Cadillac CTS-V 2004-2007 (Gen I) The Caddy with an Attitude...

Weird Problem. Replaced Camshaft position sensor, ended up with more issues.

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-2014, 07:14 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Weird Problem. Replaced Camshaft position sensor, ended up with more issues.

I had codes p0371, p0372 and the usual random hard backfiring starts. Today I replace the camshaft position sensor with a new Delco part. I did it my friend/tuner's shop. After replacing the sensor it was tough to get started just like it would do previously but now the coolant temp sensor wasn't reading and the fans were on. My friend hooked up his HP Tuners and I had a P0372 code and a p0118 for the coolant temp sensor but if he cleared the codes the coolant sensor would work for about 15 seconds and then shut off again and throw a code. The sensor reads incorrectly. At one point it worked it's way up to 240, then you turn the car off and on and it reads in the 80's. Never a problem until the first start after changing the cam sensor.

My thoughts, does the wiring for the these two sensors share a ground or anything else in common? Maybe the cam position sensor is not the correct part. Are there any differences in these cam sensors between model years? It looked the same. I didn't remove the intake to replace the sensor, I just slid it forward enough. Everything went back together correctly there is nothing unplugged ect. My friend's inclination was that my computer is going bad but he didn't have much time to mess with it and I'm not convinced it is the computer. I'm going to pick up a coolant temp sensor now and I may swap in the old camshaft position sensor to see if I regain my coolant temp sensor.

Last edited by Lbar; 05-08-2014 at 11:09 PM.
Old 05-08-2014, 09:48 PM
On The Tree

I believe you need to do a CASE learn after replacing the Cam Position Sensor, your friend should be able to do it with HPTuners.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:19 PM
On The Tree

I said the same thing but he told me that wasn't true. We were just texting. There was one other issue, the caddy had an o2 sensor throwing a rich code without being out of spec. He thinks it has to be a ground or a pcm issue.

I'll check the grounds tomorrow or over the weekend. Does anyone know how many ground wires there are on the V's? I'm sure there is 1 by starter coming from the battery. 1 by the alternator. Probably 1 on the back of a head. Any others? Any ideas are appreciated. I always eventually figure out a problem but this is my least favorite kind.
Old 05-08-2014, 10:41 PM
On The Tree

1 last detail. When working under the hood I could hear a high pitched electronic frequency noise. I noticed a complaint about a noise like this from someone posting about similar problems. It was an older thread with no solutions. The ignition wasn't on, my keys were in my pocket. Most wouldn't notice it but I have sensitive ears. I couldn't track down where exactly it was coming from.
Old 05-09-2014, 08:26 AM
TECH Addict

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I would check all grounds.
Old 05-16-2014, 03:18 PM
On The Tree

All grounds checked, nothing found.

New and old camshaft position sensor tested side by side with a meter, all #'s equal. Both sensors are fine. Put the old sensor back in the car. Tested the connector, power and ground are ok. Signal wire to PCM not tested.

Coolant sensor, a new sensor did not change anything.

My tuner/friend seemed pretty convinced it was the PCM so I bought one an installed it. No change.

Replaced my weak battery with a new one because the old couldn't live through the 30 minute key relearn.

Next step, I'm going to replace the pigtail on the coolant sensor see if that changes anything. I found another thread on here where someone had the p0118 code and starting issues that stemmed from a bad plug end. It could be another sensor not throwing a code causing issues with the 5v reference? I don't know. I'll figure it out eventually. Let the nightmare begin.
Old 05-16-2014, 07:37 PM
On The Tree

I stuck a fishhook into the coolant temp sensor wires one by one and tested it with a meter. There is continuity between it and the plug end, and nothing across the ends so it is not a faulty plug causing the P0118.
Old 05-21-2014, 04:56 PM
On The Tree

For any future thread viewers. Two new wires from the PCM to the ECT and 1 new signal wire to the CMP fixed the car.

My guess as to the cause of the problem was power steering fluid running down the wire loom into a separation where the ETC sensor wires T off. The fluid degraded the insulation causing my problems.

Now, back to threads about plasti-dipping wheels and grills.
Old 05-21-2014, 10:22 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Lbar
For any future thread viewers. Two new wires from the PCM to the ECT and 1 new signal wire to the CMP fixed the car.

My guess as to the cause of the problem was power steering fluid running down the wire loom into a separation where the ETC sensor wires T off. The fluid degraded the insulation causing my problems.

Now, back to threads about plasti-dipping wheels and grills.
I wish all threads ended with a follow up instead of a dead end thanks!!!

Quick Reply: Weird Problem. Replaced Camshaft position sensor, ended up with more issues.