Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Replace that driveshaft bearing!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2017, 06:46 AM
TECH Addict

Received 111 Likes on 87 Posts

The one in the center fell out when we separated the front half and back half. I had NO idea what a PITA that was going to be. I'm just going to pretend it needed balancing anyway...
Old 04-01-2017, 11:19 AM
TECH Addict

...and 3 dedicated driveshaft shops refused. Finally found a Pedro, literally Pete's CV and axle in Alief, who said he could do it. Fingers crossed!
Old 04-01-2017, 11:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

If he can't, and you still have the halves indexed... I can help you do it. As long as indexed you shouldn't have to balance it.

I will say bud, I've never had a center joint fall apart. The rears I've had slip and spill their *****.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:55 AM
TECH Addict

Well, it's all back together nice and neat...and it needs balancing. Not sure if my indexing sucked or if he missed it.

I appreciate the offer, man, but it only vibrates above 40 so I can drive to my mechanic since he's doing the clutch this week anyhow and I'll just get it balanced while it's out. No way I'm taking this shaft apart again, LOL!

FWIW, almost all the clunking is now gone at low speeds. Notably tighter! Pretty sure all that's left is clutch and FW related, it's nominal.
Old 05-18-2017, 11:40 PM
TECH Resident

I'm looking for someone who is in the position to try something with their driveshaft. The process requires you to unbolt the part of the driveshaft..

Preferably someone who has our carrier installed on their shaft. Message me if you feel you'd like to give my idea a try.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:54 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by jmilz28
FWIW, almost all the clunking is now gone at low speeds. Notably tighter! Pretty sure all that's left is clutch and FW related, it's nominal.
I had to alter my driving habits which had been developed to compensate for the clunky OE driveline. I actually use 2nd gear a lot more now! What play I do have left seems to be the lash in the diff.
Old 06-11-2017, 01:02 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I have terrible clunking and this is indeed the problematic spot.

Last edited by kra86; 06-11-2017 at 03:08 PM.
Old 06-11-2017, 04:24 PM
TECH Addict

Suggest you send your shaft in to voodoochikin and have him do it.
Old 06-11-2017, 09:27 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 103 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by voodoochikin04
I'm looking for someone who is in the position to try something with their driveshaft. The process requires you to unbolt the part of the driveshaft..

Preferably someone who has our carrier installed on their shaft. Message me if you feel you'd like to give my idea a try.
I've got a second shaft available to mess with now that I'm running the dorman shaft.

What do you need unbolted?

I'm playing with other carrier bearings so it'll be tight later on. I have a 2pc design I'm going to test with my old one. I would be happy to Frankenstein further if you want.

-Byron
Old 06-11-2017, 10:37 PM
TECH Resident

I want someone to bolt their front driveshaft flange hard mounted to the transmission output.. keeping the flex disc in place but instead of staggering them, bolt them together..so they are solid. Then align the carrier with where it wants to be.. and drive it that way.
Old 06-12-2017, 03:20 PM
TECH Addict

I want someone to bolt their front driveshaft flange hard mounted to the transmission output.. keeping the flex disc in place but instead of staggering them, bolt them together..so they are solid. Then align the carrier with where it wants to be.. and drive it that way.
I considered this after aligning the carrier using this method. Are you just wanting to rule something out? What's the play here?
Old 06-12-2017, 07:36 PM
TECH Resident

I'm curious if with the full support of the poly, and it's flexibility, if it can handle solid mounting to the transmission
Old 06-12-2017, 10:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

You can't because the thrust load from anything other than a straight cut gear differential will cause the driveline to expand and increase the misalignment angles.
Old 06-13-2017, 08:27 PM
TECH Resident

Any expansion is taken up by the plunging CV joints...not the guibo....
Old 06-14-2017, 02:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't have any bearing noise or anything but i have a regular thunking i can feel in the armrest like something is bumping the tunnel over bumps. And now that I've been driving the car more I'm feeling pretty significant vibes over 60 mph that I used to attribute to my shitty hard tires. Could this be the carrier? I'm about done commuting in it since my driver is almost fixed so I'll be crawling under it later this summer. Is it pretty obvious if the carrier is shot even though the bearing isn't noisy? My engine mounts and diff bushing are poly and i have a trans mount insert as well. If the carrier is bad, did i cause it?

Sorry if this has been asked. 34 pages is a lot of noise.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:01 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by isis
I don't have any bearing noise or anything but i have a regular thunking i can feel in the armrest like something is bumping the tunnel over bumps. And now that I've been driving the car more I'm feeling pretty significant vibes over 60 mph that I used to attribute to my shitty hard tires. Could this be the carrier? I'm about done commuting in it since my driver is almost fixed so I'll be crawling under it later this summer. Is it pretty obvious if the carrier is shot even though the bearing isn't noisy? My engine mounts and diff bushing are poly and i have a trans mount insert as well. If the carrier is bad, did i cause it?

Sorry if this has been asked. 34 pages is a lot of noise.
It sounds like the same tproblem I have. Best way to check is go underneath and try to grab and wiggle the driveshaft in the center where you can see the driveshaft carrier bearing. The rubber that has that bearing is most likely ripped or torn. The bearing may be ok, but the rubber surrounded it gets old and rots away with age. Natural property of soft and compliant for NVH rubber is it ages rather quickly. ~6 years and it begins to break down. My driveshaft wiggles because of this worn area that was made Cadillac soft, not strong like Z06 power.

If the rear diff is the problem, try to grab the rear diff and see if that moves when you wiggle it. It should be tight. Mine is tight.
Old 06-14-2017, 03:23 PM
TECH Resident

The thumping can be because of shot rubber allowing shaft to bang around. The vibrations could very well likely be the rear CV joint drying out.
Old 06-14-2017, 05:37 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The OE carrier support exhibits a lot of movement under transition of power that shouldn't be there, regardless of the condition of the other bushings fore and aft. I had poly motor mounts, trans mount, front diff bushing, and cradle bushings before I did the carrier mount service. It made a major improvement in driveline feel.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:38 AM
TECH Resident

Some updates:

We had a quality issue with our carriers which delayed our last batch, those have been resolved.

We also had issues with a flaky waterjet guy who made our clamp tools, this has been resolved as we were able to source another manufacturer who can provide consistently.

A change has been made to DIY kit, where we no longer are doing the return tool policy. The price is now fixed, and you don't have to worry about getting the tool back on time. It's easier for all parties this way.

Final note: we are fully stocked and ready to service or ship! Thanks for all the support guys!
Old 06-20-2017, 04:46 PM
On The Tree

Finally installed my updated driveshaft and it's amazing. No more vibration!

Quick Reply: Replace that driveshaft bearing!!!