forums, you can't press out the upper control arm bushings. But nobody has tried it. Plenty of people have replaced the lower control arm bushings. If that's something you want to do, there's a $70 A-frame Arbor press sold at Harbor Freight. There's also a 12 ton version that works over a much wider range of distances, but it's 6 feet tall instead of 30".

http://www.harborfreight.com/6-ton-a...ress-1666.html

I have three objectives with the aluminum spindles:
  1. Reduce unsprung weight
  2. Increase wheel clearance
  3. Improve caster/camber angles

That's not true. Reduction of unsprung weight improves ride quality and responsiveness to steering inputs.

It's not that complicated. Don't lose sight of the fact that this is simply a second pump in a clearanced plastic bucket. We're futzing around with different line diameters and fittings right now, but in the end, I'll put up a simple parts list. If you have no natural inclination for this stuff, just follow the steps in Philistine's thread, or wait for mine.

By the way, the most complicated part of the installation, by far, are the electrical subsystem improvements--and that's coming from an electrical engineer. Regardless of what you choose to do, ALL avenues of attack require larger cabling and some type of electromechanical control system (either a switched network power supply or PWM input voltage controller). The stock connector on the CTS-V bucket with the stock pump is known to melt the lid and leak fuel on the ground. It's happened to three members that I'm aware of.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...g-smoking.html

Fuzzy is correct, the upper control arm bushings can be pressed out, however, no one does that. I will be doing it with my Revshift bushing install that I will be doing in the coming month. It's not hard, but it's definitely not fun.
Old 02-25-2014, 02:21 PM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Man, how did I miss reading through this thread?!
Old 03-01-2014, 04:08 PM
TECH Resident

The rock auto uppers wieght 2.6 pounds each with all the bolts.
Old 03-19-2015, 10:30 AM
TECH Junkie

Bringing this thread back from the dead.

I'm wanting to replace my upper control arms, but I'm not having much luck finding parts other than mevotech. Aside from a dealer counter, any suggestions on where to find better parts?
Old 03-21-2015, 12:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

What's wrong with Mevoteck; they fit great....
Old 03-21-2015, 08:01 AM
TECH Addict

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by 54inches
What's wrong with Mevoteck; they fit great....
Fit is only part of the equation.

http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=474625

http://www.nissanclub.com/forums/general-nissan-altima-discussion-1993-2001/313674-mevotech-ball-joints-tie-rod-ends-beware.html

There was a discussion about this on owners forum a year or so ago but couldn't find the link..

They work ok in some applications, not so great on others...

Sorry about links working off cell phone..
Old 03-21-2015, 08:55 PM
TECH Addict

Apples to apples please......this is a CTS-V thread, where did you see failure on Mevotech upper replacement control arms for our platform?
Old 03-23-2015, 02:59 PM
TECH Junkie

Apples to apples please......this is a CTS-V thread, where did you see failure on Mevotech upper replacement control arms for our platform?
The upper ball joint is my only real concern. It's a pretty critical wear-item that I'd rather replace right the first time.
Old 03-23-2015, 03:14 PM
TECH Addict

I can't find any direct testimonials about these on a CTS or a V1 so when I can't eat apples, an orange will work.

I see you have looked into this before....

https://ls1tech.com/forums/cadillac-...ervicable.html

Fuzzylogic managed to replace the upper ball joints by taking a dremel to the upper ball joint retainer. That was over on Owners forum but he deleted all of his post for the most part...

But if he can do it, you should be able to...

good luck.
Old 03-24-2015, 12:08 AM
TECH Addict

I have done it twice, but replacing the whole assembly is a better idea, since mine is not a race car.

I have had a quick failure after replacing the joint as opposed to the arm.

So with no failures or bad reviews on mevotech arms on our platform, I will stick with my decision since the prior method has shown failures.
Old 03-24-2015, 06:30 AM
TECH Addict

I have done it twice, but replacing the whole assembly is a better idea, since mine is not a race car.

I have had a quick failure after replacing the joint as opposed to the arm.

So with no failures or bad reviews on mevotech arms on our platform, I will stick with my decision since the prior method has shown failures.
So you are having a positive experience with mevotechs?
How many miles have you put on them?

What was your experience like replacing the balljoint? I was getting ready to rebuild a set of arms but would appreciate the details.

Thanks!
Old 03-24-2015, 08:10 AM
Teching In

The next project on my 04 V is the front end. I need new shocks and upper control arms. With this being mostly a street car. And maybe a once or twice a year track school car. How often to you need to grease the Creative Steel bushings? Is it every month or every oil change?
Old 03-25-2015, 11:22 AM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by dtaylor
The next project on my 04 V is the front end. I need new shocks and upper control arms. With this being mostly a street car. And maybe a once or twice a year track school car. How often to you need to grease the Creative Steel bushings? Is it every month or every oil change?
If you're talking about control arm bushings it would likely be every oil change. Earlier if they squeak sooner. I found that cold weather really brings out the squeaks.
Old 03-25-2015, 10:00 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by ls1247
So you are having a positive experience with mevotechs?
How many miles have you put on them?

What was your experience like replacing the balljoint? I was getting ready to rebuild a set of arms but would appreciate the details.

Thanks!
I am.

Like I said before, I had a tough time one one balljoint each time I changed them out. It was weird.
Old 03-29-2015, 02:41 AM
On The Tree

Just fyi to anyone considering what RockAuto has; the Moog parts listed are from their R Series "economy" line.
Old 03-30-2015, 06:49 PM
TECH Addict

this week....their inventory changes weekly....
Old 03-30-2015, 11:55 PM
On The Tree

this week....their inventory changes weekly....
Won't matter. From what I can tell Moog doesn't make their signature premium versions for our car.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:18 AM
TECH Junkie

FYI, just got this info from a friend that works for NAPA corporate:

"We just changed our suppliers on our control arms to Mevotech from Federal Mogul. We have two lines, though--NAPA Chassis Parts (NCP), the better line, and a retail line called Master Ride Chassis (MRC). NCP is Mevotech."

From what I've seen, there are only 2-3 big players in the market right now.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket control arms. Whats your opinion on this?